So I get it now. My trackball has gotten progressively worse since I got this tour. It's pretty noticeable now. Should I clean it? Is this a software thing, or a hardware thing?

It's pretty effing annoying.
    08-30-09 11:53 PM
    One with your post knowledge should know the usefulness of searching. Some say software, some say hardware. I'm pretty content that it is hardware. There are a ton of trackball this and trackball that threads already on the Tour forum here. Seek and ye shall find.
    08-30-09 11:55 PM
    Thanks for the response. I do search a lot, but to prevent you from telling me to search again I'll search more.
    08-30-09 11:56 PM
    it depends...
    If the trackball seems to struggle only going in certain directions while working fine in others.. That is a hardware issue. In which a hard press down on the trackball seems to be helping people. It did wonders for mine.

Course it could just be gunked up... maybe a swab with some alcohol may help as well....

I'd try a battery pull, then go with wiping it with cotton swab and alcohol, then I'd try the press down hard trick... not too hard now :P
    08-30-09 11:57 PM
    Thanks I'll try those..
    08-31-09 12:06 AM
    I don't particularly recommend pressing down hard on it and rolling it around. I did that following the advice of Verizon rep and it made my trackball worse. Maybe I pressed it too hard. I don't know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 12:18 AM
    **take the following with a grain of salt**

called up vzw with trackball issues... (if you go into options/status: then type in "test" you can do tests to see the key responses) my trackball was not scrolling left very well.

Anyway, i told them my problem and asked the guy if this was a known issue. He said that it actually was a known problem and the new ones come with a fix.
    08-31-09 01:53 AM
    i recently replaced my trackball because of this. it was getting worse and worse. replacing it cost me 4$ and some change from amazon.com.
    08-31-09 03:09 AM
    There was an internal memo posted over at blackberryos.com stating that RIM acknowledged the fact that some devices have defective trackballs. Therefore it is a hardware issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 05:39 AM
    Excerpt of memo posted by Bryan over at BBOS:

"Reports of the trackball intermittently not responding or functioning properly. RIM has determined a limited number of devices were not assembled properly causing an intermittent issue where the trackball might not function properly. New inventory is being received from RIM that is confirmed not to be impacted by this issue. This stock will be indentified with a Green dot on the cartons. Blackberry Tours with camera (BB9630TR) will start to ship by 8/21. Blackberry Tours without camera (BB9630TRNC) will start to ship the week of 8/24. The Green dot will be phased out after new stock is cycled. Screened Certified Like-New Replacement stock will be available for shipments via Direct Fufillment on 8/19."
    08-31-09 05:51 AM
    **take the following with a grain of salt**

called up vzw with trackball issues... (if you go into options/status: then type in "test" you can do tests to see the key responses) my trackball was not scrolling left very well.

Anyway, i told them my problem and asked the guy if this was a known issue. He said that it actually was a known problem and the new ones come with a fix.
    Thanks for telling how to do that test!
    08-31-09 06:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD