this is my first< i have a tour 9630 with verizon, i have the "precision zen" theme installed that was on the phone, (factory), i just noticed for the first time that if you press and hold the BB key that a sub screen pops up with 7 icons just like they would be on the bottom row, it has standard icons and some 3rd party apps also, my question is, how do i change these icons to the ones that i want to be there, this is a very handy setup, and i would like to use it for icons that i select. ( cant belive i never saw this before ). i have been a Blackberry user for 4 years now. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by denbow; 07-13-10 at 06:13 PM. Reason: verizon not alltel (anymore)
    07-13-10 06:12 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    Those icons make up your "app-switcher." This little pop-up bar makes the Blackberry what it is (one of my favorite features!!!) and is used for multitasking! Each icon represents an app that is running on the device. There are 5 (usually) that are always there (home, phone, messages, BBM, browser). Other than that, icons in this area are showing applications that you haven't "properly" closed out of or have quickly bounced out of in order to do something else (check a new message for example).

Press and hold the BB button then move with the trackball over to one of the icons and then press in the trackball. You'll see that opens the app you have selected. If you're finished with a 3rd party app make sure you have "properly" closed out of it or again it will sit there and hog up resources and in turn battery life!
    07-13-10 06:26 PM
    d5115r has it right on! This feature is great for multitasking btw. Take THAT iPhone!
    07-13-10 06:29 PM
    Take THAT iPhone!
    And no wiggly icons with little "x's" and a "sweaty," watery background either! Yuck.
    07-13-10 06:30 PM
    In other words, you can't "customize" it, there is simply an icon for each app that is currently running.
    07-13-10 06:32 PM
    That's correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 11:41 PM
    Yes, the App Switcher allows you to bounce back and forth between applications. It allows me to simultaneously run all of my BBM groups, and any other tasks I need to manage. It isn't uncommon for me to have 15 open apps running and be working on something else.

07-14-10 12:19 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry, denbow!
    07-14-10 12:34 AM
    OrR...u cAn prEssS uR aLt+? (return key) rather than pressing the ? button...but is ther any way of closing a program likE onA noKia whEre u hAve tHat meNu poPup oF opEn apps,tHen u juSs presS the "c" butTon and it cloSes the app...it's a **** one you can't do that on bberry

07-14-10 06:36 AM
    I agree, can you kill apps? I would love that.
    07-14-10 12:33 PM
    I agree, can you kill apps? I would love that.
    Hopefully soon if the QNX-OS rumors are true!
    07-14-10 12:47 PM
    thanks for the response, that feature combined with "quicklaunch" ...... i think i'm in love.
    07-15-10 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD