I took my car in for a wash this past Saturday. I put all my valuables in the trunk and tucked them in a case; includes a Dell laptop, a 32gb iPod touch, and my cell phone charger. So the car goes though the wash and then I drive it home. Later that day I pop the trunk planning on grabbing the iPod for a jog, and lo and behold, everything is there but the iPod.

Being a college student, money is tight these days. I know the Tour hasn't been released yet, and we've had a couple of reviews on the device, but has anyone heard a detailed review on its MP3 playback capabilities? Buying another iPod AND a Tour this summer is just not possible. Coming from an iPod interface, will a BB Tour satisfy my MP3 needs? Playlists? Search by artist, genre, song, etc? Seek bar? Loud enough volume for headphones? 3.5mm or 2.5mm jack? Easy pausing? Efficient battery life?

I really appreciate this guys. Getting a $400 iPod stolen has pretty much ruined my summer. I worked everyday winter break to buy that thing. I'm hoping the tour can fill the gap.
    06-01-09 11:00 AM
    The Tour has everything other BBs do. Play-list, search, seek (though that may leave a little to be desired) and much louder volume than the iPod/iPhone IMO. Pausing is great as well. Your battery life will be a bit more than being on a call continuously but wont be as good as the iPod. Several hours continuous though (4-6) would be easy enough.
    06-01-09 11:04 AM
    Wow man that really sucks! I am a college student myself so I can understand how money is tight. Did you go back to the car wash and question them? I hope you at least called the police.

Anyway, I have an iPod too (nano), and once the Tour comes out the first accessory I will buy is a 16 GB card with it. The great thing about the BlackBerry is that it can sync with your iTunes library. You obviously won't get the same interface and the music won't really be at your fingertips (literally), but it gets the job done. I won't completely ditch my iPod, but it will be hard carrying around both devices when I know only one can get both jobs done.

Hope this helps.
    06-01-09 11:05 AM
    Go back and put a hidden vid cam in your car and something that is obvious that would be stolen and see if you can get it stolen, most likely the same employee would steal and therefore you could probably find that they stole your IPOD as well.
    06-01-09 11:08 AM
    Thats rough. Since being at college my car has been broken into twice and both times my radar detector and stereo have been stolen. Then I wised up and bought an alarm system for my car. It is definitely a sh*tty feeling getting stuff stolen like that. Hopefully it all works out for you
    06-01-09 11:10 AM
    don't you have GPS on your laptop ?
    or your ipod well if its a touch you can track it down
    06-01-09 11:17 AM
    Thank you guys. Yeah, it's a horrible feeling. So I guess I need to go MP3-less until mid July?

I talked to the owner of the car wash today. He apologized for what happened but he did point out signs posted regarding leaving valuables in cars. Silly me for thinking that moving things to my trunk was secure enough. I have always been cautious with my belongings and always kept them safe, but who would've thought that your own car wouldn't be safe.

I talked to one of the employees on the way out and he mentioned that a few other employees are ex-convicts.
    06-01-09 11:33 AM
    Sorry to hear that this happened. I have had stuff stolen from my car at a mechanic and had my car broken into in front of my home, so I know how it feels. I hope you went back and spoke with the manager about your ipod getting stolen. I also hope that you called the cops. I think that anything over $400 is considered grand theft, in most states, and would be taken seriously by the cops. If they don't take it seriously, press the issue and get them to take it seriously. I would be willing to bet that this is not the first time this has happened at that car wash either.

As for the media capabilities of the Tour, they should be pretty similar to the Bold or the 8900. There are little tweaks and adjustments to the media applications for ever new OS that comes out, so some of the people running OS 5.0 might be able to give you the full details.

The BlackBerry will be a little different from the iPod and I'm not just talking about the UI. It will, however, offer almost all of the same standard features that come on just about every mp3 player out there. You will be able to search by song, artist, album or genres. You can set up playlists. You can shuffle the songs or repeat the songs. You can play, pause, stop, skip, fast forward and rewind. Pretty much the standard. The only thing that I have found bothersome is that the fast forward and rewind move in segments instead of actually just fast forwarding. As I said though, some of that may have changed a little in OS 5.0.

There are also other media apps besides the native app. Programs like FlipSide, Mobiola, MiuTunes, etc will allow you to play the mp3/wma music that is stored on your media card and will all have different features. Then you also have apps like Slacker or Pandora will allow you to stream personalized/custom radio stations. Then you also have apps like FlyCast and IHeartRadio that will let you listen to streaming radio from all over the US. You can check out most of them @ BlackBerry Music Software.
    06-01-09 11:35 AM
    Thank you guys. Yeah, it's a horrible feeling. So I guess I need to go MP3-less until mid July?

I talked to the owner of the car wash today. He apologized for what happened but he did point out signs posted regarding leaving valuables in cars. Silly me for thinking that moving things to my trunk was secure enough. I have always been cautious with my belongings and always kept them safe, but who would've thought that your own car wouldn't be safe.

I talked to one of the employees on the way out and he mentioned that a few other employees are ex-convicts.
    Did you get the police involved? The signs are there to detour you from filing a lawsuit. It doesn't mean you can't get the police involved. It also doesn't mean you can't file suit.
    06-01-09 11:38 AM
    Did you get the police involved? The signs are there to detour you from filing a lawsuit. It doesn't mean you can't get the police involved. It also doesn't mean you can't file suit.
    yea its also pretty much to late depending where you take your car. Rule #1 if you ever take your car somewhere for service, always, always check to make sure your valuables that you might have in there at the time are still there. If you would of found out your ipod was missing before leaving, you could of probably made the manager search the employees who worked on your car or got the cops there to do so.
    06-01-09 12:04 PM
    Sorry to hear that. If the Tours media player is anything like the Storms then you will be quite happy. I plug in my BB into the aux connection to my vehicles stereo and it sounds freaking awesome. My wife, who uses her iPod for the same purpose, has even said that it sounds quite nice. Now that iTunes is DRM free, I have all of my music on my Storm!
    06-01-09 12:11 PM

with respect to signs about valuables in cars, people generally can disclaim liability for negligent damage but can't disclaim it for theft. the whole "we told you we might rob you" doesn't really hold up. not to mention if they do hire ex-cons you could argue negligent hiring, especially if they were convicted of theft. might want to have that conversation with the owner again. and it is his responsibility to compensate you, at least partially for the loss. who else is going to stop his employees from stealing from customers?

also, thought i'd add that in reality you're not going to sue him for the value of the ipod, so if you do go talk to him don't be rude about it, but you could let him know that you'd rather not have to file a police report which you definitely will do if you can't resolve the situation.

you'll at least end up getting a bunch of free car washes I'd imagine.
    Last edited by md12; 06-01-09 at 12:40 PM.
    06-01-09 12:34 PM
    yea its also pretty much to late depending where you take your car. Rule #1 if you ever take your car somewhere for service, always, always check to make sure your valuables that you might have in there at the time are still there. If you would of found out your ipod was missing before leaving, you could of probably made the manager search the employees who worked on your car or got the cops there to do so.
    Even if it happened a few days ago, filing a police report doesn't hurt. I filed a report when they stole the GPS unit and XM radio out of my car. I then reported the loss of the radio to XM. Even though my stuff was long gone, the little thieves were caught because they tried to activate the radio. XM banned the radio ID from ever being activated again and notified the local PD when there was an attempt made. The GPS units turned up in a pawn shop a few weeks later. I never got my stuff back, but I did get compensation through the courts for my stolen stuff.
    06-01-09 12:42 PM
    Sorry to hear that. There is no doubt that noone makes a mp3 player like apple. The blackberry works decent for it but if you really liked your ipod you will still miss it. However the tour is a whole ton more then just that and can easily tide you over until you get another

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 12:51 PM
    does your car insurance not cover that?
    06-01-09 12:57 PM
    I just stripped the car apart. Removed the carpeting in the trunk, the spare cover, spare tire, the jack, etc. and guess what I found UNDERNEATH the spare tire!

I guess it somehow slid out of the case, through a crack, slid past the jack, and settled UNDER the spare tire . The odds are maybe 1/100. It's a little scratched up and greasy, but I'm so ecstatic!

I feel sorry for accusing the car wash. (Even if they wanted to steal it, they would have had to take out half the car to reach it .)

As for the Tour, I still look forward to picking one up. Though, no longer as a primary MP3 player .
    06-01-09 03:07 PM
    I just stripped the car apart. Removed the carpeting in the trunk, the spare cover, spare tire, the jack, etc. and guess what I found UNDERNEATH the spare tire!

I guess it somehow slid out of the case, through a crack, slid past the jack, and settled UNDER the spare tire . The odds are maybe 1/100. It's a little scratched up and greasy, but I'm so ecstatic!

I feel sorry for accusing the car wash. (Even if they wanted to steal it, they would have had to take out half the car to reach it .)

As for the Tour, I still look forward to picking one up. Though, no longer as a primary MP3 player .

hahah

I had to laugh at this.. The truth is its common for the first thing to blame being theft...

I am happy you found it
    06-01-09 03:17 PM
    LMAO

Glad you found it. No put a leash on that thing!
    06-01-09 03:22 PM
    Good to hear you found it. My wife lost her pearl, my homeowner's insurance covered it and gave us $300 towards the purchase of a new one (although she opted to get an instinct...). You may want to see if you can get a renter's or homeowner's insurance to cover stuff like this in the future.

As far as the blackberry media player (I have an 8830). It supports all of the standard MP3/video player features. Seeking goes in 5% chunks or 5 second chunks (while holding the ALT key, very useful to know for long files). The tour will have a 3.5mm headset jack. Battery life with my 8830 is good, I can listen for about 10 hours straight using the external speaker. The mute key can be used for play/pause and the volume up/down toggle can be used for volume and for next/prev functionality. One thing the BB media player lacks is gapless playback. I have never owned an iPod. I have briefly used them and my wife has one, but I can't do a direct comparison.
    06-01-09 05:42 PM
    I feel bad jumping to the conclusion of theft, but it was the only thing that made sense at the time (iPod in trunk before wash, iPod magically not in trunk after car wash ).

As for a leash, I'm not too far from that lol. It's been in my pocket/hands since its lovely reappearance . You really don't know what you have until it's gone .

I'm glad to hear the Tour has a 3.5mm jack. Also having a physical pause button might be a pleasant change. The iPod touch requires you to press a button to activate the screen, then locate and press the pause "button." Impossible to do without taking it from your pocket. So does the Tour's mute button act as a pause button, or a mute button? Meaning, if I hit the button during MP3 play, to talk to a friend walking by, will the song resume from the same place when I press the mute button again? Or was the song still playing the whole time (but muted)?

The insurance option really is a good idea. I don't own a home but I'm sure I can find device insurance somewhere. I know my enV is covered but with a $50 deductible .
    06-01-09 06:15 PM
    i swear when i first saw the subject of this thread my heart dropped, preparing myself to read bad news about the tour release.

i was SO glad (and then felt very bad for it) that it was just about you losing your ipod, and then truly glad when i saw that you had found it.

whew. EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER. lol
    06-01-09 06:53 PM
    i swear when i first saw the subject of this thread my heart dropped, preparing myself to read bad news about the tour release.

i was SO glad (and then felt very bad for it) that it was just about you losing your ipod, and then truly glad when i saw that you had found it.

whew. EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER. lol

Haha, that's what I thought too! I was thinking that the release would be pushed back again. But, I'm glad you found your ipod!
    06-01-09 07:05 PM
    Did you let the car wash owner know that you found the iPod, so he does not have to remain paranoid that his employees are stealing from the customers?
    06-01-09 07:13 PM
    Congratulations you found it. Make sure you let the car wash owner know it wasn't stolen.

I remember I lost my wallet and I was mad. I looked all over my house I was sure it must have dropped in my complex. I got angry and kicked my laundry basket and there it was between the basket and the wall .
    06-01-09 07:27 PM
    I informed the car wash owner. He was pleased to hear it. I didn't want him to fire anyone falsely at my expense .

Losing the iPod was more of a depressing thing than an anger invoking thing. I'm glad I didn't get to that phase before finding it .

I apologize for not specifying the "bad news" was relating to my dilemma rather than bad news about the Tour's release. I noticed that my thread title was changed too. Took me a few minutes to find it!
    06-01-09 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD