When the Tour was first announced, I really got the feeling that it would be a Verizon Wireless exclusive for a little while at least. Y'know kind of like the Curve 8900 was exclusive to T-Mobile for a couple months before they produced an AT&T version, and the Bold is still virtually an exclusive to AT&T (the "virtual exclusive" being that it is only sold by AT&T but however can be unlocked to use with another carrier,) and of course the Storm still being a Verizon exclusive (but it can also be unlocked, apparently).

Anyway, it would have been nice to bask in some period of Verizon exclusivity for the Tour, especially with all the excitement that surrounded its release as well as the speculation as to which carrier in the US (Verizon or Sprint) would get it first. But, it looks like they both won this one.

I look forward to any replies y'all might have about this subject.

Sprint users - I especially look forward to your replies - C
    06-16-09 07:01 PM
    yeah its a very good thing the tour is released to other carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 07:11 PM
    its good blackberry gets to sell more devices thus they make more money thus they spend more on development of new devices..
    06-16-09 07:12 PM
    QUOTE DELETED

so pot...meet kettle.
    06-16-09 07:14 PM
    Who cares?
    06-16-09 07:14 PM
    Completely agree. I've been sitting on my hands for months waiting for a non-piece of crap BB for Verizon users. I was hoping this one would at least be exclusive to us for for a little while too.
    06-16-09 07:25 PM
    I am so happy that a new blackberry will finally be coming to Sprint. I have been waiting patiently for a while for definite news. As good as the 8330 is I can now wait a little longer and get the tour.

In my opinion the exclusivity clauses hurt consumers. Its just a way to try to tempt people to buy themselves out of contracts or pay for two contracts so they can get their hands on the latest devices. It would be much better if most phones were available on all networks, even if they were locked to that network for a year.
    Last edited by davva360; 06-16-09 at 07:34 PM.
    06-16-09 07:30 PM
    Completely agree. I've been sitting on my hands for months waiting for a non-piece of crap BB for Verizon users. I was hoping this one would at least be exclusive to us for for a little while too.
    Sounds like some people on verizon are kinda like babies, whining about not having any exclusive phone. RIM wants to make the most $ possible, and it was ultimately verizon who probably didn't want to pay RIM to keep it exclusive.

so pot...meet kettle.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA... owned
    Why on God's green Earth would anyone hope for an exclusive BB to their carrier?

I understand the concept of carriers getting exclusive rights to devices, but why would a consumer care, (after the phone has been announced) what carriers will get it? Maybe you are unhappy with the amount of money you pay Verizon, but for some reason you remain loyal. You only want Verizon to have the Tour so other people can be jealous?

The way I see it, RIM did it right by not granting exclusivity to anyone no matter how much they wanted it. The device will be mainstream and more popular with multiple carriers, which will result in much better support and future apps. Not to mention accessories.
    06-16-09 07:32 PM
    The big Q- will smaller carriers pick it up, ie US Cellular? Pros and cons. While I prefer a short exclusivity as I'm sure RIM is pais handsomely for those, I think offering the same phones on multiple carriers is the best for the public. That way you're choosing your carrier by its service, not by its phone. In theory that will make carriers more competitive and require better service and lower prices. Yay free market society!

06-16-09 07:38 PM
    I wish all carriers had the same devices.
    06-16-09 07:40 PM
    Sounds like some people on verizon are kinda like babies, whining about not having any exclusive phone. RIM wants to make the most $ possible, and it was ultimately verizon who probably didn't want to pay RIM to keep it exclusive.

I wouldn't say we're babies, I'd just say that we think it's cool to have a phone exlusive to us like other carriers have. We've waited a long time for a non touch screen BB, and it'd be nice if we kind of had something no one else had. Clearly it's not the most sophisticated way of thinking about it, but common sense isn't big on people who spend $200+ on phones that they for the most part don't need.
    06-16-09 07:48 PM
    I wouldn't say we're babies, I'd just say that we think it's cool to have a phone exlusive to us like other carriers have. We've waited a long time for a non touch screen BB, and it'd be nice if we kind of had something no one else had. Clearly it's not the most sophisticated way of thinking about it, but common sense isn't big on people who spend $200+ on phones that they for the most part don't need.
    I assumed blackberry users were more intelligent people, well most, unlike iphone users who literally don't need any of the bs the iphone can or cannot do. But if were in hs again and having a phone that no one else has makes a difference in your life, you have far more issues. Goodday.

06-16-09 07:55 PM
    Ummmm VZW does have the Storm exclusive. Sorry can't have every blackberry exclusive. Especially if RIM wants to make the most money. But hey VZW has a bunch of LG and samsung phones exclusive. I don't see the "coolness" in having a phone exclusive to your carrier. I tend to want all carriers to have the same devices. When my boy was having problems with his Storm, I wish he could simply get a Bold. I wasn't laughing at him like "ha ha VZW has the crappy blackberries". I wanted him to have access to the same device. Same thing with my iPhone. I wish every carrier had it too. I want my friends to be able to have it. Some of them want it but can't afford the switch just yet. Guess I'm just not selfish like that.
    06-16-09 07:55 PM
    Phone exclusivity is dumb. More carriers = more users. More users = more software development.

It's a good situation for all parties involved.
    06-16-09 07:57 PM
    I assumed blackberry users were more intelligent people, well most, unlike iphone users who literally don't need any of the bs the iphone can or cannot do. But if were in hs again and having a phone that no one else has makes a difference in your life, you have far more issues. Goodday.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of blackberry users are just as bad or worse than iPhone fanboys when it comes to their devices. Some are very selfish. So I am not sure where the notion came from that blackberry users are more mature or whatever than other smartphone users (at least that's what people will try to get you to think), but some are just as childish, selfish, rude and hateful as anyone else.
    06-16-09 07:59 PM
    Phone exclusivity is dumb. More carriers = more users. More users = more software development.

Agreed. And better pricing between carrier rates and devices. If a carrier knows you are going to most likely stay with them for a device..... they can price it the way they want and have a lot of restrictions on purchasing them. The iPhone is an example of that.
    06-16-09 08:02 PM
    When the Tour was first announced, I really got the feeling that it would be a Verizon Wireless exclusive for a little while at least. Y'know kind of like the Curve 8900 was exclusive to T-Mobile for a couple months before they produced an AT&T version, and the Bold is still virtually an exclusive to AT&T (the "virtual exclusive" being that it is only sold by AT&T but however can be unlocked to use with another carrier,) and of course the Storm still being a Verizon exclusive (but it can also be unlocked, apparently).

Anyway, it would have been nice to bask in some period of Verizon exclusivity for the Tour, especially with all the excitement that surrounded its release as well as the speculation as to which carrier in the US (Verizon or Sprint) would get it first. But, it looks like they both won this one.

My response is simply...."who cares."

All I care about is that the phone has the features as expected, and that it works. Whether or not a carrier has it exclusively doesn't even matter to me. I'll be just as happy you having it on Sprint, or you having it on Verizon, or having it on any other carrier....as long as I can have it too!
    06-16-09 08:13 PM
    True. Definitely not as intelligent of a thread as the storm 2 slogan thread, the bb tour waiting room, or the what would you do for a bb tour thread.
    06-16-09 08:22 PM

You guys still have the exclusive on the Storm....get over it....
    06-16-09 08:29 PM
    True. Definitely not as intelligent of a thread as the storm 2 slogan thread, the bb tour waiting room, or the what would you do for a bb tour thread.
    LOL. The Storm 2 slogan thread is hilarious! Haven't been to the others.
    06-16-09 08:30 PM

+1 ! .....
    06-16-09 08:30 PM
    Really? Really? I mean..... Really? U hoped that you had a phone that no one outside of Verizon could get? So you could do what? Sit at home and touch, rub and clean your "precious" More carriers the better. It creates, O, I don't know, competition and therefore means better prices for us customers. Get a life Gollum...
    06-16-09 08:34 PM
    Carrier exclusive devices is probably the stupidest thing anyone has come up with. It only hurts consumers to have exclusive devices. What do you care if some other carrier also has your phone?
    06-16-09 08:41 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD