BBrepairshop refers to the Bold's protective cover as being a glass lens. Then again this could just be a generic term they use.

"If your screen looks like a tie-dye t-shirt, then you need a replacement LCD. This LCD includes the glass lens premounted. The screen is OEM and guarenteed to be a perfect fit. Fits Blackberry 9000 Bold. There are 3 models. Verify the last 6 digits of the model number on the back of the lcd before ordering. Requires BB Precision Torx T5 driver to perform repair."
    pdarepairworld.com - BlackBerry Repair Parts for BlackBerry 9000 Bold
    06-19-09 06:53 PM
    BBrepairshop refers to the Bold's protective cover as being a glass lens. Then again this could just be a generic term they use.

pdarepairworld.com - BlackBerry Repair Parts for BlackBerry 9000 Bold
    This is what led me to believe that glass was a possibility. That and the fact that it just makes more sense.
    06-19-09 09:36 PM
    This is what led me to believe that glass was a possibility. That and the fact that it just makes more sense.

thats a good point..

has anyone fully confirmed whether the bold has a glass screen?
    06-19-09 10:07 PM
    maybe thats why it has the best display out of the family...ino this does nothing for the argument
    06-19-09 10:15 PM
    I would have to go with glass,( even though it crack easily) if you abuse..plastic scratches to much and easily..I hate seeing the tiny marks on the screen ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 10:44 PM
    hmmm, let me see! Glass or plastic? To me, that's the same as sayin, gold or silver? lol
    06-20-09 01:39 AM
    Personally, I would prefer a sapphire glass lens... much more scratch resistant than glass and similar to acrylic in shatter resistance. Motorola uses this type of lens on the $2000 AURA and Nokia's luxury brand Vertu use it as well. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see this anytime soon, unless RIM spins off a super-luxury line... they're pretty expensive for a simple lens. As for the Bold, my co-worker's Bold really does seem like it has a glass lens, but it could just be a really high quality plastic... it's really hard to tell without trying to shatter it and see what the lens does. The Tour is fairly similar in weight, of course being smaller would account for less weight, but without knowing the exact weight of the internals, I don't know if this is a good measure of whether or not it's screen is made of the same material. Eyeballing the figures, I'd say it's likely, but I'd have to see a Tour in person to be sure.
    Last edited by paultyler_82; 06-20-09 at 02:33 AM.
    06-20-09 02:30 AM
    Maybe it is glass and the weight differential can be attributed to the lack of WiFi.
    06-20-09 07:50 AM
    I just sent a pm to salomondrin, asking him to chime in on this question. He has a Tour, so hoefully he answers.

Besides the look and feel of it, how can you tell if the screen is glass or plastic ?

06-20-09 10:26 AM
    I just sent a pm to salomondrin, asking him to chime in on this question. He has a Tour, so hoefully he answers.

Besides the look and feel of it, how can you tell if the screen is glass or plastic ?

I'm not sure how to explain how you can tell. I've always just been able to. Glass tends to feel a bit smoother, colder, and has a harder sound when you tap it. Glass lenses also have sharper corners than plastic ones, which tend to be slightly rounded on the edges.
    06-20-09 12:06 PM
    This is a simple answer:

Its a very nice plastic. Its not plasticky like the curves, but for sure is not glass.

There ya go.
    06-20-09 12:40 PM
    This is a simple answer:

Its a very nice plastic. Its not plasticky like the curves, but for sure is not glass.

There ya go.
    I still wanted glass. :[

But i'll take CX's word for how nice it is. CX, can you vouch for its scratch resistance? It amazed me how easily my Curve's screen got little nicks and hairline scratches.
    06-20-09 04:51 PM
    This is a simple answer:

There ya go.
    Thanks salomondrin.

06-20-09 05:15 PM
    No doubt LOL LOL LOL awful joke on my side
    06-20-09 05:41 PM
    And yes, thanks Salomondrin... honestly when I read that for some reason I confused you with CX, so that question was actually for you ha, I guess it's a compliment to be confused for him right? ha...
    06-20-09 06:19 PM
    Salomondrin, thanks for the answer! Only took 5 pages of responses!
    06-20-09 06:23 PM
    i dont think the storm has a glass screen i let both my ipod and storm sit on a table after a good 20-30min i touched the screens and the ipod was cooler the storm was just room temp neither cold nor warm...theres a chance i could be wrong tho...
    06-20-09 06:31 PM
    Salomondrin, thanks for the answer! Only took 5 pages of responses!
    You just needed to ask the right person.

06-20-09 07:13 PM
    Haha, I appreciate the support. And it's not that I think the opinions are crappy, it's just that this thread is now three pages and a single answer hasn't been posted (that i have found).
    You know, I think you're kind of being - no wait - in my opinion you ARE being - a major a-hole about it.

I tried to answer in the most helpful way possible. If there is a weight difference between the two then that would offer a clue.

I'm sorry no one here is being specific enough for you - but kind of a major a-hole thing to do, to come back and say basically tell me to go sc rew myself! What's great about this community is the speculation aspects and the community experience of getting to see other peoples opinions and insights. When you come on here and cop an attitude, it really ruins that sense of community. Not to mention, it took the answer several days to come back - as many new posts as get created here ALL THE TIME - your post would have been down towards the bottom. So you owe all of us that you have insulted, a thank you for keeping your post bumped up towards the top. That's what so irritating about you and people like you and the unnecessary comments. That about which you are complaining, is the reason you should be thankful.

TRY BEING NICE - I guess your mother never told you to treat others as you wish to be treated. That's a shame for you.
    Last edited by angelalynn79; 06-20-09 at 07:26 PM.
    06-20-09 07:21 PM
    Angelalynn you are nuts

06-21-09 12:01 AM
    Yeah, maybe sit the next couple of plays out, Champ.

06-21-09 09:57 AM
    hopefully glass...
    06-21-09 10:36 AM
    hopefully glass...
    Someone who has one has already confirmed that it is plastic.

06-21-09 10:43 AM
    I only saw two posts where the poster had some experience w/ the 9630. One of them said it feels like could be glass, the other said it could be plastic. If you're seeing something more definitive, please point it out.

I think creating this thread was a waste of time.
    We need a third person to put up there answer... 2 out of 3 has to be good, right?

EDIT: Well i see that a third person has confirmed that it is plastic... so plastic it is....

What a disappointment... I wanted glass.

Thanks salomondrin
    Last edited by IIIM3; 06-21-09 at 10:48 AM.
    06-21-09 10:44 AM
    We need a third person to put up there answer... 2 out of 3 has to be good, right?

EDIT: Well i see that a third person has confirmed that it is plastic... so plastic it is....

What a disappointment... I wanted glass.

Thanks salomondrin
    No problem! I'm just curious to know. Why would you like glass better? I feel like if you have glass in a phone and drop it, chances are that the screen will break easily, right? The plastic that the phone has looks almost like glass, so its like having the best of both worlds
    06-21-09 11:26 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD