I know this has probably been done to death, and I apologize. I did do a search but couldn't find a thread.

I've just got a Bold for a very cheap price. I currently own the 8900 also but lack of 3G has finally got me. As I picked my bold cheap I'm wondering shall I keep it or sell it and Import a Tour to the UK? Either way it will only be a stop gap till the Onyx but I need a solution for now. So which is the better device. A bold 9000 or the Tour? Please no suggestions to wait for the Onyx as I plan to get that when it comes out but I need a new fix now. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by humma78; 09-04-09 at 11:42 AM.
    09-04-09 11:30 AM
    the Bold has a faster processor, the Tour has a higher-res screen and a (much) better camera. Remember the Tour has no wi-fi, but if the 8900's wi-fi didn't cut it for you then I guess it's not a consideration.
    09-04-09 11:41 AM
    the Bold has a faster processor, the Tour has a higher-res screen and a (much) better camera. Remember the Tour has no wi-fi, but if the 8900's wi-fi didn't cut it for you then I guess it's not a consideration.
    In the UK Wifi is only utilized when web browsing all calls are made over the network and not via wifi as Ive gathered happens in the US sometimes and the available spots are not very widespread so lack of wifi is not a major issue for me.
    09-04-09 11:44 AM
    Another consideration is where you travel. If you ever come to the US, Canada, Israel, South Korea, parts of Japan, etc etc then you might find the CDMA capability of the Tour handy, which the Bold doesn't have.
    09-04-09 11:49 AM
    Another consideration is where you travel. If you ever come to the US, Canada, Israel, South Korea, parts of Japan, etc etc then you might find the CDMA capability of the Tour handy, which the Bold doesn't have.
    lmao...so what there is no GSM carrier in any of those places?....
    your consideration is not valid
    the Tour has more application memory and a better camera THE END
    the Bold is faster..has wifi.. 1GB onboard storage...and is a stable device
    looks and size are subjective
    09-04-09 12:01 PM
    lmao...so what there is no GSM carrier in any of those places?....
    your consideration is not valid
    the Tour has more application memory and a better camera THE END
    the Bold is faster..has wifi.. 1GB onboard storage...and is a stable device
    looks and size are subjective
    I beg your pardon? There are places that there is no GSM coverage but there is CDMA and vice versa. The Tour can do both. It may not be a consideration to you, but you're only one person.
    09-04-09 12:03 PM
    I beg your pardon? There are places that there is no GSM coverage but there is CDMA and vice versa. The Tour can do both. It may not be a consideration to you, but you're only one person.
    way to go overboard to try to win an arguement.....
    your reasoning is still not valid
    hmm i wonder why GSM users outnumber CDMA users worldwide 8:1 ?
    i think the smart traveller would go with GSM....
    09-04-09 12:17 PM
    Please NO BB wars. I just want to know which phone is better. Thanks.
    09-04-09 12:19 PM
    the bold is more rounded, and by that i mean it has wifi and onboard storage, other than that the differences are minimal, and it just comes down to which one you like better, or what carrier your gonna use if you use the cdma portion of the BB. their both the top of the line. Im on verizon, so i jumped on the tour as soon as i could. but if i had AT&T i would use the bold.

I would keep the 9000 till the onyx comes out if your set on getting it.
    09-04-09 12:24 PM
    O2 is a GSM carrier. The Tours sold in the USA are CDMA. There is a GSM Tour coming to O2, but it is not available yet. A CDMA Tour from the USA would not work properly on a GSM network.
    09-04-09 12:36 PM
    I have owned both in the last month. I kept the Tour BUT the only reason for this was that AT&T was not ideal in my area. The Bold has the best call quality out of any phone I have ever used bar none. Furthermore, the device worked flawlessly... Of course the Tour does too. The only flaw on the Bold is the Camera. If your network is good, keep the bold. Long story short, they are very similar and unless you need the 3.2MP camera, keep the bold.
    09-04-09 12:41 PM
    O2 is a GSM carrier. The Tours sold in the USA are CDMA. There is a GSM Tour coming to O2, but it is not available yet. A CDMA Tour from the USA would not work properly on a GSM network.
    i thought the tour could use gsm since its a world phone and has a sim card or am i wrong n im not tryin to sound sarcastic im bein serious
    09-04-09 12:50 PM
    Keep the Bold
    09-04-09 12:53 PM
    Everything I've read suggests that its both GSM and CDMA.
    09-04-09 12:56 PM
    Everything I've read suggests that its both GSM and CDMA.
    You are correct.

Would it be any cheaper, though, to buy a Tour in the USA?

You could always keep your Bold until you go to the UK, then buy a Tour in the UK and sell your Bold there (or on eBay) once you are in the UK.

Are prices a lot higher in the UK?
    09-04-09 01:15 PM
    Your statement is not accurate.

The Tour/9630 is a CDMA/EVDO RevA, plus QuadBand GSM, plus UMTS2100 device.

After getting it SIM unlocked, it will work on GSM carriers just as good as any other EDGE device, and will give you 3G where the carrier has UMTS2100 service.

The only limit, of course, being related to possible BB service book issues if the intended wireless carrier doesn't sell that model.
    09-04-09 02:47 PM
    Your statement is not accurate.

The Tour/9630 is a CDMA/EVDO RevA, plus QuadBand GSM, plus UMTS2100 device.

After getting it SIM unlocked, it will work on GSM carriers just as good as any other EDGE device, and will give you 3G where the carrier has UMTS2100 service.

The only limit, of course, being related to possible BB service book issues if the intended wireless carrier doesn't sell that model.
    Yes you are correct. My statement was incorrect re: GSM.

O2 does not carry the Tour yet, though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 03:09 PM
    You are correct.

Would it be any cheaper, though, to buy a Tour in the USA?

You could always keep your Bold until you go to the UK, then buy a Tour in the UK and sell your Bold there (or on eBay) once you are in the UK.

Are prices a lot higher in the UK?
    The tour is not yet released in the UK, I've struck a good deal and taken teh plunge and imported one from the US today so I'll have both by next week and can try out which one I like best. Either way I'll be able to sell the one I don't like for a profit.
    09-04-09 08:46 PM
    They're both great phones, but the Tour is definitely a more sleek device. It not only IS the Tour smaller than the Bold, the design is such that it would look smaller than the Bold, even if they were physically identical in size. The Tour is just really a nice piece of hardware. The Bold is cool too, though.

Someone else may need to chime in to confirm this, but I believe there may be some differences in the OS. For example, the stock browser, the media viewer (being able to scroll from pick to pick by just scrolling the trackball left and right).

Being able to use both GSM and CDMA is cool, and might come in handy. Sure, there may be more GSM users in the world, but that doesn't necessarily make it better, or mean that there will always be a GSM signal where there may be a
    CDMA signal.

As others have pointed out, the camera on the Tour is great. Not sure if the Bold's has autofocus, but that really is a cool feature on the Tour. It takes some great shots, and can really zoom in even on the text of a book to take a clear shot.
    09-04-09 10:39 PM
    No autofocus camera on Bold, but I don't rely on a phone when I want high quality photos. Nor do I use autofocus or autoexposure when I want high quality photos. But photography is something I am passionate about.

I like the Bold better since it is larger. I find it easier to type on.

Everyone has his own preferences, though. Neither the Bold nor the Tour is a bad phone.

09-04-09 11:00 PM
    I just sold my bold, but if I had to choose, it would be the Bold over the Tour. I have an iPhone as well, so giving up the bold wasn't too hard.

My reasons for picking the Bold over the Tour:

• Size... it's a big bigger and I like that.
    • Wifi... not as widespread in the US, but makes a heck of a difference to me, especially at home or hotspots.
    • Speed... everything seems to be faster, especially on 5.0.
    • Durability... I'm extra careful with my Tour. I know if I drop it, there will be some marks on it.
    • Less hardware issues... too ball tb issues and other issues being reported.
    • Screen... I like the bigger screen. Not very much, but makes a difference for me. The resolution being better on the Tour doesn't mean much from side by side comparison.
    • USB charging port... I have hundreds of accessories that probably use the standard usb port, and I can easily find someone with a charging cable to get some juice. With the tour... good luck.
    09-05-09 12:22 AM
    ...USB charging port... I have hundreds of accessories that probably use the standard usb port, and I can easily find someone with a charging cable to get some juice. With the tour... good luck.
    You can still pickup the Moto the SKN6252A USB Mini-B to MicroUSB adapter. not sure if the CB Store has it, but eforcity.com does. T-Mobile stores used to when they sold the Razr2/V8 phones. I'm sure you find them on ebay too.

It allows me to re-use all my Mini-B accessories with my MicroUSB phones like the Tour, Storm, FlipPearl, LG Dare, Moto Razr2. I gave a few to my brother when he switched from a Moto Razr V3C to an LG enV2... it saved him from buying all new accessories.

I just don't know of their availability outside the USA, as I've never looked for them anywhere but here.
    09-05-09 07:58 AM
    Tour for sure more app memory better cam. I had a bold on att then switched to sprint and I'm loving my tour. I like the smaller size but the bold had better speakers..

09-05-09 09:09 AM
    I just sold my bold, but if I had to choose, it would be the Bold over the Tour. I have an iPhone as well, so giving up the bold wasn't too hard.

My reasons for picking the Bold over the Tour:

• Size... it's a big bigger and I like that.
    • Wifi... not as widespread in the US, but makes a heck of a difference to me, especially at home or hotspots.
    • Speed... everything seems to be faster, especially on 5.0.
    • Durability... I'm extra careful with my Tour. I know if I drop it, there will be some marks on it.
    • Less hardware issues... too ball tb issues and other issues being reported.
    • Screen... I like the bigger screen. Not very much, but makes a difference for me. The resolution being better on the Tour doesn't mean much from side by side comparison.
    • USB charging port... I have hundreds of accessories that probably use the standard usb port, and I can easily find someone with a charging cable to get some juice. With the tour... good luck.
    So, you pick the Bold over the Tour, but you just sold your Bold?
    09-05-09 01:04 PM
    No autofocus camera on Bold, but I don't rely on a phone when I want high quality photos. Nor do I use autofocus or autoexposure when I want high quality photos. But photography is something I am passionate about.

I like the Bold better since it is larger. I find it easier to type on.

Everyone has his own preferences, though. Neither the Bold nor the Tour is a bad phone.

Sure is nice to have a decent camera phone with autofocus always on me. You know? I'm amazed at how well it can snap pictures of documents. It can almost replace a copy machine for certain things. I needed to make a copy of the side of my Tour box before I sent it back for replacement as proof of what phone I had and sent back. Rather than stick the box in a copy machine, I was able to snap a pic of the pin and IMEI numbers on that sticker on the side of the box, and because of the autofocus on the Tour camera, it came out very legible.
    09-05-09 01:08 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD