Well my two month old refurbished 9630 Tour just had its trackball bite the dust on me. The problem with it is that the click or enter function on it no longer works even while scrolling is just find. If I push down real hard on it and hold it in for a few second sometimes I will get it to click.

Is this still a known problem with the Tours? Apparently mine was refurbished Jan 3rd, 2010.

I'd prefer to have it fixed by the manufacture(RIM) or at a local sprint store but they have been giving me the run around. First RIM tells me sprint takes care of repairs and then sprint tells me the warranty is invalid since I'm not on an active postpaid account with them. I'm on their prepaid brand(Boost Mobile). Makes me glad I bought a Squaretrade warranty however I have a feeling they wont repair it using proper OEM RIM parts/do as good a job.
    08-19-10 12:11 AM
    Getting warranty services via carrier can sometimes be a sticky situation, especially when dealing with a secondary acquisition source for your device.

Does the Enter key on your keyboard work? If not, you'll definitely wanna use the service Squaretrade sets you up with. ONce done, it's up to them to keep up with your satisfaction.

The manufacturer doesn't typically repair warranted devices, those services are nearly always contracted to a 3rd party resource. That's just the nature of the business.

Better to get your device repaired as you can, and not worry until there's something to worry about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 01:02 AM
    Yeah its just the clicker part on the trackball. The enter key still works and so do all the other keys. My guess is its some sensor part that's under the ball that went out.

Just hopefully it wont be a reoccurring problem with the Tour. I'd hate to have to keep sending it into squaretrade to be fixed. I'm still waiting on them to send me the shipping label so i can send it. The process seems kind of slow so far.

To bad its still unknown if Bold 9650 works on Boost Mobile(sprint prepaid) because it would have avoided the trackball all together
    08-19-10 06:15 PM
    I changed my own track ball and didn't worry about help from anyone.
    Go to youtube and look up track ball replacement for the tour (there is alot of good videos).
    Thackball was like $5 on ebay.
    It is actually easy.
    08-20-10 12:26 PM
    I changed my own track ball and didn't worry about help from anyone.
    Go to youtube and look up track ball replacement for the tour (there is alot of good videos).
    Thackball was like $5 on ebay.
    It is actually easy.
    Yeah I'd be very tempted to do that myself. Only thing is it voids the warranty supposedly since you have to take the entire thing apart to replace the trackball. In my case I have a feeling its the sensor underneath the trackball that went out. Since I bought the two year warranty plan from squaretrade I might as well go that route.
    08-20-10 05:48 PM
    is this a common problem with the trackball?
    08-21-10 08:48 AM
    when i first bought my tour i was eeehhhh because i heard about everybodys trackball not worrking but now hving my tour forrrr 8 months? not one single problem with the trackball hmm maybe its certain tours lawlz do u play brickbreaker alot thats probably why
    08-21-10 12:00 PM
    i sometimes get a piece of sand stuck in the trackball and it gets stuck and won't go a certain direction for a day or two after the beach, but it usually works fine. its not a good design, and it kinda seems like it got worse over the years too....glad they got rid of it, but i'm not sticking around to watch blackberry's quality control get any worse personally...i'll be moving to the evo in a few weeks it looks like.
    08-22-10 03:25 AM
    I was often outdoors with mine and consequently had to clean the trackball about once a week if not sooner. Finally talked myself into getting a warranty replacement for the faulty signal/signal fluctuation and being unable to hold a 3g signal at all. The ball still worked ok, just had to keep cleaning it from time to time.

We'll see how this "like new" one holds up. It feels a bit different than the original (July 09 production date on that one)...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD