I bought a DVD player entertainment center that has a USB port made specifically for an ipod but it keeps blinking "reading" when I plug in my BB. I know they're different devices but, in theory, shouldn't it work either way? Is there a certain setting I should be using?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 12:23 AM
    I don't think the BB has media-out through USB
    11-10-09 12:27 AM
    It might work but be careful you are not providing the wrong power to the BB. Do you have Mass storage mode enabled?

The more standard way would be to use the headphone jack with the appropriate adapters to your entertainment center. Or I've read there are bluetooth options (don't know about them).
    11-10-09 08:34 AM
    It might work but be careful you are not providing the wrong power to the BB. Do you have Mass storage mode enabled?

The more standard way would be to use the headphone jack with the appropriate adapters to your entertainment center. Or I've read there are bluetooth options (don't know about them).
    Yea this is a good point made here, make sure that you have the mass storage mode enabled before you try something like that. Seems like something that shoudl work in theory but if it was specifically made for the ipod then I'm not sure if it will work. If it just says that any media playing/mp3 playing device works then the BB should work since it can play music just like any of those other devices. Good luck and post back to say how it went cuz I'd be curious about that also.
    11-10-09 09:26 AM
    i second that, must be in mass storage mode, (think ps3). or use headphone jack
    11-10-09 09:52 AM
    the only media-out the BB is capable of is stereo audio out. There is no video-out. It's not really a media machine. The HTC Touch Pro 2 has full media-out capabilities with an add-on cable.

If your DVD or other device will actually go into a mass storage device and pull the media off of it, like an XBOX can (through its media extender) then that's one thing. But a simple media-in jack will not work with the BB.
    Last edited by Furballz; 11-10-09 at 11:22 AM.
    11-10-09 11:20 AM
    So I tried the BB with my XBoX, both connecting it directly via USB as well as connecting it through my laptop. The XBOX plays media off the laptop all the time, but will not find the BB. In fact, Windows Media Center won't find the BB either (and yes, mass storage mode is enabled), which leads me to believe that there's no way of streaming video from the device at all. The only output is, like I said, a stereo headphone connection from the phone.
    11-10-09 11:44 AM
    Yes I had mass storage enabled, but I'm wondering if they make something with a 3.5 jack on each end?
    11-10-09 12:19 PM
    sure they do. Male to male 3.5mm stereo connector. Ebay for about $1.99.
    11-10-09 12:22 PM
    that should do the trick then, right?
    11-10-09 12:24 PM
    if you want to play audio from the BB through an auxiliary jack in another media device, yes.
    11-10-09 12:26 PM
    i'm a little confused i guess... my receiver has a headphone jack but it doesn't seem like that would work. maybe a better option would be the 3.5mm to RCA?
    Last edited by cassith; 11-10-09 at 12:34 PM.
    11-10-09 12:31 PM
    you could do that too.

But keep in mind that "headphone" means output. Whereas "AUX IN" means input. You can't run a cable in to a line-out.
    11-10-09 01:13 PM
    aha, that makes sense. sometimes you have to spell it out for me! lol

Thanks for the clarification. Are there any other options to hook up my BB for a car stereo(other than an FM receiver)? It doesn't have the AUX IN like all of the newer cars, just a CD player...
    11-10-09 01:27 PM
    sadly no. I'm in the same boat, or car, as it were. You can either try to rewire the radio behind the dash and install your own input jack, or you have to use a mini FM transmitter, most of which are pretty crappy.

The only way I've ever found to listen to an iPod or BB in my car is to use headphones. I've gone through 3 mini FM transmitters and they've all been junk.
    11-10-09 01:46 PM
    me too, haven't found any good FM transmitters

i'm gonna have to get an aftermarket stereo put in i guess, or downgrade to a tape deck! surely there's someone that can get it rigged for me!
    11-10-09 01:53 PM
    If you have ford you can hook it up for sync. But as for a good fm transmitter I have used many and none hold a candle to the one made by Monster. Its a tad pricy but 10000 percent worth it.

11-10-09 02:29 PM
    Depending on your stereo, they make auxiliary input adapters. For instance, in my Honda, I was able to purchase an adapter that plugs in to the back of the factory stereo. The adapter has RCA cable inputs. So almost any thing can be connected via RCA inputs (with appropriate cable). With this adapter, it functions as the CD-changer input for my stereo. I don't have a changer, but the stereo will support it. So, to listen to my BB or anything else, I just switch the control to CD-Changer and start listening. With this, it's a direct connection too, not an FM transmitter (which I agree is junk).

11-10-09 02:40 PM
    so i need to take my factory stereo out, and if there are RCA inputs, hook up the correct cable from there, run it to the front of the stereo and then put it back in? if this doesn't work, i found that most aftermarket stereos are made with the AUX IN so i may have to just get one.
    11-10-09 03:53 PM
    so i need to take my factory stereo out, and if there are RCA inputs, hook up the correct cable from there, run it to the front of the stereo and then put it back in? if this doesn't work, i found that most aftermarket stereos are made with the AUX IN so i may have to just get one.
    Some factory stereos have RCA inputs on the back. Mine did not. But, it did have a hookup for a CD changer (which I didn't have), so the radio could control it if there was one. The adapter that I bought plugs in to the jack on the back of the stereo where the CD changer would. On the other end of the adapter were RCA inputs which allow me to connect anything directly to the stereo.

Many of the new factory and aftermarket stereos do have AUX inputs. You'd have to weigh the cost of getting one, installing it yourself or having someone install it for you. I just opted for the adapter as I didn't want to hassle with making it fit in the dash with everything else and lose the use of the controls on the steering wheel.

Before you remove your stereo, call a local shop or your dealer and ask them what kind of connections are on the back. It could save you quite a bit of work.
    11-19-09 08:10 AM
    my husband's a mechanic so it was a not a big deal for him to remove and replace our factory stereo. it doesn't have any kind of hook-ups so it looks like we'll be buying an aftermarket stereo. i really hate the interface of the aftermarket stereos, they're ugly and almost useless with the tiny buttons.
    11-19-09 09:29 AM
    I agree, I've never seen an aftermarket radio that was any good. They're all over-designed. I guess they need to market themselves to 17 year old boys while sitting next to a bunch of other radios.

Had an elderly acquaintance who needed a new one in her Buick, bought the cheapest one, and it had goofy blue and red flashing lights all over it when she drove. Funny as ****.
    11-19-09 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD