I recently bought myself another battery and a charger which I got to say that with my usage habits is pretty slick. What is interesting is that my standalone charger takes about 3 to 4 hours to charge up my battery while my phone charges batteries in about an hour.

Obviously the tour is utilizing the rapid charging technology. Does anyone know how this effects the long term battery longevity and daily battery life? I think I might be seeing better battery life with the 4 hour charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 08:47 AM
    It's also my understanding you'll get better battery longevity if you charge it in the phone with the phone off.
    04-18-10 08:54 AM
    I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, but I have noticed that when I charge my BB Tour with my EOM charging pod/cradle (purchased from Amazon before I discovered CrackBerry), it charges extremely quickly. Seems like it charges faster than when I used to connect the micro-USB cable to charge my phone. It's such a great benefit that I don't even care if it shortens the battery life (which it probably does not). That charging pod/cradle is awesome. Anyway, I apologize for going off-topic, since I know you are referring to a battery charger and not the charging pod/cradle.
    04-18-10 09:42 AM
    The rapid charge idea can overheat batteries which can shorten the life. In general, the longer the charge time the more you will preserve the overall life of the battery. BlackBerry's do not use the rapid charge but some non-OEM chargers will have this.

04-18-10 10:16 AM
    Is it true that the battery life is longer if charged while the phone is OFF? Or is that just an artifact of less battery use (eg. 8 hours/day or however long you sleep if charged at night)?
    04-18-10 08:28 PM
    Is it true that the battery life is longer if charged while the phone is OFF? Or is that just an artifact of less battery use (eg. 8 hours/day or however long you sleep if charged at night)?
    In theory, and technically yes. It's because the device is not being utilized, the phone does not get hot due to the electrical draw going to the battery and powering the phone at the same time. As another member previously stated, it's all relative to heat. REALISTICALLY you won't notice a very big difference, and there's really no point because it's cheap enough to purchase a new battery if you ever needed one, not to mention most carriers provide some sort of subsidy for purchasing a new device after two years.
    04-18-10 10:26 PM
    Last night, my phone charged to 100% and I decided to turn it OFF for the night after charging (and unplugged at that point). This morning, I turned it on, and it was down to 85%. What explains battery drain over night when OFF?
    04-19-10 06:00 AM
    Depending on how you shut it down, there will always be activity in the background, like alarm clock and such. If it were Full Power off, there would be very little power loss.

04-19-10 08:11 AM
    Are there any other shut down options than using the Off icon? (I mean I don't want to take the battery out!) I don't recall that kind of battery drain in prior Blackberry's. I have the Tour with OS 5.0 (build 484). It hasn't drained excessively during the day yet. If it were to drain more, how can you tell if something is "still on" and needs to be closed?
    04-19-10 09:37 AM
    I just checked and realized, I don't have the FULL Power Off option in the icon anymore. Well for what it's worth you could hit the Connections icon and turn connections off.?? To find what's running in the background, hold the menu key down and there should be THE FIVE that always run in the background. You can't shut those out, but things like your clock will be always on too. Make sure you close out all your apps using the menu. Other than that, I don't know.

04-19-10 09:56 AM
    Last night, my phone charged to 100% and I decided to turn it OFF for the night after charging (and unplugged at that point). This morning, I turned it on, and it was down to 85%. What explains battery drain over night when OFF?
    Even though your BB is "off", it is still connected and running. When you turn it on you will begin receiving any messages you got while it was off. The only way you can truly turn a BB off is to remove the battery (which I don't advise). I hope this helps.
    04-19-10 11:05 AM
    I always have mine shut off at night my battery life is ok I also charge it turned off better for the battery and once the light is green I remove it from the charger
    04-20-10 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD