On this forum no matter what the original topic was it always ends up in the same place: WiFi or Verizon. (or both, those are the longest threads of all)
    06-02-09 02:07 PM
    Wifi more than makes up for 3g. 3g means squat to the average user and less to an average BB user. 8900 all the way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I think 3g means more to the average user then wi-fi does..

the average user (as you say it) is more likely to not know how to use wi-fi and or how it works..

so this I don't believe

the average user may not know what 3g is but they know when there device is slow
    06-02-09 05:34 PM
    On this forum no matter what the original topic was it always ends up in the same place: WiFi or Verizon. (or both, those are the longest threads of all)

well when you compare the differences of the tour vs phones that are on GSM networks the biggest difference is wi-fi usually...

so its expected to be honest.
    06-02-09 05:35 PM
    So whats wrong with that? This thread is about comparing the Tour, Bold, and Jav. WiFi is a big comparison to the two GSM models. How could you NOT put it in the conversation?? Your post makes no sense. Its a great part of this comparison to discuss WiFi.
    06-02-09 07:31 PM
    So whats wrong with that? This thread is about comparing the Tour, Bold, and Jav. WiFi is a big comparison to the two GSM models. How could you NOT put it in the conversation?? Your post makes no sense. Its a great part of this comparison to discuss WiFi.
    Here's the thing. If the original question had involved WiFi or the service providers, then that would make sense.

The things that irritates me, is that any discussion about devices always seems to come back to WiFi. What the original post had asked about was just a comparison of the devices themselves.

Like I stated earlier, I am with VZW and have never used WiFi and don't see a use for it at all...for me. The benefits of WiFi are relative to the customer. So since the person who started this thread had asked about which DEVICE was better, then talking about WiFi is ridiculous. The fact that the 8900 has WiFi does NOT make it a better device than the Tour. Especially if WiFi is useless to you, as it is for me and many other people.

So basically, the no-nonsense way to put it is that the Bold and Tour are comparable devices. So what you'd then base your decision on is carrier/coverage.

And once again, while the 8900 is a nice BB, I don't think it compares to the other 2 devices and doesn't even belong in a comparison, unless you just happen to prefer the size or look of it overall.

So no one is saying that WiFi is bad or anything. It just doesn't make one device necessarily "better" than another one. It's really up to the customer.

And it's not a problem to discuss WiFi in relation to the phones, but I'm pointing out that people say their BB is the superior device just because their carrier enables WiFi.
    Last edited by Bittersweet BB; 06-02-09 at 08:47 PM.
    06-02-09 08:44 PM
    Here's the thing. If the original question had involved WiFi or the service providers, then that would make sense.

The things that irritates me, is that any discussion about devices always seems to come back to WiFi. What the original post had asked about was just a comparison of the devices themselves.

Like I stated earlier, I am with VZW and have never used WiFi and don't see a use for it at all...for me. The benefits of WiFi are relative to the customer. So since the person who started this thread had asked about which DEVICE was better, then talking about WiFi is ridiculous. The fact that the 8900 has WiFi does NOT make it a better device than the Tour. Especially if WiFi is useless to you, as it is for me and many other people.

So basically, the no-nonsense way to put it is that the Bold and Tour are comparable devices. So what you'd then base your decision on is carrier/coverage.

And once again, while the 8900 is a nice BB, I don't think it compares to the other 2 devices and doesn't even belong in a comparison, unless you just happen to prefer the size or look of it overall.

So no one is saying that WiFi is bad or anything. It just doesn't make one device necessarily "better" than another one. It's really up to the customer.

And it's not a problem to discuss WiFi in relation to the phones, but I'm pointing out that people say their BB is the superior device just because their carrier enables WiFi.

and the fact that the bold has wi-fi

the tour has more memory

I mean honestly most the topics that turned into the discussion of wi-fi were by comparing devices without it to those with it..

wi-fi is a huge difference..

a person should choose carrier before a phone thats what I do...

but if someone wants to debate the phone itself
    that is where the conversation is going to go..

the topic title

tour vs bold vs curve....

carrier not even mentioned...

sorry but I stand by the fact that wi-fi is a valid topic to discuss inside this thread...

now if the entire thread gets turned into a wi-fi rant/rav then its another issue

but hardware wise that is a huge difference sorry.
    06-02-09 08:56 PM
    I guess I'm not explaining myself clearly enough.

I'm not saying that discussing WiFi is not valid. I'm simply saying that WiFi doesn't necessarily make something a BETTER device to have. It depends on the person's needs.

So someone posting that their 8900 is the best hands down because it has WiFi seems silly to me. Really? The WiFi makes it the best ever? Doesn't leave much to be said about other features of the phone then does it?

That's all I'm saying. I didn't say not to mention WiFi. I'm saying that if someone is asking you about 3 different phones, that maybe it would be constructive to talk about more than just WiFi (which gets brought up in numerous threads already). What's good for some isn't always good for others.

The person who started this thread may not give a hoot which carrier he has because they all work in his area, and just wants to know which phone has the overall package before you even talk about carriers and which use WiFi or not. Does that make sense?

So go ahead and talk about WiFi. I just think it's irrelevant to say your device is the best of 3 because it has WiFi. I don't think I can make it any clearer than that.
    06-02-09 10:13 PM
    The best way I can describe the Tour is that it is pretty much a mixture of the 8900, the Bold and the Storm. If you put those 3 phones together, you'd probably get something very similar to a Tour.
    06-03-09 10:02 AM
    Wifi more than makes up for 3g. 3g means squat to the average user and less to an average BB user. 8900 all the way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think this statement couldn't be any closer to a complete fail.

3G doesn't mean squat to the average user?

How many times am I in a McDonalds browsing the internet, or a Coffee shop.. hmm.. well.. None so far.

I rely heavily on my 3G Coverage. And there are a TON of things/apps on BlackBerry that heavily rely on data speed
    06-03-09 10:07 AM
    BTW Radio and CX have also stated the 9630 has the BEST browser compared to any other current BB Model.

I think thats worth mentioning.
    06-03-09 10:09 AM
    Being a former iPhone owner/At&t customer I can say that in my area the 3G sucked and I relied on my wi fi because if I didn't have a strong signal then I needed it. For those saying 3G is the same speed as wi fi your crazy your wi fi connection speed depends on the internet speed of your wi fi location. I always used my wi-fi over 3g because there was a huge difference in load speed.

I was very skeptical of the storm's lack of wi fi when I switched to verizon because of how much I used it before. To correct the others, Verizon phones don't use 3G signals/towers. Verizon has their own network and to my experience its faster and more reliable than 3G. None of the blackberry devices for the storm come equipped with wi-fi. I guess its their way of trying to show off how good their network is.

As far as the phone comparison, I think the tour is the verizon version of the bold. I'm interested in it because I'm looking for an alternative to this touch screen storm. I wanted a bold before but had to leave At&t because of poor service with my iphone.

And I don't think the software in the phones allows you to switch networks/carriers. I got another year before I can update hopefully the price will be cut in half by then so I can get a tour, but who knows maybe Verizon might have a better blackberry by then.
    07-28-09 03:24 AM
    the tour is a bit more similar to the 8900 curve.
    i'm not sure how it will line up to the bold.

the curve is AWESOME!!!!
    08-04-09 04:32 PM
    Currently I need 3g way more than I need WiFi. So the Tour works for me perfectly.
    08-04-09 05:20 PM
    Curve is the most sold because it had 5 models; 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8900.
    That's why its so popular.

There isn't going to be 5 96xx Tours, so it won't be the most sold phone.
    Couldn't be more correct. 83x0 Curve isn't popular because it's the best phone out there, it's just readily available at a low price point.

Anyways, on topic.

It is like NEITHER. It is it's own class as the only "modern" CDMA Blackberry with a keyboard. You really don't have a choice if you require a CDMA network, you're stuck with the Tour. I don't see why people bother comparing because you live in an area where VZW or Sprint isn't available (highly improbable), you're stuck with the 8900 or Bold. I find it only logical to compare phones (that are only offered on a certain carrier)...within that carrier.
    Last edited by redwanhuq; 08-04-09 at 06:11 PM.
    08-04-09 06:08 PM
    Basically...

The Bold is the most powerful and fastest blackberry with the largest physical screen and keyboard and the most powerful battery because it needs it. It has 3G and WiFi.

The Tour has virtually the same specs as the Curve 8900 except for the fact is lacks WiFi but has 3G. It however, follows the Bold's flush-joined keypad.

The Tour and Curve have the same 524 mhz Qualcomm processor, same camera, same app memory etc...

As for which is better, obviously the Bold is the most powerful and fast, but is hampered by it's weaker camera and lower app memory. I basically do a battery pull every 3 days to keep it zippy.

When it comes to the Tour and Curve 8900... I prefer the Tour's stylings but lament the lack of wifi. But WiFi is only great if you do not have an unlimited international data plan. I was in New Delhi india and just used skype over the hotel wifi to avoid roaming data charges.

But since Verizon is the U.S. largest coverage carrier, you will be plenty covered with 3G.

No matter what people say, I've noticed upto 3-35 second difference when browsing on 3G vs EDGE.

WiFi is only essential for browsing, but 3G not only is faster browsing, but better call quality and reception. It does drain battery faster though.

And I've used my Bold plenty enough by now to notice that I browse nearly 90% of the time on 3G as opposed to WiFi which is only ever at home or if I travel internationally.

As for the screen's, The Bold's is the largest at 2.5" but has 40 less pixels vertically. The Tour screen may appear bigger than the curve, but in actuality it's the same "space" because it adds a little black border around the screen which the curve 8900 does not.
    You will not be able to tell any difference between the Bold, Tour or Curve 8900 screens no matter what anyone says.

For you CDMA users, the Tour is perfect because although I don't like Verizon's business practices, they do deliver great coverage and data plans.

I can't speak for everyone but in all honesty, 3G is much more important than WiFi in the long run. While WiFi is a great feature, it's not a necessity like 3G really is.
    08-04-09 08:58 PM
    Doesn't anyone have some comparison chart for all the specs on these phones? Does anyone else think RIM releases too many similar models?

See, for example, Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996 which helpfully shows the different specs of different models.

A chart would help people hone in on the features they care about. ie I agree with some, could care less about WiFi capabilities, care much more about 3G -- but really care about app memory (which nobody eslse has even mentioned).
    03-15-10 12:10 PM
    You might want to start a new thread since this one is 7 months old...

Doesn't anyone have some comparison chart for all the specs on these phones? Does anyone else think RIM releases too many similar models?

See, for example, Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996 which helpfully shows the different specs of different models.

A chart would help people hone in on the features they care about. ie I agree with some, could care less about WiFi capabilities, care much more about 3G -- but really care about app memory (which nobody eslse has even mentioned).
    03-15-10 02:11 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD