exactly the same setting i use...works great with no problems
    07-15-09 09:46 PM
    My wife just got home and saw both Tour's and said, "Now what did you do?!" LOL! I had to show her the difference. She could not believe how "sticky/laggy" the left to right was on the orginal Tour compared to how the selection just zips around effortlessly on the new one. The difference is really day and night. Seriously consider getting a replacement if you're having this problem. It's worth it.

P.S. As a reference point, mine was just about as bad if not worse than the Tour in the Engadget video. Now it just zips around like you wouldn't believe.
    That was exactly my problem. My trackball wouldn't scroll to the right properly unless you pushed it down to the point right before clicking. "Feathering" it exacerbated the problem.

The funny part was, though, that I had to go to 4 different Verizon stores for them to replace it. They kept saying "It's fine! Look!" and scrolled around real quick, putting a lot of pressure down. They just wouldn't listen! Every non-Verizon person that used it (many long time BB users) recognized the problem. Finally at the last store, I was vague about the problem and the customer service guy saw the problem right away.

This is NOT a sensitivity issue! 2 of the stores adjusted the settings and did battery pulls. It's hardware, not settings and software.
    07-15-09 10:27 PM
    no change for me at all...

when scrolling, it doesnt feel like the trackball is connecting to the rollers

it feels very "slippery", the ball feels like it has no traction at all sometimes
    Yeah, same with me.
    07-15-09 10:29 PM
    I use 80/70 personally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 10:42 PM
    Mine wasn't responding to downward scrolling earlier today. It would just sit there and not move on the screen. It would go left/right and up just fine, but down didn't work at all. After a while it started working again. I think it just needs to be broken in.

And my trackball works just as good if you have a little pressure on it, it really doesn't make a difference. But obviously applying less pressure is easier for the user.
    07-15-09 10:47 PM
    It's definitely not a "pressure" issue, it happens no matter how much pressure is applied. It happens to me and my financee and I didn't even need her to tell her about it, she just noticed it playing Word Mole. It's definitely only left>right and it kinda does feel as if it is slipping. I suppose it could be software issue or it just needs to be broke in but how long are we willing to wait to see if its fixed before we can exchange it for a new one? I have adjusted the sensitivity a few times but it makes no difference. It's not a deal breaker for me, just an annoyance.
    07-15-09 11:18 PM
    I've had my Tour for about 5 days and it's going back for replacement because of this left/right issue. Yes I can "feather" it and it's somewhat better, but I don't like that restriction at all coming from 8830 land, especially having read about people successfully getting replacements that work better. Also, on day 2 the ball completely locked up in the down direction for half a day which wasn't wonderful. Nice device for the most part but dodgy trackball I'd say. (That and an awful lot of application delay spinners...)
    07-21-09 10:02 PM
    I'm on 90/80.. I'm taking mine to a Sprint store to see whats up tomorrow
    07-21-09 10:30 PM
    I had them replace mine today, new one works perfect. Don't pay full price for a flawed handset.
    07-21-09 10:35 PM
    you should not have to "feather" the ball for it to work properly. I finally took mine back and got my tour replaced today and my trackball works amazing now with any amounts of pressure.
    07-21-09 10:48 PM
    there is another thread started about trackball fix. In that thread the op stated that if you pressed the trackball down and rolled it around and around side to side and up and down.
    Try locking keys first. But after a few minutes of doing this many report that they have a perfect working trackball.
    I gave it a try and it worked for me.
    try it.
    07-21-09 10:55 PM
    Does anyone know if you take it into a store can they just replace the trackball for us? Would hate to risk exchanging one problem for another if you know what I mean.
    07-21-09 11:23 PM
    I'm having a slight issue going from left to right. It doesn't always happen but happens when I'm scrolling thru the menu or scrolling across a line in the browser goto field. The cursor will either be moving very slowly or will jump around. The only thing is I don't want to exchange my phone for another one bc everything else is fine on this phone e.g., battery cover and battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 11:25 PM
    I have the left to right problem.. I just got off the phone with Sprint and I have a new Tour on the way..
    07-22-09 10:12 PM
    I had to go to VZW store and get a new one. It took 3 tries (well only 2 really, but the second box had already been open.. no thanks) and I now have a responsive trackball. The most frustrating thing was that every rep I spoke to I had no clue what I was talking about and basically were calling me a liar. Sorry buddy, I'm not happy with the phone, give me the ******* one off the wall if you'd like but I'm not leaving until I'm happy. When we finally found one, even he said he realized there was a difference. Just be persistent.. I just paid $242 for the damn thing, you're crazy if you think I'm gonna walk out of the store with a track ball that doesn't even work.
    07-23-09 02:06 AM
    Hi All,

I'm on Bell, and have my scroll wheel set to 90/70 and the horizontal is still killing me. I'm coming from an 8900 which was amazing (well as much as the scroll wheel can be). Since it sounds like hardware I'm going to have to call Bell up since i'm no where near the store I original got the phone from. But no matter how light or not I use the horizontal it seems to skip the inner wheels. Using hte two side by side drives me crazy due to the difference. I don't like that it's inset to begin with..but the scrolling problem is crazy.

I guess I'll have to try for a hardware replacement as well..
    07-23-09 04:48 AM
    Last night my left/right scrolling got so bad it would only go up/down. I was at a restaurant thinking I was going to Verizon that night. So I thought what the heck and blew air as hard as I could into the trackball area. Now it has worked perfect since 5pm last night in any program. Zero problems. I wonder if there are pieces of stuff in there from when it was manufactured? It works better now than when I took it out of the box.

I know you probably shoudnt blow air into it, but it was to the point it was going back anyways.
    07-23-09 06:59 AM
    I can duplicate the issue people are having with the left to right scrolling just by adding slight pressure. I guess we will see as more users post their findings.
    Also all you people who ever had a PC that stopped working I was able to duplicate the issue by throwing my PC out the third story window, therefore the only obvious conclusion is you also threw your PC out a third story window. (2nd and 4th story windows are also possibilities but I need to conduct further testing)

On a serious note I tried the push hard and roll it around fix and it helped, I am thinking there may be some type of film or oil left over from the manufacturing or assembly process that needs to be worked away.
    07-23-09 08:18 AM
    I always try to apply very little pressure to the trackball when I scroll.
    07-23-09 08:35 AM

On a serious note I tried the push hard and roll it around fix and it helped, I am thinking there may be some type of film or oil left over from the manufacturing or assembly process that needs to be worked away.
    That's what I was thinking. I can't see any other reason for this fix to work other than there is something in there that shouldn't be and this gets it out of there or wears it away.

The way mine felt, it was as if the track ball was physically getting caught on something that stopped it from scrolling. Working great now though.
    07-23-09 08:48 AM
    WHOA less pressure does make it work better time to dial down from 90/90...I feel so...noob? haha
    07-23-09 08:51 AM
    I had the tour for 1 day I had the issue with the left/right problem. I had sprint replace the phone with a new one and now I don't have any issue with the trackball.
    07-24-09 09:37 PM
    If you rest your thumb on the ball a bit, and then glide, going horizontal can be touchy, you'll have misses. vertically it's fine.

going left and right on facebook was especially difficult.

I run 90 horizontal. 70 vertical.
    07-24-09 10:22 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD