So I'm out of my 2 year contract by about two months by now. I can essentially get a tour for 99.99 (100 discount). However, Verizon has treated me like SUCH **** lately that it's kind of hard to go back for another two years.

I wanted to go Sprint because the Pre is, imo, the best phone out right now. I asked Sprint if I could take a loaner phone out for a day, test the service, and they did. End result.. sprint is garbage. 1-2 bars, no EVDO in about 1/2 my town. Going outside my town netted almost no service everywhere I went, whereas my crap-*** BB storm was getting 3+ bars and 2+ bars of EVDO everywhere.

Here's my delimma. I want to wait until the Pre comes to verizon, but I currently have no phone (storm was given to my sibling). I'm thinking about buying the tour now, and then just selling it in a few months for the Pre. Who knows, maybe the Tour will grow on me, but so far I haven't been thrilled with BB's in general. Now, since Verizon has treated me like such crap (and I really mean it, completely disrespectful to me because I'm 20, even though I'm the "owner"/guy who pays of the account. I'm thinking about telling them I want the $100 for the tour waived or else I'm walking. If it comes down to that, I'll just move to ATT if they won't. Has this worked for anyone?
    08-06-09 03:45 PM
    Hrm maybe not
    08-06-09 04:06 PM
    That will not work, they will show you where the front door is. You are not a long time customer. They are not going to fold and give you a free tour because you are upset. Verizon is pricey but a good company with great service. They wouldn't be disrespectful if you weren't 20 and acting like you are 16. Based on your words above I can imagine why the folks at big red have had problems dealing with you and vice versa. The Tour is a great phone, I highly suggest it even if it costs $200. If your account hasn't been noted already about previous contacts between you and VZW, try being nice and see where it takes you. They really don't care how old you are. Good luck
    08-06-09 04:12 PM
    Not trying to be disrespectful, but think of how many people verizon has on their network...?? Sure they want your money, but I dont think they'll give you a free phone to keep you as a customer. I wish you all the best, but verizon is just too big. I dont wanna say they dont care, but they dont care IMO
    08-06-09 04:18 PM
    I can�t imagine that VZW will give you the phone for free. Although an individual rep may have treated your poorly, they are not in the business of giving away their newest Blackberry. No offense, but for a giant like Big Red, your individual account will not affect their bottom line. In fact, if you decide to leave, they will charge you the ETF. It�s worth a shot to complain and see what they may offer you but I certainly wouldn�t get my hopes up. Good luck!
    08-06-09 04:20 PM
    So I'm out of my 2 year contract by about two months by now. I can essentially get a tour for 99.99 (100 discount). However, Verizon has treated me like SUCH **** lately that it's kind of hard to go back for another two years.

I wanted to go Sprint because the Pre is, imo, the best phone out right now. I asked Sprint if I could take a loaner phone out for a day, test the service, and they did. End result.. sprint is garbage. 1-2 bars, no EVDO in about 1/2 my town. Going outside my town netted almost no service everywhere I went, whereas my crap-*** BB storm was getting 3+ bars and 2+ bars of EVDO everywhere.

Here's my delimma. I want to wait until the Pre comes to verizon, but I currently have no phone (storm was given to my sibling). I'm thinking about buying the tour now, and then just selling it in a few months for the Pre. Who knows, maybe the Tour will grow on me, but so far I haven't been thrilled with BB's in general. Now, since Verizon has treated me like such crap (and I really mean it, completely disrespectful to me because I'm 20, even though I'm the "owner"/guy who pays of the account. I'm thinking about telling them I want the $100 for the tour waived or else I'm walking. If it comes down to that, I'll just move to ATT if they won't. Has this worked for anyone?
    Did yo have your SPrint loaner phone set to roam or Sprint PCS only/ Because Sprint does give their customers free roaming and I get servic everywhere VZW people do and some other placecs to.
    08-06-09 04:26 PM
    And if you go to ATT you'll have to pay the $175 deactivation fee Verizon charges. If you go over your contract time, it automatically renews.

Someone correct me if Im wrong...but if you want to cancel and not pay, you have to do it on your contract renewal date.
    08-06-09 04:27 PM
    Got mine free through Sprint Retentions, I didn't even have to get a "BIS" with it. I really love this, and will NEVER go back to Windows Mobile!
    08-06-09 04:34 PM
    The sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

It's amazing at 20 how unfair the world seems, and how much it owes people.
    08-06-09 04:39 PM
    I think it is pretty ridiculous that you just said you really didn't have an affinity for the Tour, but you'll take it if you get it for free.

Which leads me to believe that you're not really interested in the functionality of the device so much as getting something for nothing.

I really don't have a suggestion for you, you really have no Company Loyalty, so there's no reason Verizon should give you anything other than what you're entitled to, which is the new contract price.
    08-06-09 04:46 PM
    You've decided that Sprint sucks based on the lack of reception with a Palm?Yeah, I'd definitely move to at&t. I'd demand an iPhone 3G (with the compass app) for free or threaten to leave them too. It would be the perfect phone for you. Mmmm hmmm biscuits n' mustard.
    08-06-09 07:10 PM
    And if you go to ATT you'll have to pay the $175 deactivation fee Verizon charges. If you go over your contract time, it automatically renews.

Someone correct me if Im wrong...but if you want to cancel and not pay, you have to do it on your contract renewal date.
    I'm not 100% but I don't think your contract automatically renews for 2 years. They've always made me explicitly agree when I'm extending my contract, so I doubt that they could automatically renew it.
    08-06-09 07:27 PM
    Got the phone for free. I don't have a sense of entitlement, I just don't like companies treating me like garbage because I'm young or because they don't care about the customer once they sign a contract.

And FWIW, I didn't go into the store acting like a brat like some people really like to ASSume in this thread. I calmly talked to a manager about how I had been treated at another store, and how much it irked me as I pay for my entire family's contract and yet they treated me like a child, lied to me and more or less ignored my help requests. The guy initially told me he couldn't do anything on the price of a phone, but he'd call someone up and ask. Called someone up, spoke for a few minutes, told me he'd give me the phone for $100. I thanked him for my time, and told him I was going to shop around first. He asked me to wait, called the guy up again, wound up giving me the phone for $50 plus a $50 credit on my first bill.

I'm not one of those idiots who thinks he deserves everything for nothing. If anyone on here was treated as I was by two different verizon managers after simple requests, you'd be upset too. For example, every month we were constantly getting a $2-5 data charge on our bill. NONE of us who didn't have data were using it. Every month, I'd call in and be assured it was fixed and noted in my account in case it happened agian. Finally, went down to the store. They blocked everything on our phones, including picture texting. I told her I needed the picture texting as it's used regularly and we were paying for unlimited texting. She said (verbatim): "Look, it's picture texting or data charges. Let me know when you decide" and walked away to help someone else. Now I know everyone on here will proceed to ridicule me for acting like a child somehow, because that's the nature of the internet, but in reality you know you'd be furious if you were spoken to like that.
    08-06-09 07:52 PM
    a FREE tour?

I worked for them years back, even then they rarely gave out anything for free. You would have to get the right rep, get it escalated to the right people and then hope that person was in a forgiving mood. So is it possible? sure, so is winning the lottery.

Just be careful for refurbs.. there are some floating around. The company I work for got a handful of Tours, all refurbs for the big boys to play with. I don't rate high enough for a company phone yet (thank god).
    Last edited by dondk; 08-06-09 at 08:04 PM.
    08-06-09 07:59 PM
    Now I know everyone on here will proceed to ridicule me for acting like a child somehow, because that's the nature of the internet, but in reality you know you'd be furious if you were spoken to like that
    You�re very correct. I would not have been happy about this kind of treatment� I also would have given her and her immediate supervisor my complete and undivided attention until she corrected her behavior. There is an Alltel (now probably Verizon) store in Liberal, KS with one less salesperson (bratty little girl, probably pushing French fries at a drive through now) that can attest to this fact. What I would not have done is expected another store manager to make it right for her. Generally when someone behaves this way, it�s not the first time (as has been the rule in my experiences). If you don�t follow up immediately on the behavior, it doesn�t matter if you�re 20 or 40 years old. They are not going to understand why you�ve waited thus far to come back and demand restitution in the form of a new phone. It�s going to sound fishy to them, like you were making something up to get your way (I�m not implying you did, I�m just stating how I would see things if I were in that position and someone showed up to MY store to complain about C/S at another store).
    08-07-09 05:57 AM
    I have to tell you Sprint/Nextel has been nothing but good to me... I received the 8350i, 8330M and now the Tour for $.99 to + Shipping total I think was like $1.06. As for Service with the tour no problems even when Roaming on other Towers (Verizon) albeit you have to dial the area code but I can live with that!!!!
    Last edited by para4218; 08-07-09 at 06:19 AM.
    08-07-09 06:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD