So...

I recently got the Tour because I really do like Sprint and have have been a customer for about 10 years now. However, service where I recently moved to is sketchy (1 bar). They seemed to have discontinued the "roam only" network connections option that used to make my phones work great while in the house.

Because the Tour had a sim card and the ability to roam on the GSM network, I figured this phone would be great for me. Now that I own it, when I try to put it on the GSM setting, it gives me an SOS indicator meaning only emergency calls allowed. WHAT THE HECK? That's the whole reason I got this phone, I don't travel abroad. Anybody know whats going on here, and how do I make my phone roam on AT&T's network without adding something or another to my plan? Tired of the nickel & dime game.
    Last edited by xsport00; 11-10-09 at 04:51 PM.
    11-10-09 04:42 PM
    So...

I recently got the Tour because I really do like Sprint have have been a customer for about 10 years now. However, service where I recently moved to is sketchy (1 bar). They seemed to have discontinued the "roam only" network connections option that used to make my phones work great while in the house.

Because the Tour had a sim card and the ability to roam on the GSM network, I figured this phone would be great for me. Now that I own it, when I try to put it on the GSM setting, it gives me an SOS indicator meaning only emergency calls allowed. WHAT THE ****????? Thats the whole reason I got this damn phone, I don't travel abroad. Anybody know whats going on here, and how do I make my phone roam on AT&T's network without adding something or another to my plan? Tired of the nickel & dime game.

First, you need to unlock your Tour, then buy an AT&T pre-paid SIM card and insert it, and THEN you can use AT&T's GSM network whenever there isn't native coverage available.

The SIM card included with the phone is only for International (i.e. non-U.S.) roaming
    11-10-09 04:51 PM
    Chances are, if you purchased it recently that its already unlocked.
    11-10-09 07:08 PM
    I am not even sure what unlocked means. If I do that to my Sprint phone if it's not unlocked, will it mess anything up?
    11-10-09 07:25 PM
    No need to reply, I just researched what a locked/vs unlocked phone is. Mine appears to be unlocked. Thanks.
    11-10-09 07:37 PM
    Were I to buy a ATT prepaid card and put it in my phone how does this work exactly and would I have to maintain a balance on the sim card and does using my phone on gsm use the minutes or balance on the att sim card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 08:09 PM
    Thought so. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 10:16 PM
    If I get the tour and put another SIm card in it, let's say from ATT (might be able to get added on to someone's family account) or through a prepaid card, is there any way to make calls using my CDMA number? I have a niece who has an ATT sim in hers and when she switches to gsm, it only dials out using her att number instead of her sprint #. It would be nice to be able to receive sms and calls all from one #... I hope this is clear, because while typing, I was even getting a little confused on how to word it.
    Thanx!
    11-11-09 08:13 AM
    So...

I recently got the Tour because I really do like Sprint and have have been a customer for about 10 years now. However, service where I recently moved to is sketchy (1 bar). They seemed to have discontinued the "roam only" network connections option that used to make my phones work great while in the house.
    I had the exact same problem. I had a Touch Pro that I would set to Roam Only in my apartment (had to install a cab file for that). I didn't actually use many roaming minutes so it wasn't abuse but it was nice to have the option to actually make a call from my apartment. I assumed that a BlackBerry would have that option and didn't even think to look into it. I was wrong and I now get no reception in my house. It's actually worse than the Touch Pro was when it wasn't roaming.

I called up Sprint and they are sending me an airave to try. Hopefully that will fix the problem. My reception problem is only in and around my apartment and the phone works great everywhere else. If you're only problem is in your house you should look into an airave from Sprint. They may offer it at no cost or they may tell you its $99 plus $5 per month. That is probably still cheaper than maintaining a pre-paid sim card. Anyone else in your house with Sprint could also take advantage of it (if you allow them).
    11-11-09 09:23 AM
    To the OP and ghostyroasty, you will not be able to have the CDMA and GSM sides active at the same time. You will have to choose and switch back and forth.
    11-11-09 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD