I was wondering if the onyx is supposedly part of the 96xx series, then why does it look so different from the tour. Also, a pic on engadget of the onyx shows it being the NIAGARA and it being a 3g, cdma device. What's up with that?
    05-11-09 07:57 AM
    the pic has been taken down. if you read the comments, chris ziegler says he posted the wrong pic.
    05-11-09 08:06 AM
    Onyx looks way sexier than the tour. They'll probably come out around the same time too.
    05-11-09 09:08 AM
    Yeah I think that was a wrong post.. It say's it's probably going to be 96xx but for tmobile with 3G.. There's an article on the homepage
    05-11-09 09:12 AM
    Onyx looks way sexier than the tour. They'll probably come out around the same time too.

in your opinion

Because personally I think the tour looks better However im the last person to complain about looks...

I want functionality
    05-11-09 09:29 AM
    Tour < Onyx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 11:50 AM
    Tour < Onyx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is based on you vast knowledge and experience with both devices I take it.
    05-11-09 12:00 PM
    Both look great i wonder if the onyx will have the guts of the bold that would be great
    05-11-09 12:03 PM
    This is based on you vast knowledge and experience with both devices I take it.

no its based on the fact that its a newer device. ahah
    05-11-09 12:48 PM
    Ahhhhhhhh Touch�
    05-11-09 01:04 PM
    By that rationale you meant,

Tour>Onyx

since the Tour will be out later than the Onyx thus making it newer ergo better.
    05-11-09 01:05 PM
    By that rationale you meant,

Tour>Onyx

since the Tour will be out later than the Onyx thus making it newer ergo better.

you sure about that?

whats the definite release date defined by the carrier... and announced to the world...
    05-11-09 01:13 PM
    So by your logic, the Storm being newer than the Bold, is a better device?
    05-11-09 01:21 PM
    they both look the same!!! aprt from oe has black border bezel bit and one silver!
    05-12-09 07:59 AM
    The back of the Onyx looked like the Gemini. The Niagara back had the power contacts in the bottom of the back where the Onyx seems to have them on the sides (at the bottom). It almost looks like the cover will pop open like the Gemini.

It also makes me wonder if the front of he Onyx looks so much like the Niagara, maybe the Niagara is going through some final release changes. I would think that all 96xx Tours would have the same look and style. The 8330 looks like the 8320....

Since all we are seeing so far are evaluation units, there may be changes made (to Niagara and Onyx) on the release versions.
    05-12-09 08:29 AM
    I thought the Onyx was a GSM device slated for TMO
    05-12-09 08:36 AM
    yeah Onyx and Niagara are the same line of device, (look different) with all same feature except the Verizon Niagara has no wifi.
    05-12-09 11:16 AM
    but if onyx is gsm and for t-mobile, wouldn't we NOT have this issue with wifi given that its a GSM carrier
    05-12-09 12:06 PM
    The 8330 and the 8320 were actually styled differently. The LED light on the 8330 was under the screen while the LED on the 8320 was outside and above the screen.

The back of the Onyx looked like the Gemini. The Niagara back had the power contacts in the bottom of the back where the Onyx seems to have them on the sides (at the bottom). It almost looks like the cover will pop open like the Gemini.

It also makes me wonder if the front of he Onyx looks so much like the Niagara, maybe the Niagara is going through some final release changes. I would think that all 96xx Tours would have the same look and style. The 8330 looks like the 8320....

Since all we are seeing so far are evaluation units, there may be changes made (to Niagara and Onyx) on the release versions.
    05-12-09 12:35 PM
    talk about a lot of leaked/pre release glimpses of new devices..

definitely going to be frustrating if the only difference between Tour and "Onyx" will be wifi -- I could live without the trackpad, simply because it's the first time on a device so who knows how succesful it will be round 1 (lol Surepress).
    05-12-09 03:14 PM
    So by your logic, the Storm being newer than the Bold, is a better device?

thats not my logic my logic was based on people wanting it more

and YES when the storm was getting leaked information NOONE talked about the bold it was ALL storm so yes my comment still stands

I still want the tour even though the onyx has now leaked more information where as the people who just cant hack when a newer thing comes will instantly jump on that newer item just because there is so little about it and they want more more more..

and you made my point pretty accurately sometimes newer isn't always better and the latest greatest isn't always the best..
    05-12-09 03:51 PM
    when are the release dates for the niagra and onyx
    05-16-09 04:00 PM
    I'm throwing in with the 9630 being released under the name "Onyx", not Tour.
    05-18-09 01:59 PM
    I'm throwing in with the 9630 being released under the name "Onyx", not Tour.

haha im pretty confident it will be the tour... as it is showing up in inventory screens as the "tour"
    05-18-09 05:47 PM
    haha im pretty confident it will be the tour... as it is showing up in inventory screens as the "tour"

I agree. Tour will be CDMA and looks like Onyx will be the sister phone in GSM
    05-18-09 05:50 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD