My contract with Verizon is up and I'm looking to get a new Blackberry, either the Tour on vwz or the Bold through at&t.

My main issue is that in about a year there's a good chance I'll be moving to France. I don't know a ton about technology, but I know that with a Verizon Blackberry you can continue to use the email/bbm/etc abroad, though calls and texts are expensive. If I get a Bold through at&t, would I be able to replace the sim with a French one and use a French carrier? (Can you do that with a data plan?)

I'd prefer staying with Verizon and the Tour seems like a newer, nicer phone, but I'd rather plan ahead.

Thanks!
    07-23-09 10:23 PM
    My contract with Verizon is up and I'm looking to get a new Blackberry, either the Tour on vwz or the Bold through at&t.

My main issue is that in about a year there's a good chance I'll be moving to France. I don't know a ton about technology, but I know that with a Verizon Blackberry you can continue to use the email/bbm/etc abroad, though calls and texts are expensive. If I get a Bold through at&t, would I be able to replace the sim with a French one and use a French carrier? (Can you do that with a data plan?)

I'd prefer staying with Verizon and the Tour seems like a newer, nicer phone, but I'd rather plan ahead.

Thanks!
    I believe that if you're a Verizon customer, they will unlock the Tour for you thereby enabling you to use it with a European carrier just like the Bold.
    07-23-09 10:28 PM

Thanks!
    The Tour is definitely worth it. I think it is every bit as good as the BOLD and I think its been well established that Verizon is the better network. I think its lame when people switch networks JUST for a phone. Do you use the Verizon 10 Family and Friends? If so, hands down Verizon. Not sure if BOLD has WiFI (can't remember) but if it does, don't let that hold you back because Verizon has such great coverage that you don't need Wifi....and if so, not that often.
    07-23-09 10:33 PM
    I believe that if you're a Verizon customer, they will unlock the Tour for you thereby enabling you to use it with a European carrier just like the Bold.
    that's great to hear, but will they do it in the middle of my contract?
    07-23-09 10:45 PM
    I have my Tour unlocked. They gave me the unlock code the day I got it. Also, the Tour has 2x as much app memory as the Bold so you can enjoy more apps (installed and at a time) with the Tour.
    07-23-09 10:53 PM
    Another thing to consider is coverage. For me, the best money I ever spent was my ETF to leave AT&T. Verizon has been fantastic. BB and iPhone wielding friends of mine are always complaining about data issues on AT&T.

On a side note, having your phone unlocked doesn't have any benefit unless you're traveling outside the country. Domestically, there is no difference between locked and unlocked.
    07-23-09 10:57 PM
    Didn't completely read your first post but the Tour has the French (and European) 3G band.
    07-23-09 10:58 PM
    As stated in the post above this the Tour uses the 3G band of European GSM carriers. That is why it is labeled as a World Phone along with the Storm. Verizon has no problems giving you the unlock code for your device as long as you are current on your bill and have been a customer for at least 6 months. That's not to say you can't get the code on point of purchase because you can do that also just state what your plans are and they are usually more than helpful with you.
    07-23-09 11:22 PM
    I talked to a friend today who has an AT&T iPhone. The call was dropped 3 or 4 times in 45 mins--I was on a landline so it wasn't from my end. That confirmed why I have stayed with VZW. They are expensive and don't always get the newest thing first, but the coverage is a bottom line to me.
    07-24-09 12:28 AM
    Somebody should plant WMD's in France so we can bomb them next : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 12:42 AM
    Somebody should plant WMD's in France so we can bomb them next : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sweeeeeet Dudeeeee!!111!!!
    You are funny!! +10 Char Cereal killer FTW +1 !!!!!!!1111!!!
    07-24-09 05:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD