For Sprint users, doesn't the Sprint software that is available on their website work good enough? I've used it with the 8330 and it's fine. I guess I'm not sure why someone would pay $30-50 for a program when that's available and free. If I'm missing something I'd like to hear what the difference is.
    07-24-09 07:58 AM
    Please excuse my ignorance but can't you just purchase TetherBerry for $24.97 today and not have to pay Verizon or Srint for any additional services or do you still have to pay the $15 monthy fee? I was under the impression that once you have something like TetherBerry, that's all you need. Again, excuse my ignorance but i'm new to BB's. My Tour is my first.

TetherBerry - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    07-24-09 08:16 AM
    Please excuse my ignorance but can't you just purchase TetherBerry for $24.97 today and not have to pay Verizon or Srint for any additional services or do you still have to pay the $15 monthy fee? I was under the impression that once you have something like TetherBerry, that's all you need. Again, excuse my ignorance but i'm new to BB's. My Tour is my first.

TetherBerry - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    TetherBerry works through your BlackBerry's data so no, you do not have to pay the $30 a month fee or whatever it is. But if you go over the 5GB cap that people have mentioned, your carrier won't be happy and **** will hit the fan. So if you use it for basic internet browsing, email, IM, etc, it should be fine. But if you want to cancel your home internet and use this to do everything including stream videos, download music, movies, etc, then use at your own risk.
    07-24-09 08:33 AM
    Ahh....i see. Thanks
    07-24-09 09:29 AM
    That is just flat wrong. Load up tetherberry and burn through about 10GB's and see what happens. At the minimum they are going to cut your data off, at the maximum you are going to end up with a massive, and I mean massive, bill. If you go over 5GB's you will pay dearly.
    Forgive my ignorance, but I have Verizon's unlimited access. Are you telling me it's not really unlimited? How can they say it is something that it isn't?

If there is a 10GB (or 5GB?) limit, then why don't they advertise it as such? False advertising such as this really should be illegal.

There is no way I would hit either of these limits just using the phone, but that isn't the point. I would be furious with Verizon if they sent me a huge bill (or even anything above my regular charges) for data charges, and I would certainly refuse to pay it.
    07-24-09 09:42 AM
    That is just flat wrong. Load up tetherberry and burn through about 10GB's and see what happens. At the minimum they are going to cut your data off, at the maximum you are going to end up with a massive, and I mean massive, bill. If you go over 5GB's you will pay dearly.
    I use it, go over 5gb's every month, have yet to be charged any extra for it....
    07-24-09 09:50 AM
    It's advertised, and it's 5GB. If you hit that cap, quite downloading movies. Use the phone for what it is, and there's no way you'll go over it. The cap is there so that the service isn't abused.

Oh, and for the tetherberry fans, just do a search ... plenty of "horror" stories of thousand (and more) dollar bills for going over / using tetherberry to begin with.
    07-24-09 09:55 AM
    You just made their point...they say unlimited because 5gb of data usage on a phone is kinda ridiculous. Believe me, I am on your side. I hate false advertising. However, I am also a heavy data user and have never even come close to 1gb nonetheless 5.
    Such bad info on here sometimes - Look at your plan details.

The actual data on the blackberry is fully and completely unlimited, period, end of story.

If you sign up for verizon tethering you are agreeing to use under 5GB of data in a month.
    07-24-09 09:55 AM
    Such bad info on here sometimes - Look at your plan details.

The actual data on the blackberry is fully and completely unlimited, period, end of story.

If you sign up for verizon tethering you are agreeing to use under 5GB of data in a month.
    And there's pretty much no way you're going over 5GB on a phone (without tether) anyways, that's why it's unlimited. The day someone uses that much, they'll apply the limit.

PDA/SmartPhone - Unlimited Data Package
    Last edited by pi_admin; 07-24-09 at 10:03 AM.
    07-24-09 10:01 AM
    Why is the tethering 30.00? It was only 15.00 with my 8703. I also asked, and they said it was only 15.00
    It's an additional $14.99 if you are on the BES $44.99 plan and an additional $29.99 if you are on the $29.99 BIS plan. In case your math is bad they both equal $60
    07-24-09 10:36 AM
    TetherBerry works through your BlackBerry's data so no, you do not have to pay the $30 a month fee or whatever it is. But if you go over the 5GB cap that people have mentioned, your carrier won't be happy and **** will hit the fan. So if you use it for basic internet browsing, email, IM, etc, it should be fine. But if you want to cancel your home internet and use this to do everything including stream videos, download music, movies, etc, then use at your own risk.
    So if I only wanted to use Tetherberry occasionally then I could do so without having to pay Verizon the extra monthly tethering fee? (I think it's called Mobile Broadband.) I am on the BIS $30 plan only.
    07-24-09 01:29 PM
    The amazing thing is that my upload speed is a heck of a lot better than my mediocre Time Warner RR service.
    07-27-09 11:28 PM
    Anyone care to share instructions on setting up tethering with a 9630 and Vista DUN? I tried doing it once with my 8330 and when I launched my web browser, a Verizon page loaded claiming that I needed to contract them to sign up for their tethering option.

Now, I know Tetherberry is available, as is just paying the outrageous monthly fee to Verizon which I would never do because this would be only 'in emergency' use, however, many people have claimed to get tethering to work with just straight up Vista DUN.

Any help would be appreciated.

ALB
    07-28-09 12:57 AM
    Anyone got a document that details how I can set up tethering and use my BB Bold for tethering to my pc? I'm a computer cripple but have a bold and a pc........ Laptop i guess it's called. Help?
    08-06-09 08:32 PM
    This is the directions I followed in order to get my Sprint Tour tethered to my Mac:

Zsoldier's Tech Blog: Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.x Sprint Blackberry 8830 Data Tethering
    THANK-YOU SOOOOO much. This couldn't have been easier. While not quite as fast as a cable connection to my netbook, BT tethering worked perfectly and NO software to install. Now I can take my MBA on business instead of looking at a 10" screen. Thanks again
    08-23-09 02:18 PM
    For Sprint users, doesn't the Sprint software that is available on their website work good enough? I've used it with the 8330 and it's fine. I guess I'm not sure why someone would pay $30-50 for a program when that's available and free. If I'm missing something I'd like to hear what the difference is.
    I second this statement. It is FREE on sprint. Just download smartview from sprint.com/download.
    08-23-09 09:03 PM
    thats right VZAM does not support BB on Macs, i dont know jack about Macs but i was able to tether over bluetooth for a customers 8830. first you need to setup a bluetooth connection to the Mac, once its connected you need to setup an Internet Connection. the user name is gonna be "your [email protected]", the PW is "vzw" and the dial up number is "#777". if all goes well there should be an icon for your BB next to Airport, disable Airport and connect with the BB. the icon should have a scrolling message "dialing" then "connected" and the LED indicator on your BB should be blinking blue.
    I did all this, get to the connecting part and quickly disconnected. My guess is BT tethering on VZW and a 9630 DOES NOT work. I've seen a million posts about tetherberry, sprint instructions, 8830 instructions, but nothing that proves it works with a 9630, Verizon (no tethering enabled on the account - no Access manager SW), Bluetooth and OS X. Everything I can find says you need VZW Access Manger and fork over the $30 extra to make it work. I had it all working with a Bold and AT&T so I know I am following the right steps.
    08-29-09 08:52 PM
    You'll need to download and install the VZAccess Manager software. You can get it here: VZAccess Manager. Click on "download now" and then scroll down to the PDA section and click the version for the Tour. It uses a new version (7.0.4). Connect your phone (usb cable normally but you could also use Bluetooth) and then run the program. I think it will automatically detect the phone but if not, use the "detect phone" button. I think you'll be able to follow along to get it running but if you need more help, let us know.

- James
    That link is saying an error when you follow the steps!
    09-09-09 11:38 PM
    It's whatever adds up to $60.

Voice plan + $30 BIS option + $30 tethering option = $60 in data options

or

Voice plan + $45 BES option + $15 tethering option = $60 in data options

or

Bundled (Voice+BES) blackberry plan + $15 tethering option.

so no matter what you have to pay verizon extra to tether?
    10-05-09 08:30 PM
    Just to clear something up (I've thoroughly tested this subject) - tethering via bt and usb on newer devices with rev-a speeds and the latest bt chips are neck and neck. You're not losing much if any bandwidth by tethering via bt. Speed tests in several markets confirm this. Can't say the sae for older berries, but with the tour I can safely say that it really just dosent matter which connection method you use anymore.

When I get the time, ill rewrite some detailed tethering instructions for mac and pc, via usb and bt, and with sprint and vzw. Anyone who wants to help me with tethering via usb/bt on mac/pc for other major carriers, please pm me, and ill contact you when ready. I'm hoping that this tethering superthread that I create can be stickied, as the tether questions here frequently spiral out of control with misinformation, and repeat questions....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 09:00 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD