Ok so I've had my tour now for over 3 full days. That gave me enough time to get it set-up the way I want for the most part, although I'm still tweaking things. My overall impression of this device is, well, WOW. It completely puts my Curve to shame.

-Build quality is excellent. Not such battery door issue with mine or my friends on Sprint. That appears to be a VZW issue. Apparently VZW got the first lots of all the 9630's (so they could be first to the finish line with the release) and in doing so got some of the early ones with bad back doors ) Sprint didn't have the massive stock ready that VZW did and thats why you guys are waiting for your backordered devices. (Trust me its worth the wait). The phone feels much more solid and hearty in the hand than my curve. Not to mention its just a sexy looking phone. The trackball is just as it always was, just more recessed in the phone. I have no issues with this. Some may. The new key pad is also a favorite feature of mine. Nice and responsive with good tactile feedback, sans the clicky "thumping' of the curve 83's keys. The one complaint I have with the the build is the fact that the charge/sync port is in the way when you trying to type when connected. Is not that big an issue, and I've already gotten used to it. Adapt and overcome! The Speaker is EXTREMLEY loud if you set it as such, and Slacker and Pandora, calls and ringers to boot, all sound great. I saw that some were upset with the device over vibration issues. I have no such complaint. My device vibrates just like my curve did. It dances on the table when it goes off, and I feel it in my back pocket while in a sleeve, or in the holster when on my belt. The screen is also great. Nice clear and crisp. Vibrant colors and contrast. Watching You Tube vids, TV shows and Music vids is a pleasure.

-The Radio is superb. Big difference from the 8330m I left behind. Which I'm sure some of you are are aware had some serious radio issues.

-Camera is excellent. Big improvement over the curve.

-Call clarity is also excellent. Earpiece can get as loud as you could want and very clear.

-The device itself is a masterpiece. The damn thing is like greased lightning compare to my curve. It doesn't bog down at all, and I've gone the last 3 days without once needing to do a soft reset or battery pull. Thats after I have gone and installed a bunch of apps as well. I love that it can handle a 16gb SD card, although I only have a 4g in there now. A friend had the Bold and say the 16g has a tendency to slow his down when he's playing around in the media app. (his 16g card is almost full with MP3's and pics) I guess I'll find out.

-Applications: I've installed the following. Facebook, AIM, Berry Buzz, Berry Weather, Beyond 160, Slacker, Pandora, Flickr, Crackberry App Store Client, BB App Store, and Berry Scanner. I've also got a very launchers installed for stuff I use constantly. Berry Buzz and Beyond 160 are a MUST in my opinion. They are great Apps. Even with all this installed my tour doesn't miss a beat.

-I love the new OS. It's very smooth. It's a BIG improvement over the 4.5 I was running on my curve. I love the new home screen with all the folders. The fact that they aren't just colored and also sport icons that help differentiate. The browser is 10x better as well. Its much easier to use, faster, and it gives you full webpage view just like at home on your laptop or PC. Now the txt is quite small when full screen, which might not bode well with some, but I have no complaints. An improvement is an improvement. I haven't tried Skyfire, Bolt, or Opera yet on the Tour, but I will soon. The BBM is also improved. It shows the beginnings of the new build set to be released with OS 5.0. OK THIS ONE DOES REALLLLLLLLLY ANNOY ME!!!! WTF!!! Where is my TODAY THEME!? I'm really hoping that plasmic (i.e. RIM) gets done with the developers tools quickly because I greatly miss seeing my upcoming calendar appointments on my screen. That's what keeps me organized and on time for stuff. Really what the **** is RIM thinking??? Ok, I'm done with that rant. Sorry if I flew of the handle there guys

-Battery life is another mild complaint I have. The Tour kills its battery pretty quick, although I think this is more a result of my incessant fidgeting with it because I spend more time collectively touching it, pressing it's buttons and rolling its trackball around than I ever have with my girlfriend. LOL I went ahead and ordered the SEDIO OEM size extended battery for it . I had great luck the same for my curve.

BIG PLUS for me is the World Phone aspect. Not because I travel out of the country much, but because I now have a phone within a phone! See us SPRINT people dont have to argue with coustomer support or half rate tech-ie jerks to unlock our phones. They come unlocked. Now I'm well aware that many of you VZW folk know how, or have the were with all to hack your device and unlock it yourselves, and to you I say, "Have fun." However I need not worry about such things as a mosey on into the ATT store and pick up a pre-paid Sim Card. I cram it into the back of my Tour and PRESTO! Instant Bat-phone. All I do is visit "manage connections" and switch to GSM and now I supper sneakey secret phone and phone number should the need arise. (and it does )

Well guys thats my review. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my Tour. May you all fall in love with your shiny new 9630 just as I did.

I also got the Bodygurdz kit and put it on. It's something I would greatly encourage others to do as well. I had one on my curve and the stuff is indestructible. My curve still looks like I just took it out of the box. No one wants their new pretty Tour to get all dinged up. Especially after waiting so patiently for it.
    Last edited by MontyCop05; 07-17-09 at 12:57 PM.
    07-17-09 12:54 PM
    Nice mini review.

I agree with most of your points. However, coming from the Bold, the difference is a lot less for me than coming from the curve even though I have used that as well.

The build is great. My complaint is the battery door doesn't have the same rubber finish as the Verizon version as that actually matches the rest of the body. Don't know what Sprint was thinking. The back is a fingerprint magnet. Easy solution though, I'll just get a Verizon battery door.

The battery is ok, good, not great. Don't know if the extra 200 mah one from Seidio will be noticeble, but I'll wait for others who get it to chime in.

I hate the new notification/alert system.

The keyboard is the best I've used. Better than the too mushy Bold and not as clicky as the Curve 83xx.

Don't like the location of the new charging port, gets in the way of holding it when charging at the same time, but it seems all new BBs are heading that direction.

Why there needs to be a new development for themes every time a new model comes out is beyond me when they're all pretty much the same.

I'd like for the ear piece and speaker to be louder although its pretty loud as is.

and the measly 256MB of onboard is a joke despite you can have up to 16GB of card. if the Bold can have 1GB, why can't the Tour? Not like flash is expensive.

As far as the unlocking goes, are you assuming or you have actually used the phone with another sim card? Many are reporting the non sprint sim card is invalid in the phone.
    Last edited by Outrigger; 07-17-09 at 03:30 PM.
    07-17-09 03:28 PM
    As for 256mb, be happy I would rather on my storm have the 256 for OS and Applications then to have a 1GB and have only 128 be used for the OS/Applications.
    07-17-09 03:33 PM
    As for 256mb, be happy I would rather on my storm have the 256 for OS and Applications then to have a 1GB and have only 128 be used for the OS/Applications.
    I totally agree with you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 03:45 PM
    I agree. This is the best cell phone I have ever owned. I am so happy VZW swapped my storm for this one. Very satisfied with the speed and easy of use.
    07-17-09 03:50 PM
    Very satisfied as well. Except that I can't get it will only play one notification sound. But I'm sure that will be ironed out soon enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 04:15 PM
    Does this come with a leather sleeve like the curve?
    07-17-09 04:38 PM
    Very happy with my Tour, battery door wiggle a little, and the vibrate seems to be kind of weak, but not a deal breaker at all for me!
    07-17-09 04:45 PM
    Does this come with a leather sleeve like the curve?

comes with a nice leather BB pda pouch with a swivel clip.
    07-17-09 04:46 PM
    Ok so I've had my tour now for over 3 full days. That gave me enough time to get it set-up the way I want for the most part, although I'm still tweaking things. My overall impression of this device is, well, WOW. It completely puts my Curve to shame.

-Build quality is excellent. Not such battery door issue with mine or my friends on Sprint. That appears to be a VZW issue. Apparently VZW got the first lots of all the 9630's (so they could be first to the finish line with the release) and in doing so got some of the early ones with bad back doors ) Sprint didn't have the massive stock ready that VZW did and thats why you guys are waiting for your backordered devices. (Trust me its worth the wait). The phone feels much more solid and hearty in the hand than my curve. Not to mention its just a sexy looking phone. The trackball is just as it always was, just more recessed in the phone. I have no issues with this. Some may. The new key pad is also a favorite feature of mine. Nice and responsive with good tactile feedback, sans the clicky "thumping' of the curve 83's keys. The one complaint I have with the the build is the fact that the charge/sync port is in the way when you trying to type when connected. Is not that big an issue, and I've already gotten used to it. Adapt and overcome! The Speaker is EXTREMLEY loud if you set it as such, and Slacker and Pandora, calls and ringers to boot, all sound great. I saw that some were upset with the device over vibration issues. I have no such complaint. My device vibrates just like my curve did. It dances on the table when it goes off, and I feel it in my back pocket while in a sleeve, or in the holster when on my belt. The screen is also great. Nice clear and crisp. Vibrant colors and contrast. Watching You Tube vids, TV shows and Music vids is a pleasure.

-The Radio is superb. Big difference from the 8330m I left behind. Which I'm sure some of you are are aware had some serious radio issues.

-Camera is excellent. Big improvement over the curve.

-Call clarity is also excellent. Earpiece can get as loud as you could want and very clear.

-The device itself is a masterpiece. The damn thing is like greased lightning compare to my curve. It doesn't bog down at all, and I've gone the last 3 days without once needing to do a soft reset or battery pull. Thats after I have gone and installed a bunch of apps as well. I love that it can handle a 16gb SD card, although I only have a 4g in there now. A friend had the Bold and say the 16g has a tendency to slow his down when he's playing around in the media app. (his 16g card is almost full with MP3's and pics) I guess I'll find out.

-Applications: I've installed the following. Facebook, AIM, Berry Buzz, Berry Weather, Beyond 160, Slacker, Pandora, Flickr, Crackberry App Store Client, BB App Store, and Berry Scanner. I've also got a very launchers installed for stuff I use constantly. Berry Buzz and Beyond 160 are a MUST in my opinion. They are great Apps. Even with all this installed my tour doesn't miss a beat.

-I love the new OS. It's very smooth. It's a BIG improvement over the 4.5 I was running on my curve. I love the new home screen with all the folders. The fact that they aren't just colored and also sport icons that help differentiate. The browser is 10x better as well. Its much easier to use, faster, and it gives you full webpage view just like at home on your laptop or PC. Now the txt is quite small when full screen, which might not bode well with some, but I have no complaints. An improvement is an improvement. I haven't tried Skyfire, Bolt, or Opera yet on the Tour, but I will soon. The BBM is also improved. It shows the beginnings of the new build set to be released with OS 5.0. OK THIS ONE DOES REALLLLLLLLLY ANNOY ME!!!! WTF!!! Where is my TODAY THEME!? I'm really hoping that plasmic (i.e. RIM) gets done with the developers tools quickly because I greatly miss seeing my upcoming calendar appointments on my screen. That's what keeps me organized and on time for stuff. Really what the **** is RIM thinking??? Ok, I'm done with that rant. Sorry if I flew of the handle there guys

-Battery life is another mild complaint I have. The Tour kills its battery pretty quick, although I think this is more a result of my incessant fidgeting with it because I spend more time collectively touching it, pressing it's buttons and rolling its trackball around than I ever have with my girlfriend. LOL I went ahead and ordered the SEDIO OEM size extended battery for it . I had great luck the same for my curve.

BIG PLUS for me is the World Phone aspect. Not because I travel out of the country much, but because I now have a phone within a phone! See us SPRINT people dont have to argue with coustomer support or half rate tech-ie jerks to unlock our phones. They come unlocked. Now I'm well aware that many of you VZW folk know how, or have the were with all to hack your device and unlock it yourselves, and to you I say, "Have fun." However I need not worry about such things as a mosey on into the ATT store and pick up a pre-paid Sim Card. I cram it into the back of my Tour and PRESTO! Instant Bat-phone. All I do is visit "manage connections" and switch to GSM and now I supper sneakey secret phone and phone number should the need arise. (and it does )

Well guys thats my review. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my Tour. May you all fall in love with your shiny new 9630 just as I did.

I also got the Bodygurdz kit and put it on. It's something I would greatly encourage others to do as well. I had one on my curve and the stuff is indestructible. My curve still looks like I just took it out of the box. No one wants their new pretty Tour to get all dinged up. Especially after waiting so patiently for it.
    comes with a nice leather BB pda pouch with a swivel clip.
    I hope the swivel clip is removable?...that's what I liked about the curve sleeve...it allowed you to easily slide it in and out of your pocket
    07-17-09 04:54 PM
    Nope, not removable.
    07-17-09 06:09 PM
    I bought 2 Tours three days ago. One is for a 70 year old who was upgrading from an 8800. For him, the Tour theme is impossible as all the icons look alike. I imagine the designer of the two themes that come with this phone never had an older person look at it to see if it were usable. This could easily have been rectified by including the Dimension theme/icons with the Tour for those who have less vision than some eager 25 year old.

My problem with the Tour (and I am a quarter century younger!) is the trackball. I am upgrading from a Curve 8310 which has a guard around the trackball which helps those of us with bigger fingers. I find I have to concentrate much more to hit just the trackball without also pressing the blackberry or back keys.

The positive about this phone is just how much faster it is. Everything moves with a much greater zip. I have a large medical database on my Tour and it really opens/searches quickly. Also, the internet browser is so much faster and it opens the actual web site rather than a mini-me version of it which the old browser on my 8310 did.

I hope the Tour themes can start coming out soon so that I can get a more visually accessible theme onto the two Tours I look after.
    07-17-09 06:53 PM
    Oh also, the holder for the microSD chip is a much better design on the Tour than it was on my ol;d Curve (where the expansion card holder kept breaking).
    07-17-09 06:54 PM
    Nice review. I made the switch today from a Storm. So far I a pretty happy.
    07-17-09 07:20 PM
    IS NO ONE FINDING THE WAY THE KEYBOARD IS LAYED OUT TO BE A BIT FISHY?!!
    ..The keyboard is spaced out; like between the screen and the first row of keys there's this tiny space.. small enough for light to get through and dust to get in.. is this normal for the other Tours??????? Please answer someone.. thanks!
    07-17-09 10:09 PM
    Thanks for your write up. I am happy that you are enjoying your phone. I am enjoying mine as well.
    07-17-09 10:40 PM
    I too am confused about why they went to a monochrome default theme. I'm using a Curve 8330 and am trying to warm up to getting a Tour but right off the bat I'm very confused about the change from colored icons that make it much easier to glance and know what's what, to monochrome that all look alike at first glance. What's up with that?

More to the point, how readily can I get a reliable theme with colored icons that's still crisp and businesslike? And where?

Also, given the repeated comments about Verizon having the first production run with battery door and vibration issues, how would you suggest I go about getting one from the "fixed" runs without just waiting six months to get it?

Thanks.
    07-20-09 05:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD