Hey everyone,

I got a few too many adult beverages in me and was using my Tour while I was in the hot tub. I didn't drop it in or anything to that effect, but I believe that the constant hot humidity and then me putting it down and freezing in the cold did something to it, the problem is, I don't understand what is wrong? Basically, some of the problems I am having don't seem to make sense with the phone physically getting wet. The litmus paper is red (I believe from the humidity, because I did not drop it in). Anyways, when the phone is sleeping with the black screen and I push the trackball in, nothing happens. I can roll it around and push it as fast as I want, but nothing will happen, and the screen will not turn on. However, if I HOLD the trackball in for about 3 seconds, the phone comes out of sleep, and I can put my password in. Then, if I push my BB key to go to more icons, the trackball does not work. I try to roll it around and it will stay stuck on the one I started on. BUT, if I press the menu key again (to bring up move etc.) then exit out of that, the trackball will work fine. It doesn't make sense to me because the ball is working completely fine? Also, whenever I'm typing, keys will randomly not hit, but if I type a lot slower than I am able to, everything is fine. The OS is not running slow at all. It almost seems to me that because the litmus paper got wet, something in the phone is screwing up the OS? I don't get how everything actually works, but it doesn't? Anyone have any insight on this? I've done a battery pull and everything to that effect, but I'm confused.
    12-30-09 12:40 AM
    Lol....first of all...u maybe confused because you've had too many drinks...lol..jk..well, in order to understand why the trackball is reacting the way it is, you need to understand on how the trackball works....but the most obvious to any one is your Tour got moisture issues right now and if I where you I would turn that sucker off and take out the battery. Stop messin with it, sober up ...and wait till tomorrow when its dry. Its an electronic device..humidity, moisture,...it doesn't go together with electrical stuff..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 01:28 AM
    The hot tub was more than a week ago, it's been doing this since then. The phone was never off, never submerged, or anything like that. It was working the whole time I was using it in the tub, and it continues to work now, just with these issues which make no sense?
    12-30-09 01:41 AM
    Ohhhh that happened last week....whoa...ya u might have false circuit registry on the boards because of the moisture...in other words..proper procedure wasn't taken like leaving the battery out and ur phone got busted...at least that's my opinion. Not sure if its fixable. I mean..its been a week now...what do u think? Nothing to get confused about really.
    12-30-09 01:49 AM
    Because it doesn't make sense to me how simply pressing the menu key, then pressing back, fixes anything? It would still be on the same circuit and would have a continual problem, no? It works perfectly fine in every other situation..
    12-30-09 02:25 AM
    put it in a bowl of uncooked white rice for a few days. see if that fixes it :/

I know it's probably not the best solution, but it's about the only way that i know of to fix moisture issues
    12-30-09 02:50 AM
    Rice wont do anything after a week,it should have Been done right away. If you think your OS is screwed up, just wipe your phone clean and re-install your OS. Im pretty sure excess humidity is the culprit an has damaged your phone but still worth a shot at wiping it clean.
    If you still have the issue after that, well hope you have insurance .
    Last edited by GG1; 12-30-09 at 06:59 AM.
    12-30-09 06:48 AM
    It's the excess humidity. It's nearly as damaging as dunking your phone in the hot tub itself. I had a friend who would take her BlackBerry in the bathroom with her and fire up Pandora while she was showering and the humidity from the shower damaged her phone exactly like you're describing. It's too late to even bother with the rice trick because you've already damaged the phone by using it for a week. If you have insurance, you'll be able to do an insurance claim, but outside of that, you're screwed.
    12-30-09 11:32 AM
    I agree that the phone may be done, but I would try maybe a new batter to see if it makes a difference? I spilled a sunstantial amount of water on my tour a few days ago, let it dry and got a new battery and its fine. It was doing similar things as yours is. Also, you can try to take a hairdryer and dry up some of the water. however, it may be too late because it is a week. Good Luck!
    12-30-09 11:49 AM
    The rice trick actually works but I reccoment a zip lock bag full of it and seal it up for a few days. That should withdraw all the moisture out of it.

12-30-09 12:12 PM
    Any pics you could post from "hot tub" session?
    12-30-09 12:34 PM
    Well, the first day after, while it was still working I put it in a bag of rice and left it over night. My battery litmus still looks fine, red line with white around it, but the other one just has a faint red on it. I have insurance but I don't really feel like paying the deductable. It just makes no sense to me how it can work completely fine in every other situation other than the ones I'm describing. I'm getting used to holding the button in for 3 seconds to turn it on and pressing menu/back to get my ball moving again. This has to be some sort of CONSPIRACY!
    12-30-09 02:49 PM
    like everyone else i think it is too late to save your device completely, but you should be glad because you can still do a full back up of everything on the phone since it partially works...
    12-30-09 02:55 PM
    Personally I think you should just pay up the deductable. You chose to use it in a high humidity environment, so any damages to the device are really your fault and you're to blame, intoxicated or not. It's like a freaking laptop, granted you didn't drop it, but the excess heat put off from a hot tub is enough to overcook the processor.

Then you had the not so common sense to set it down AWAY from the heat and humidty after sweat probably formed on it so reintroducing it back into the heated area every time you used it caused the frozen sweat to thaw and leak into the insides of your phone.

Yep, your fault there . You won't get any pitty from this BB user. I think you should just suck it up and pay up and stop and think about what you're doing next time. And it's a really good possibility that because the damage is going to be considered water damage, the insurance most likely isn't going to cover it, especially when you explain how you were using it.

Welcome to the world of common sense and drinking responsibly.
    12-30-09 02:57 PM

Really? You think that is irresponsible drinking? I better not tell you any of my stories then...

Drunk driving is irresponsible drinking. Using your phone in the hot tub is just not-thinking.
    12-30-09 03:13 PM
    Really? You think that is irresponsible drinking? I better not tell you any of my stories then...

Drunk driving is irresponsible drinking. Using your phone in the hot tub is just not-thinking.
    LMAO, ok, you're right. I conceed to "Not thinking Drinking".
    12-30-09 03:14 PM
    Personally I think you should just pay up the deductable. You chose to use it in a high humidity environment, so any damages to the device are really your fault and you're to blame, intoxicated or not. It's like a freaking laptop, granted you didn't drop it, but the excess heat put off from a hot tub is enough to overcook the processor.

Then you had the not so common sense to set it down AWAY from the heat and humidty after sweat probably formed on it so reintroducing it back into the heated area every time you used it caused the frozen sweat to thaw and leak into the insides of your phone.

Yep, your fault there . You won't get any pitty from this BB user. I think you should just suck it up and pay up and stop and think about what you're doing next time. And it's a really good possibility that because the damage is going to be considered water damage, the insurance most likely isn't going to cover it, especially when you explain how you were using it.

Ummm, I just got a brand new Tour after getting pushed into a pool with mine. The whole point of insurance, in my opinion, is to cover water damage. Next time, please check your facts before making a blanket statement like that.
    12-30-09 03:16 PM
    Ummm, I just got a brand new Tour after getting pushed into a pool with mine. The whole point of insurance, in my opinion, is to cover water damage. Next time, please check your facts before making a blanket statement like that.
    Actually, I do know my facts.

YOUR case, you WERE PUSHED in to a pool, you didn't decide to JUMP into the pool willingly.

HIS CASE, he CHOSE to SIT IN A HOT TUB AND USE HIS PHONE.

Big difference there in intent buddy, perhaps you need to look at insurance claims and liability a little bit further.
    12-30-09 03:18 PM
    LMAO, ok, you're right. I conceed to "Not thinking Drinking".
    ok, that's a lot better
    12-30-09 03:23 PM

YOUR case, you WERE PUSHED in to a pool, you didn't decide to JUMP into the pool willingly.

Big difference there in intent buddy, perhaps you need to look at insurance claims and liability a little bit further.
    When I talked to Asurion on Wednesday, I was told it didn't matter how the device was damaged.

Short of you intentionally taking a hammer to the device, I believe they will cover any and all damage/loss/theft of the device.

It sounds like you're a little bitter...some insurance company not cover you burning yourself with coffee or something?
    12-30-09 03:28 PM
    When I talked to Asurion on Wednesday, I was told it didn't matter how the device was damaged.

Short of you intentionally taking a hammer to the device, I believe they will cover any and all damage/loss/theft of the device.

It sounds like you're a little bitter...some insurance company not cover you burning yourself with coffee or something?
    Me, bitter? No, I've never had to file an insurance claim on a phone thankfully. I'm bitter that the OP made a CHOICE decision (again, I do stress it was a choice, UNLIKE YOURS where you for forcefully moved into the water) and then wonders and complains why the phone doesn't work. Not Thinking Drinking is what I chaulk it up to, period.

And me on a personal level, i'm a cut and dry person. If it's your fault, it's your fault, don't try to change it so it sounds good. I've worked claims for a number of agencies, Uncle Sam being one of them, so I know the strigent side of the house. Yes, again, in your case I would show compassion, you weren't the ***** friend who decided you and your phone needed a bath. Was it neglegence on your part, NO. Therefore, since it WASN'T your fault, yes I would honor that claim. Since it WAS the OP's fault, yes, if it's the company's policy to honor the claim, but because of his neglegence it's going to cost him a bit more, i'm all the more happier to collect that for the company.
    12-30-09 03:42 PM

I must have missed the part where I was expecting any sympathy or pity* from you? I was curious as to a possible fix, because what is going on with my phone doesn't make any sense. It has nothing to do with responsible drinking, so please don't attempt to lecture me about it. It's not as if I was driving intoxicated and holding it out my door dragging it through puddles, so calm down. Obviously whatever occurs with the phone is my fault, when did I say it wasn't? It doesn't make sense to me how the phone works completely fine other than these 3 simple things. The trackball works all the time, the keys work all the time with these exceptions. Thank you for your concern, though, and I'll be sure to attend the next BB A.A. class.
    12-30-09 03:49 PM

This comment is too funny!! So you are saying that next time I get pushed in a pool, I should tell the nice people at Sprint that it wasn't my fault, I was pushed in the pool, LOL!!!

For some reason I just don't think they would buy that..... Maybe instead I will say my dog tried to eat it?
    12-30-09 03:51 PM
    It's the excess humidity. It's nearly as damaging as dunking your phone in the hot tub itself.
    I did not see it mentioned but does the excess humidity cause the moisture stickers to change color? If not I would bring it in and have it replaced under warranty.

The rice trick actually works but I reccoment a zip lock bag full of it and seal it up for a few days.
    The rice trick lol I would love to see Mythbusters take 2 phones, Blackberries actually, and drop them both in water and put one in a bag of rice and have one air dry and see if they both work after.

Any pics you could post from "hot tub" session?
    Lmao
    12-30-09 04:59 PM
    Ok, because it happened over a week ago and in all that time you have had the thing on AND the battery in it, it is now toast!

I fix phones, I see a lot of phones come in with moisture damage. You NEED to take the battery out ASAP as that is the catalyst of the damage. You get water settling on the board and the electrical current passes through the path of least resistance. Water in this case. You will also start to get corrosion within an hour of said shorts. You phone is done... toast.. Get it replaced.

As for the Rice trick, yes it does work but ONLY if you have taken the battery out as soon as it has gotten wet. Otherwise the Rice will do jack with the moisture already causing damage due to the battery being in. All the rice does is draw the moisture out of the phone. You can get the same effect by getting some torx screwdrivers, removing the plastics and using a hairdryer on on board. Also have some 99% alcohol and a brush and give the board a damn good clean. DO NOT use the stuff you can get at Walmart and the pharmacy, as its usually 80% with 20% water and that does more damage than good.
    12-30-09 08:09 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD