ok first of all im sorry to scare you but i couldnt think of a better title, now i know with the curve to clean the trackball you could pop it out and clean it, but im worried about the trackball on the tour will it have issues with dirt if so how would you clean it. Bold users do you have any trouble with your trackball?
    07-05-09 12:54 PM
    ok first of all im sorry to scare you but i couldnt think of a better title, now i know with the curve to clean the trackball you could pop it out and clean it, but im worried about the trackball on the tour will it have issues with dirt if so how would you clean it. Bold users do you have any trouble with your trackball?
    The Tour has a black trackball, so you may not have to worry about cleaning it.
    07-05-09 03:11 PM
    Yeah bold users dont have the same trackball it would be better for you to ask the 8900 users , but i assume with the atomic trackball being black and all , you will not have any dirt issues.
    07-05-09 03:16 PM
    im talking about dirt getting behind it and hanging it up
    07-05-09 03:16 PM
    im talking about dirt getting behind it and hanging it up
    I am also curious about this. Would one have to disassemble the case in order to take out the trackball out and clean the rollers?
    07-05-09 03:18 PM
    Dont think it wil be an issue , the gap isnt big enough , way smaller then the 8330 . i mean unless your digging holes everyday , i think you will be fine
    07-05-09 03:18 PM
    good to hear
    07-05-09 03:24 PM
    shouldnt be a problem on with the trackball on the tour. the gap is extreamly small when compared to the 8900
    07-05-09 03:39 PM
    Hey Bro!

If there is a trackball dirt and dust will get in from time to time
    from overuse of numerous clicks.

The tour seems to be sporting the atomic trackball, found
    on the 8900. RIM claims that the atomic trackball is silky smooth and
    its design stops dust, dirt and debris from impacting performance.
    *My trackball on 8900 has occasional jams and sticks to a side.

Best solution is prevention, so use the pouch it came with,
    mind where you set the phone down when not in the pouch, and
    keep fingers clean after eating finger foods.
    07-05-09 03:40 PM
    Best solution is prevention, so use the pouch it came with,
    mind where you set the phone down when not in the pouch, and
    keep fingers clean after eating finger foods.
    All good advice.
    07-05-09 03:53 PM
    You can always replace the ball....
    07-05-09 05:16 PM
    Ok replacing the trackball requires taking the 8900 apart and voiding the warranty. Now I've had my 8900 since febuary and haven't had much problem with dirt. Under most circumstances if the trackball starts getting diffiucult to roll. All that needs to be done is pressing down on the ball and giving it a few sharp rolls. They feel a bit different than the larger ones used before but they really are close to maintenance free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 05:47 PM
    I was in Verizon today for an issue with my notebook but they happened to have a Tour in the store they let me drool over.

The trackball is significantly different from the standard BB trackball. As already stated, it's much more flush with the device and the crevice around the ball itself is significantly reduced. It was the first thing I noticed, actually, this change in the trackball and trackball mount. Coming from an 8830 I'm used to having to pop the trackball out every few months or so to clean it (since the gap between the ball and the bezel may as well be the Grand freaking Canyon). My initial impression was that they've really worked to make that problem less of an issue.

The ball itself is black, yes, but it's an entirely different texture. It feels softer and has more give than the typical hard plastic trackball, and the surface is silky as opposed to the rougher grained trackball on the 8830.

One thing that bothered me was that the trackball on this specific Tour had little chunks missing from it, like someone had gotten overzealous with a fingernail. So keep that in mind; you may be used to digging in for grip on the old-school trackballs, but if you try that on the Tour you could end up with a piece missing.

Also, the SP noticed the red aftermarket (obviously replaced) trackball on my 8830 and mentioned that VZ had started carrying replacement trackball kits in the store; apparently so many people were having problems RIM went ahead and sent them some. I didn't think to ask if it still voids the warranty or if VZ actually changes the ball for you, but I thought it was encouraging that they're at least stocking the little buggers now. (At least in Phoenix.)
    07-05-09 07:23 PM
    Oh, snap, where in Phoenix?
    07-05-09 09:46 PM
    Ok replacing the trackball requires taking the 8900 apart and voiding the warranty. Now I've had my 8900 since febuary and haven't had much problem with dirt. Under most circumstances if the trackball starts getting diffiucult to roll. All that needs to be done is pressing down on the ball and giving it a few sharp rolls. They feel a bit different than the larger ones used before but they really are close to maintenance free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Damn I didnt know that? Is it apparent that its been tampered with? I know on the Curve its impossible to tell.
    07-05-09 10:21 PM
    our store has trackball replacements now...it was a nice surprise when we got our shipment last week
    07-05-09 10:27 PM
    Personally i haven't had any dirt issues with my trackball on my 8330, The Tour's trackball should be fine...I'm not really worrying about the trackball malfunctioning because of dirt/dust issues..
    07-05-09 10:32 PM
    Ok replacing the trackball requires taking the 8900 apart and voiding the warranty.
    No need to take matters into your own hand
    Call the service provider and have them transfer the call to blackberry
    technical support. Explain to the that your blackberry trackball isn't working.
    If your 1 year manufacturer warranty hasn't expired they may send you a refurbished 8900.
    07-05-09 10:41 PM
    Oh, snap, where in Phoenix?
    This was at Scottsdale Fashion Square. Not exactly Phoenix, more "Phoenix area".
    07-05-09 10:43 PM
    Thanks, that's not too far from me. Was it on display or were they just playing w/ it? Maybe I'll call around some local stores here and see if they have one.
    07-05-09 11:01 PM
    Thanks, that's not too far from me. Was it on display or were they just playing w/ it? Maybe I'll call around some local stores here and see if they have one.
    They had it just lying on the customer service counter, actually. I went in to ask about an issue with my mini-notebook but they had a Tour right there in front of me on the counter. The SP called it a "dummy" because it wasn't turned on so I couldn't access the OS or any of the apps or anything, but I was still able to get the feel of the phone itself. So yeah, definitely call around! Just holding it and playing around with it was helpful.

Like, it's a lot lighter than my 8830. A LOT lighter. I've had my 8830 for years so maybe this whole "doesn't weigh ten pounds" thing is old news? But it's new to me. And it's awesome.

It's also pretty effing small. And again, I'm used to the 8830 (which is huge in technological comparison), but I'm a chick and I have super small hands so a smaller keyboard doesn't impact me at all. There was a review of the keyboard somewhere recently, though, where the outer keys of the keyboard were critiqued because their outer edges are flush with the bezel making it hard to push the button, and I get where they're coming from. It's not inhibiting, but you'll definitely notice the presence of the outer bezel when you go to press the outer keyboard keys.

But yeah! lol, go find one! I'm clearly obsessed now.
    07-05-09 11:54 PM
    I was in Verizon today for an issue with my notebook but they happened to have a Tour in the store they let me drool over.

The trackball is significantly different from the standard BB trackball. As already stated, it's much more flush with the device and the crevice around the ball itself is significantly reduced. It was the first thing I noticed, actually, this change in the trackball and trackball mount. Coming from an 8830 I'm used to having to pop the trackball out every few months or so to clean it (since the gap between the ball and the bezel may as well be the Grand freaking Canyon). My initial impression was that they've really worked to make that problem less of an issue.

The ball itself is black, yes, but it's an entirely different texture. It feels softer and has more give than the typical hard plastic trackball, and the surface is silky as opposed to the rougher grained trackball on the 8830.

One thing that bothered me was that the trackball on this specific Tour had little chunks missing from it, like someone had gotten overzealous with a fingernail. So keep that in mind; you may be used to digging in for grip on the old-school trackballs, but if you try that on the Tour you could end up with a piece missing.

Also, the SP noticed the red aftermarket (obviously replaced) trackball on my 8830 and mentioned that VZ had started carrying replacement trackball kits in the store; apparently so many people were having problems RIM went ahead and sent them some. I didn't think to ask if it still voids the warranty or if VZ actually changes the ball for you, but I thought it was encouraging that they're at least stocking the little buggers now. (At least in Phoenix.)
    yeahh they have been carrying them for a while.

every couple months my VZ hookup would give me a new trackball for my 8830
    07-06-09 02:19 AM
    Like, it's a lot lighter than my 8830. A LOT lighter. I've had my 8830 for years so maybe this whole "doesn't weigh ten pounds" thing is old news? But it's new to me. And it's awesome.
    That's definitely one thing I've noticed in the specs and have been pretty thrilled about. After lifting the "brick-like" Storm for months, my short 4 days w/ the Pre proved very refreshing. It just felt like a phone phone, ya know? The Tour's even lighter than the Pre, so I'm pumped.

8830: 4.49 x 2.60 x 0.55 in / 4.73 oz <---Wow, this sucker's just...spread out, haha. A tall wide boy, if you will.
    9530: 4.43 x 2.45 x 0.55 in / 5.50 oz <---Fatty!
    9630: 4.40 x 2.40 x 0.60 in / 4.58 oz <---Clearly works out.
    Pre::: 3.90 x 2.30 x 0.67 in / 4.76 oz <---Short and very toy like.
    07-06-09 09:35 AM
    I was a little concerned going back to a trackball but then again, I never had a problem with my old trusty Curve. But I used to sell phones and lord... The amount of busted Curve's and Pearl's I saw was insane. All thanks to the trackball.
    07-06-09 09:45 AM
    Haha, yeah, I'm a little freaked out about the trackball too. Mostly because I've never used one!
    07-06-09 09:56 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD