View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get a Tour 9630 now, it's a great phone!

48 57.83%
  • Wait for the 9650, the current Tour is fine but the 9650 will blow it out of the water.

28 33.73%
  • Wait for the 9650, the current Tour has too many problems

7 8.43%
    I am semi-new to the Blackberry scene (have been reading this forum for a few months but do not currently own a Blackberry yet). I have been waiting for the Tour 9650 to come out, but my old LG Voyager is on its last legs and I really need a new phone ASAP.

For the people who have purchased a Tour 9630 in the last 2 months, have you had any problems? I know the original trackballs were problematic, I'm just wondering what I should do.
    02-17-10 07:23 PM
    I just purchased my Tour on Jan. 9th. It works wonderfully. I haven't had any problems with the trackball with the new software update .61. Its a great device that gets things done, and the global capabilities are nice to have. With the way things are looking, it doesn't seem like the 9650 will be released anytime soon. You'll be happy with the 9630. If you don't need wifi, then this is a great phone for you. I recommend it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 07:31 PM
    I voted wait but don't think it will blow it out of the water. It will just be a little better with the new features. There is nothing wrong with my Tour and it does everything I need and then some.
    02-17-10 07:41 PM
    ive had my Tour since October (bought off ebay) and its been fine. T2 will not blow anything out of the water, just add some nice features
    02-17-10 07:49 PM
    I got my Tour a few months ago and loving it. Unless you want wifi and want a trackpad instead of a trackball, then wait. For me i tested the trackball on the new curve vzw released and did not like it personally.
    02-17-10 07:52 PM
    I got my Tour a few months ago and loving it. Unless you want wifi and want a trackpad instead of a trackball, then wait. For me i tested the trackball on the new curve vzw released and did not like it personally.
    You mean trackpad on new Curve right?

02-17-10 08:05 PM
    Yeah trackpad I meant, sorry.

02-17-10 08:16 PM
    I got mine back in early September (wasn't even a green dot) and it's been working fine. The newer ones should be even better...

Wi-fi would be interesting, as would the track pad but I really like the trackball, even though it needs occasional cleaning.

02-17-10 08:21 PM
    Go for it the blackberry tour is a great phone and using the keyboard is a lot better than the curve, go for it dude!!!!

02-17-10 08:23 PM
    ive had my Tour since October (bought off ebay) and its been fine. T2 will not blow anything out of the water, just add some nice features
    Same here, on Tour since the beginning of October. Trackball was weird on the early ones but after an exchange or two, it's been rock solid for 4 months. Now on 5.0 and enjoying it very much. WiFi would be nice, but friends who have trackpad versions actually kike the trackball better! On on the fence with that one...
    02-17-10 08:49 PM
    I bought a Tour to replace my wifes Curve and she loves it.
    02-17-10 09:02 PM
    I voted to wait for Tour 2, as the trackpad is much much better then having a trackball
    02-17-10 09:12 PM
    In my opinion, hold out and wait for the new Tour.

I hated the trackpad at first, but after using the 9700, I FELL IN LOVE with the trackpad and could never go back.

Trust me, never having to worry about the trackball getting stuck is a good feeling. I'm an AVID user so I go through trackballs like its my job.

Wait for the new one.
    02-17-10 09:19 PM
    Personally I'm very happy with the Tour. I got mine in early January and chose it over the Bold mainly just due to form factor - it felt more comfortable in my hand and I liked that it was slightly slimmer. I didn't have any preference over trackball/trackpad. At first I was a little peeved about not having Wi-Fi, but where I am (Toronto) the 3G connection seems great, and I haven't gone anywhere near my monthly limit of 1 GB so I have no real use for Wi-Fi.

So far, not a single trackball issue and I use my phone quite extensively. The OS is very smooth and while the browser was underwhelming at first, upon downloading Opera Mini 5.2 it is certainly satisfactory. Also ever since upgrading my OS to 5.0 is has been smooth as an Asian lady's behind. I am very happy with my phone. I would recommend it.
    02-17-10 10:24 PM
    I've had my 9630 since Dec. 09 and have had no problems at all with the trackball or anything else. It's a great phone. My advice would be to go with the 9630. For one, we don't know when 9650 is coming out and who knows what kind of problems might come with it. The first 9630's to come out seem to have had issues with the trackball, now they don't. I'd say get the 9630 now wait for them to work out any bugs with the 9650 and then upgrade in a year or so if wi-fi is something you really have to have.
    02-18-10 09:31 AM
    The tour is the best EVER! The idea of even having a poll with a ''hate'' option is ridiculous!!
    02-18-10 10:06 AM
    I just got my Tour last week on 2/9/10. It has been awesome. I had been waiting for the 9650 since December, and my Touch Pro was just about dead. I've been super careful (borderline obsessive) with the trackball, and I have even cleaned it twice since I got it. No problems there. I went to the store to buy the 8530 b/c of the trackpad, wifi, and OS 5.0. I think I stood in the store for about an hour and a half before choosing the Tour. I honestly thought that I would LOVE the trackpad, but it wasn't so hot in person (to me). My thumb felt as if it was sticking and I liked the control of the ball. I also liked the picture quality of the Tour better. I took several sample shots. In all I love my new Tour. And I am crossing my fingers about the trackball holding up for me! Get the Tour!!!
    02-18-10 10:59 AM
    I just got my Tour on 2/6/10. I agree it's been great. No trackball problems or any problems of any kind. This is a real solid phone. I was waiting on the 9650 as well. But I don't need WiFi and I played around with the trackpad on the new Curve for probably over an hour. It was nice but I like the trackball on my Tour. I just hope we get the official OS 5.0 soon from Verizon.
    02-18-10 11:45 AM
    Waiting for the new model might just be waiting for problems.... new devices usually come with their own bugs that need to be worked out which can sometimes take weeks or months. Most of the problems with the 9630 have been worked out by this point and you will be buying a solid device. Just my opnion, but I would wait at least a few months AFTER the Tour2 gets released to see what problems might come with it.
    02-18-10 11:53 AM
    I got a Tour for Xmas and that has been my best gift. Don't wait, go get one now. The Tour2 will be nice, but like anything else new it will have its glitches when it first hits the market.
    02-18-10 12:25 PM
    The 9630 is my first Blackberry and I like a lot of things about it. But there are issues that are super annoying, one being the trackball. I know it's been a problematic issue for this particular model, but even when I'd played with friends' Blackberries prior to moving over to my phone, I still thought the trackball is annoying. Plus, a WiFi would be nice.

But since the phone is so much cheaper now than when it first came out, I'd say go for it if you don't mind the above. It's a pretty cool phone.
    02-18-10 12:32 PM
    You need another option "get a different phone". I'm getting real tired with the problems of the tour, both on leaked (yeah i know they are leaked) and official os. I don't get texts half the time. When I do they come in rather large bunches. On top of that sometimes I cannot read a text, even when deleting and having the person send it again. Threaded sms has become crap now that we have to "press r to reply". Oh and dont even get me started on the browser. Let me dig out my 14.4 modem to browse the web... Would be faster. Yeah yeah, webkit browser, we shall see. Nice demo that they showed, on wifi... RIM cant seem to get their act together. This phone is my first berry and I cannot recommend that anyone else get one in good conscious. Forgot the muffled sound from the ear piece. Gotta love that...

Also, I used to see people who would make posts like me and figure that their complaints are unfounded. Out of the three people that I know that own tours (personally at work) they are all waiting to jump ship to something better. I know I am. RIM really needs to up their game in order to survive...
    02-18-10 12:34 PM
    Well, from the posts on this forum I guess most of the trackball issues have been solved. And, most of the problems people are having with hardware/software seems to be because they upgraded to OS before the official verizon 5.0 release.

Am i on track here?
    02-19-10 03:52 PM
    I just got my Tour last week on 2/9/10. It has been awesome. I had been waiting for the 9650 since December, and my Touch Pro was just about dead. I've been super careful (borderline obsessive) with the trackball, and I have even cleaned it twice since I got it. No problems there. I went to the store to buy the 8530 b/c of the trackpad, wifi, and OS 5.0. I think I stood in the store for about an hour and a half before choosing the Tour. I honestly thought that I would LOVE the trackpad, but it wasn't so hot in person (to me). My thumb felt as if it was sticking and I liked the control of the ball. I also liked the picture quality of the Tour better. I took several sample shots. In all I love my new Tour. And I am crossing my fingers about the trackball holding up for me! Get the Tour!!!
    I just got my Tour on 2/6/10. I agree it's been great. No trackball problems or any problems of any kind. This is a real solid phone. I was waiting on the 9650 as well. But I don't need WiFi and I played around with the trackpad on the new Curve for probably over an hour. It was nice but I like the trackball on my Tour. I just hope we get the official OS 5.0 soon from Verizon.
    I just spent and hour also at Verizon playing with the curve and tour side by side. Now that i actually got to use a trackpad i was not that happy with it. going to get a tour tomorrow. No point in waiting for the tour 2 anymore.
    02-19-10 04:07 PM
    I got mine in nov and it has been great. I like the tackpad more for the look then functionality. The ball has given me no issues, pick up some "cyber clean" and that keeps it clean. OS 5 is great. I like the idea of wifi but there seams to be no idea of when its coming, **** theres more storm 3 news then tour 2 news.

D
    Last edited by deke.sask; 02-19-10 at 06:29 PM.
    02-19-10 06:25 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD