Finally going in to get a replacement Tour tomorrow.

Had problems with the trackball since day 1 but was able to deal with it so I hadn't taken back.

Recently started having problems with the phone resetting on its own at totally random times.

Then last week it took me 4 hours and 5 restarts to download and install BBM after that whole RIM outage that was related to Messenger.

Finally today I had to do a battery pull after I was unable to place calls. When the phone came back on I had a 552 error or something like that....said I needed to reinstall the OS. Too bad Desktop Manager was unable to do so after 3 try's. So tomorrow I go into Verizon for a replacement. Hope they treat me well and don't make me wait 45 minutes like usual!

I am so ready to go to the Droid....just waiting for my 12 month mark.

I know, pointless post here. But I have no phone to use so I need something for entertainment!
    01-01-10 10:43 PM
    I hope you had better luck than me. When I got the 552 error, I went to a Verizon store because my internet was out at that moment. They simple told me There's nothing they can do and I had to fix it myself at home with the desktop manager. Went to my friends place googled 552 error and after a couple of minutes messing with the desktop manager, I manage to get the phone to work.
    01-02-10 12:48 AM
    It was an experience, but I walked with a brand new Tour! The rep was immediately willing to give me a replacement under my warranty but said they would ship a refurb on Monday, 2 day air. I basically said I wasn't leaving the store without a phone. Three managers later, I walked out with a new phone. Each manager wanted to try and solve the problem but the rep had dealt with the 552 problem before and told his managers that a new phone as necessary.

The rep was great, too bad his managers didn't trust him and kept wanting to give me the run around. An hour later, I had a new Tour and man is this one soooo much better! Trackball is great, running super smooth.

I think this might last me until June when I get a Droid or whatever the latest/greatest Android phone is.
    01-02-10 05:44 PM
    Reload Software 552 Error is common with Tours running OS 4.7.1.61 and lower. i've read it's a non issue on 5.0 OS. It seems to be an app indexing bug. i've had two 552 Errors this week.

It's a pretty annoying issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 06:48 PM
    VZW is great; atleast customer/tech support always has been to me and my family! I'm suprised they handed over a new phone right in the store though even with all the difficulty!!! They've never allowed me to leave with a phone... They have sent me home to reactive one of the other phones/BBs that I have in the old arsenal... What's the secret? I'm suprised too that the tech was so quick to tell his managers that the 552 couldn't be fixed. There have been quite a few on the CBforums alone with 552 index messes that were a pain, but managable via the DM. Your issues do sound odd though with the inability to makes calls, restarts, and the likes before you actually got the message. Probably something greater going on there as well. Glad to hear you got the NEW 9630 though and are loving the trackball... Haven't heard too much of that either!

Don't go Droid though unless you really really play with the thing in the store and fall in love with it. A couple of friends have jumped on the bandwagon right off the start here and are more than disappointed. Email trouble, camera issues, etc. See what you think when the time comes. IMO all phones have bugs and issues. Of course, some much more than others, but its going to happen on some particular devices no matter what. For me (and I'm sure most other people), it comes down to what my needs are and what the device has in terms of strengths and weaknesses. I dont' really care what it looks like personally. If it works great and fits comfortably in my pocket without a massive bulge, I'm happy. Could look like a clump of dirt and I'm okay with it.

On the restarting side, it seems (in my limited knowledge) that VZW's software has been causing crazy restarts on a some phones across the board... Doesn't seem like its affected the BB's so much, but my mom and sister have the ENVtouch and ENV3 and had to go into the store to see what the heck was going on. Their phones were restarting 4+ times a day all on their own and were deleting things from the SD cards at each restart. My friend's VZW HTC device has been having similar restart issues as well. For all three of them, VZW basically said wait. The reps said that they were having loads of people calling CS/TS and coming into the stores about the issue and they had to await the new software and come back in for updates. Wonder what is going on.
    Last edited by d5115r; 01-03-10 at 06:59 AM.
    01-03-10 06:54 AM
    Do you have the optional insurance add on or just the regular warranty for a new phone?

It was an experience, but I walked with a brand new Tour! The rep was immediately willing to give me a replacement under my warranty but said they would ship a refurb on Monday, 2 day air. I basically said I wasn't leaving the store without a phone. Three managers later, I walked out with a new phone. Each manager wanted to try and solve the problem but the rep had dealt with the 552 problem before and told his managers that a new phone as necessary.

The rep was great, too bad his managers didn't trust him and kept wanting to give me the run around. An hour later, I had a new Tour and man is this one soooo much better! Trackball is great, running super smooth.

I think this might last me until June when I get a Droid or whatever the latest/greatest Android phone is.
    01-03-10 10:54 AM
    Do you have the optional insurance add on or just the regular warranty for a new phone?
    I have insurance but told them no way in **** they were using it...why should i have to pay a $50 deductible when it's an issue that I didn't cause and the phone is still under warranty.

I think the only reason I got a new phone was that I literally told them I wasn't leaving without a phone. I am an a$$ like that.
    01-03-10 12:03 PM
    I have insurance but told them no way in **** they were using it...why should i have to pay a $50 deductible when it's an issue that I didn't cause and the phone is still under warranty.

I think the only reason I got a new phone was that I literally told them I wasn't leaving without a phone. I am an a$$ like that.
    hmmm.... i should've tried that. i'm without a phone till tuesday.

on a somewhat related note, the rep at my corporate store said they are no longer stocking the tour, they have to order them.....!!!!
    01-03-10 12:50 PM
    on a somewhat related note, the rep at my corporate store said they are no longer stocking the tour, they have to order them.....!!!!
    Its a sign! should we be getting more excited now?
    01-03-10 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD