My Tour was just sitting next to me on my desk (screen off after timing out) and I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the screen suddenly flashed white and then all black. I picked it up and it was unresponsive to any button presses and then it appeared to be booting back up (with the spinning clock thing in the middle).

Once it was all back up again, I noticed that I had received a new message from "BlackBerry" that said that my "handheld has been registered with the wireless network." (I had received one of these messages yesterday while at the Verizon store just after it was set up.)

What just happened? Will a BB update and reboot like that?

Thanks for any guidance!
    Ken
    07-13-09 11:48 AM
    No it won't.. Might be a bug with the OS.. If it becomes more frequent I'd start to worry. It shouldn't do that at all
    07-13-09 11:50 AM
    My Tour was just sitting next to me on my desk (screen off after timing out) and I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the screen suddenly flashed white and then all black. I picked it up and it was unresponsive to any button presses and then it appeared to be booting back up (with the spinning clock thing in the middle).

Once it was all back up again, I noticed that I had received a new message from "BlackBerry" that said that my "handheld has been registered with the wireless network." (I had received one of these messages yesterday while at the Verizon store just after it was set up.)

What just happened? Will a BB update and reboot like that?

Thanks for any guidance!
    Ken
    I wouldn't worry about it
    The reboot thing happened every so often on my 8330...maybe 3 times in 9 months.
    07-13-09 11:55 AM
    I've alos been having this problem since I got my Tour yesterday! So far its rebooted a few times though not so much its becoming annoying - yet
    07-13-09 11:57 AM
    I've alos been having this problem since I got my Tour yesterday! So far its rebooted a few times though not so much its becoming annoying - yet
    What 3rd party apps do you have installed?
    07-13-09 11:58 AM
    Just wait until the OS leaks coming flooding in.

Random reboots will start to decrease.
    07-13-09 11:59 AM
    What 3rd party apps do you have installed?
    So far I haven't installed any 3rd party apps. I'm going to keep an eye on it and keep track of how often it reboots. Hopefully it's an issue that will be cleared up with updates down the line.

Thanks,
    Ken
    07-13-09 12:19 PM
    When I get mine Tomorrow I'm going to keep it 3rd party dry for 24hr doing a few batter pulls to clean up OS
    07-13-09 12:38 PM
    It happens with ALL Blackberries. I don't think I've owned a BlackBerry in recent memory that hasn't done this to me a few times. However, as a PP indicated, if the reboot becomes more frequent and/or is accompanied by an error message, you need to return it.
    Hasn't happened once to my 8330 in 14 months, happened maybe twice over a year with my 8830. This is NOT normal.
    07-13-09 12:46 PM
    It happens with ALL Blackberries. I don't think I've owned a BlackBerry in recent memory that hasn't done this to me a few times. However, as a PP indicated, if the reboot becomes more frequent and/or is accompanied by an error message, you need to return it.
    This is right on point.

And the reason why I mentioned the official carrier OS is because ever since
    the Bold release on AT&T they haven't upgraded to a new, official OS. So in
    the Bold forums mostly every time someone reports all these random reboots,
    it's because they're still running the carrier OS and haven't tried going to
    another release.
    07-13-09 12:47 PM
    I have a Curve 8310 that's never done it in over a year of having it. My Bold did it twice while I had .266 on it. So far I'm 3 weeks into .282, and it seems to have stopped.
    07-13-09 12:54 PM
    By the way, for those that say it hasn't happened for such and such time:

That may be true. But there are times that you may not be looking at your
    phone for a good few minutes and it reboots and is done by the time you
    look at it again.
    07-13-09 12:56 PM
    By the way, for those that say it hasn't happened for such and such time:

That may be true. But there are times that you may not be looking at your
    phone for a good few minutes and it reboots and is done by the time you
    look at it again.
    Not possible for me. My phone is locked after a reboot, and I don't lock my phone, so if it reboots while I'm not looking at it, I would know it rebooted as it would be locked.
    07-13-09 12:59 PM
    My Curve 8330 definitely does this. Slacker Radio will often make my phone reset, and I think it once reset out of nowhere as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 01:15 PM
    I have had many BBs over the years and all of them do this...at least all the ones I have owned. Never to the point of being a problem though.
    07-13-09 01:27 PM
    My phone has rebooted itself 16 times since 11am yesterday with no 3rd party apps installed. Should i worry?
    07-13-09 01:35 PM
    Sometimes I've noticed that if writes to the MicroSD card become hung, it will reboot the device automatically.

Example: Recording video longer than a few minutes, saving pictures to the card, etc..
    07-13-09 02:01 PM
    My phone has rebooted itself 16 times since 11am yesterday with no 3rd party apps installed. Should i worry?
    Did you take the 2GB card out of the Tour and put in a memory card from your previous BB?
    07-13-09 02:03 PM
    Happened to me too about an hour after I left the store. Hasn't happened again ay all so I am not worried about it. I think it just updated itself...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 02:08 PM
    Did you take the 2GB card out of the Tour and put in a memory card from your previous BB?
    No i havent changed from the way the phone came except for hide some factory apps that i never use.
    07-13-09 02:08 PM
    Dang - just had my second (known) spontaneous reboot in less than 24 hours. It may just be a coincidence, but the reboot seemed to occur at about the time when the battery reached its "fully charged" state.
    07-14-09 10:16 AM
    Third reboot just now... I'm growing dissatisfied! It may be time to take it back to the store...
    07-14-09 02:44 PM
    Mine has been doing this lately. Not terribly often, but often enough that it's starting to bug me. This last time I'd just closed Mobipocket Reader, sent a text message, and was opening Bolt. Nothing else but the standard BB stuff was running at the time. The red light went on and the screen went dark. It was rebooted earlier in the day due to a smrtguard update so everything should've been in order pretty much. Mobi reader doesn't seem to be very well designed (it likes to pop out of the ebook and back to the library screen fairly often) so am wondering if that's the culprit. Anyone else seen this?
    08-27-09 04:03 PM
    I've had it happen when I have installed or uninstalled software. The removal and restart process takes up to 10 minutes (which I have read elsewhere as normal). However, this morning I found it was in the process of restarting (??? ...White Screen with Tiny Black Clock) when I picked it up to glance at my calendar. It's a good thing I didn't need the information immediately. It seemed to finish and restart 5 minutes later with no issue. Since I power my phone down nightly when I charge it, I thought it was odd that it would need to run any batch cleanup processes so soon in the day since it had only been on for a few hours.
    08-28-09 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD