Makes sense with the dates they gave on 5.0.

Looks like I will have to get the phone at retail as my 1 year contract isn't up till January........at least I will have a upgrade 5 months later for whatever is the new device coming out then!
    05-07-09 10:21 AM
    works for me, assuming it's not too big (coming from a Pearl, sorry)... my upgrade is in August.
    05-07-09 10:30 AM
    did we really get a release date after all that moaning that it wasn't going to be announced at WES?

And with CX countering that even if we had gotten an announcement, it wouldn't have included a release date -- im skeptical to believe this.

extremely excited, but skeptical.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 05-07-09 at 11:27 AM. Reason: language
    05-07-09 11:10 AM
    Ok, first post. I know this is a bit off topic, but I have the choice of getting a Curve or 8830 (both Verizon) now (free) or waiting for some future "Tour" release (where I may have to pay some/all). I don't have a blackbery now, just a standard cellphone, and I am dying without email access. Looking for any advice.

Thanks.
    05-07-09 11:23 AM
    @Roostr

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBZAX
    For myself, as well as others, there are 2 issues:

1. When will the 9630 come out on Verizon, and
    2. How long until all the "bugs," if any, are taken out.

Many are aware that Storm owners had (still have?) problems with their Storm device, but, from what I understand, the 9630 will not, or at least should not, have similar types of issues given that it is not a touchscreen. That having been said, no device is perfect at launch, so I would think that there would be some bugs to kink out.

Based on the foregoing, I am contemplating purchasing a used 8330 for now and probably keep it a month or two (or more if necessary) until the reviews establish that the phone has little or no bugs.

I would purchase the 8330 if you have never used a blackberry before.. you might find it doing everything you want it to do and no real need to buy the 9630.. just a suggestion since it will save you a lot of money
    You're question was answered a couple posts up^
    05-07-09 11:29 AM
    @Roostr

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBZAX
    For myself, as well as others, there are 2 issues:

1. When will the 9630 come out on Verizon, and
    2. How long until all the "bugs," if any, are taken out.

Many are aware that Storm owners had (still have?) problems with their Storm device, but, from what I understand, the 9630 will not, or at least should not, have similar types of issues given that it is not a touchscreen. That having been said, no device is perfect at launch, so I would think that there would be some bugs to kink out.

Based on the foregoing, I am contemplating purchasing a used 8330 for now and probably keep it a month or two (or more if necessary) until the reviews establish that the phone has little or no bugs.

You're question was answered a couple posts up^
    He changed it.. now he has the option of an 8330 or 8830 for free.. still would go with teh 8330 due to larger memory and better form factor unless you travel a lot out of the country then get the 8830 for the ability to roam onto gsm...
    Since you have never used a smartphone before and just really want it for e-mail the 8330 is all you probably will ever need... unless you find yourself wanting a lot more features or the ability to run a ton of software at once then eventually you will want to upgrade but i have a feeling for the average noncrackberry user the 8330 will be all they ever need... atleast till supersmartphones come out
    05-07-09 11:35 AM
    I might get this thats around my birthday or I might wait for the storm 2 dilemmas.
    05-07-09 11:36 AM
    kb has yet to provide information that was incorrect... just because CX said a date wouldnt be announced, doesnt mean it was not going to happen. CX cannot announce a date even though he does know it. Whether he is able to vaguely agree with KB is another story. But KB is usually 100% on what he says.
    05-07-09 11:42 AM
    I wonder what C_X thinks about this new information??
    05-07-09 11:47 AM
    kb has yet to provide information that was incorrect... just because CX said a date wouldnt be announced, doesnt mean it was not going to happen. CX cannot announce a date even though he does know it. Whether he is able to vaguely agree with KB is another story. But KB is usually 100% on what he says.
    oh I'm definitely not refuting the fact that kb is a solid source, nor am i saying CX>kb so gg unless CX confirms.

just interesting how everything has come together in the past 24-48 hours since WES started. (without WES being the main cause/source)
    05-07-09 11:56 AM
    Even still, this date can EASILY get pushed back, although at the moment there isn't much indication that it will be pushed back much, if at all.

Who's gettin a Pre?
    05-07-09 11:58 AM
    This is good to hear if it is accurate, I was heavily debating getting a bold this week and dropping my storm.
    05-07-09 12:03 PM
    Even still, this date can EASILY get pushed back, although at the moment there isn't much indication that it will be pushed back much, if at all.

Who's gettin a Pre?
    Im getting a Pre-Order Blackberry 9630 heh heh.. Forget the Palm Pre! who would want to deal with sprints network.. ew
    05-07-09 12:04 PM
    oh I'm definitely not refuting the fact that kb is a solid source, nor am i saying CX>kb so gg unless CX confirms.

just interesting how everything has come together in the past 24-48 hours since WES started. (without WES being the main cause/source)
    I mean for a moment lets be realistic. RIM leaks information all of the time through people like CX or KB... they allow certain things to be released while others not so much. (its alot less embarassing if an unknown source says something and delays come up versus the bold fiasco )Its not like a few years back when people were posting internal documents. These guys know what is safe for them to release and whats not... They do what they can without endangering their jobs...
    05-07-09 12:08 PM
    I mean for a moment lets be realistic. RIM leaks information all of the time through people like CX or KB... they allow certain things to be released while others not so much. (its alot less embarassing if an unknown source says something and delays come up versus the bold fiasco )Its not like a few years back when people were posting internal documents. These guys know what is safe for them to release and whats not... They do what they can without endangering their jobs...
    on that note -- what's the difference between CX and KB's jobs that allows one to say a date but restricts the other? i don't know much about them other than they know what's up
    05-07-09 12:24 PM
    First post... FWIW

This is the only text in his post:

7-13-2009

This might be only an "announcement" date, right?
    05-07-09 12:24 PM
    I'll be waiting...
    05-07-09 12:25 PM
    Could see this going either way of it being launch date or announcement date. CX said late July to August for release, so this announcement date would be logical.....though I hope it is a release date.

Possible scenario: RIM did not want to take away from BES, but still wanted to "announce" the 9630. The people to announce the 9630 to is people like us. No one else besides people like us care about BB releases unless they are due for an upgrade and are shopping around. If someone wants the latest and greatest they would probably do research and stumble onto a site like this. So RIM leaked it to us without taking any public attention away from BES. Everyone wins, we get info, RIM gets all attention to BES.
    05-07-09 12:30 PM
    Also, I am very curious to see what CX says about this....
    05-07-09 12:31 PM
    Could see this going either way of it being launch date or announcement date. CX said late July to August for release, so this announcement date would be logical.....though I hope it is a release date.

Possible scenario: RIM did not want to take away from BES, but still wanted to "announce" the 9630. The people to announce the 9630 to is people like us. No one else besides people like us care about BB releases unless they are due for an upgrade and are shopping around. If someone wants the latest and greatest they would probably do research and stumble onto a site like this. So RIM leaked it to us without taking any public attention away from BES. Everyone wins, we get info, RIM gets all attention to BES.
    Ha - a lot of other people care about upcoming devices than just crackberry users.
    05-07-09 12:43 PM
    i want this phone..but if the HTC Touch pro 2 is released b4 the tour then im going touch pro2.. i'v been waitting patienly,, but i cant wait very long.
    05-07-09 12:49 PM
    on that note -- what's the difference between CX and KB's jobs that allows one to say a date but restricts the other? i don't know much about them other than they know what's up
    Maybe there is no difference in their jobs, maybe there is who knows. One may just be willing to risk there job a little more than the other. Personally, I wouldn't ever go to the extent of saying some of the things they do if it endangered my job.
    05-07-09 01:00 PM
    Ha - a lot of other people care about upcoming devices than just crackberry users.
    They care but are not obsessed. I was comparing us to the average consumer. People on this site are not average consumers of Blackberrys ha
    05-07-09 01:02 PM
    man i thought i was IP banned from hofo, apparently not....lol
    05-07-09 01:03 PM
    BGR has got it up naming Kevin as the source.

Although they contend that it may be another day of that week....

Next in line to get scooped on this fine Thursday afternoon? How about a little BlackBerry Tour 9630 love for all you RIM addicts out there? Over the past few weeks we’ve been getting some pretty consistant feedback from various ninjas putting the highly anticipated BlackBerry Tour 9630 on the streets either Wednesday July 15th or Friday July 17th. We’ve been waiting for some more confirmation before running a post but now, thanks to a few email tips, we see that insider kevin byrne from HoFo has placed the launch date on Monday July 13th. Byrne has a good track record and at the very least, he’s always in the right ball park. Judging by our intel at this point we’re leaning more towards the 17th but it’s now a pretty safe bet that one of these three dates is the winner. Sure it’s not as early as BlackBerry-addicted Verizon customers would have liked, but at least now you can gear up for what will definitely be a hot Summer week in July.
    Last edited by SamR6; 05-07-09 at 01:19 PM.
    05-07-09 01:13 PM
104 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD