Just wondering if anyone has had to have their trackball replaced due to it getting dirty enough to stop working. Because of my work environment, my trackball will probably get too dirty to work properly after about 6 months use. I was wondering if Verizon would replace the phone with a refurbished unit or if they would replace the trackball. The reason I ask this is because the tour is so much different than the curve or any other previous device in the design of how the trackball is integrated within the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 11:59 AM
    Why don't you try cleaning it?
    10-21-09 01:03 PM
    I don't want to take the phone apart or put any rubbing alcohol on the ball. I've read stories of people doing that with the curve and the liquid getting under the screen.

10-21-09 02:40 PM
    Hold the phone upside down and roll the ball bilaterally so that any loose debris will fall out. Afterward, use canned air in an attempt to dislodge any further debris that may be stuck and roll again (while still holding the phone upside down). Then, saturate a micro-fiber cloth with alcohol and lay it on the table and place the phone on it and roll again. You can then elect to blow the ball dry if you wish. This method ensures no moisture will enter the device.
    10-21-09 02:53 PM
    a peanut butter scented device sounds like something rim should market.
    10-21-09 04:17 PM
    a peanut butter scented device sounds like something rim should market.
    Bacon - yes. PB - no.
    10-21-09 04:24 PM
    I once got Peanut Butter stuck in my trackball by dropping the Tour in a can of Skippy once. ...Needless to say I got the Peanut Butter out, but I still have the Skippy smell on the device.
    Lol - that's funny. Next time try Jif! I doesn't smell as unpleasant! Jif... the choice of choosy Moms (or Dads).
    10-21-09 04:34 PM
    yes they will replace it, i have had mine replaced 4 times due to this issue.
    10-21-09 05:53 PM
    Liquid under the screen? I don't think so rubbing alcohol evaporates at room temperature, rub a thin layer over your counter or anything else, you can see it dry immediately.

10-21-09 06:02 PM
    Interesting and funny posts. Thanks for all the laughs and suggestions. I'm loving this tour all day every day. Had a pearl, curve, storm, now tour. None of them really gave me any issues, but this tour just is the perfect design for me.

Does anyone think that there will ever be a way to retrofit a trackpad onto a device that was originally produced with a trackball? I haven't tried a trackpad yet, its just a thought.

10-21-09 06:03 PM
    Interesting and funny posts. Thanks for all the laughs and suggestions. I'm loving this tour all day every day. Had a pearl, curve, storm, now tour. None of them really gave me any issues, but this tour just is the perfect design for me.

Does anyone think that there will ever be a way to retrofit a trackpad onto a device that was originally produced with a trackball? I haven't tried a trackpad yet, its just a thought.

Doubtful, you would have to find a keyboard to fit your frame with a square trackpad hole and even if this was possible I'm sure the sensor for the trackpad is different than the one for the trackball. Assuming you could replace the sensor and keyboard/ trackpad and get the wiring correct it MIGHT work haha

10-21-09 06:06 PM
    is it possible to swap the touchball for a touchpad instead?
    10-21-09 09:18 PM
    is it possible to swap the touchball for a touchpad instead?
    Can you please read the post above yours before posting next time?

10-21-09 09:34 PM
    Can you please read the post above yours before posting next time?

I've been talking to my Verizon business Rep who comes in 1 every other month and he told me that their trying to develop a way to do this. I don't know if he's blowing smoke up my a$$.. (Hes trying to sell me the Storm 2... **** NO). I'm gullible, but not that gullible!
    10-22-09 08:29 AM
    I've been talking to my Verizon business Rep who comes in 1 every other month and he told me that their trying to develop a way to do this. I don't know if he's blowing smoke up my a$$.. (Hes trying to sell me the Storm 2... **** NO). I'm gullible, but not that gullible!
    I created this for this exact reason - http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/will-i-able-put-trackpad-my-tour-my-answer-343511/

Also there's no way they would develop a way to do this:
    A. Installing it would void your RIM manufactures warranty so why would they make a kit to void there own warranty? Not to mention the million of people who would f this up.
    B. The idea in business is not to sell upgrades its to sell new things, think a new Madden NFL every year - sure they could probably patch the game and charge you ten bucks, or release a new one and charge you 60 - they want you to buy an Essex.

Your rep is probably misinformed or simply "letting you in" on a rumor s/he heard.

10-22-09 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD