I've read several posts and see the Tour is not WiFi or GPS chip enabled. I've seem posts that say the Storm can get approx. location in Google Maps using the cell service signal. I'd really like this on Tour for general map location and searching for local businesses. Any idea if this will be enabled on the Tour. I realize this will not make it a good navigation device but is still somewhat useful.
    05-22-09 09:34 AM
    You can use BlackBerry Maps or Google Maps with the 9630. No problem.
    05-22-09 09:41 AM
    You're gonna be able to use the GPS, just like on the Storm.
    05-22-09 09:47 AM
    OP, you are mistaken. This phone will have GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 01:32 PM
    Thanks for the subtle hint
    05-22-09 02:37 PM
    Thanks for the subtle hint

this hasn't been a secret

and to the OP the storm can use google maps with gps no problem now. It just took a while for google to get it to work.

it works great and it will work fine on the 9630.
    05-22-09 03:01 PM
    How about third-party apps (e.g. Garmin)? Will they be supported like the Storm, or locked like the Curve, Pearl, 8830?
    05-22-09 05:54 PM
    Google maps is a third party app so its the same answer
    How about third-party apps (e.g. Garmin)? Will they be supported like the Storm, or locked like the Curve, Pearl, 8830?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 06:15 PM
    Thanks Crackberry posters.

Being a soon to be BB owner I was not sure what worked and what did not on Verizon. Did not mean to generate a whole string of replys. I currently use a windows PDA without a GPS chip and really dislike keeping a bluetooth receiving unit charged and nearby. It does have WiFi which I've used occasionally but can live without it. My contract is up in July so that should work out about right for the Tour.
    05-22-09 08:06 PM
    Thanks Crackberry posters.

Being a soon to be BB owner I was not sure what worked and what did not on Verizon. Did not mean to generate a whole string of replys. I currently use a windows PDA without a GPS chip and really dislike keeping a bluetooth receiving unit charged and nearby. It does have WiFi which I've used occasionally but can live without it. My contract is up in July so that should work out about right for the Tour.

hey welcome aboard no worrys on getting answers. You will find that crackberry has a ton o people who answer your questions for blackberry related issues. This very well could be your best resource for information on it.
    05-22-09 08:16 PM
    Google maps is a third party app so its the same answer
    Oh, I thought Google Maps worked on all BlackBerries, but that you only got a really vague location on the non-Storms via cell tower triangulation.

Anyway, I would imagine the GPS would be like the Storm, since that's basically what most of the hardware is based on. Just wanted to confirm and hear it from the horse's mouth.
    05-23-09 12:00 AM
    Oh, I thought Google Maps worked on all BlackBerries, but that you only got a really vague location on the non-Storms via cell tower triangulation.

Anyway, I would imagine the GPS would be like the Storm, since that's basically what most of the hardware is based on. Just wanted to confirm and hear it from the horse's mouth.

initially when the storm came out some people claimed that google maps was locked.. it was not locked and never was locked...

It took time for google to get there application working with the GPS on the new os'

the storm launched with a newer os then most previous blackberry's so it took a minute.

Previous to the storm verizon did lock GPS on there phones to there services.

They still however lock AGPS which isn't that major of a thing as the gps chip alone does a fine job. (At least this is what I have read)

If they unlocked it for the storm it would be ridiculous to think that they would lock it on any further blackberry's it just wouldn't be logical.. and would cause a huge up roar.
    05-23-09 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD