This evening my daughter got my phone without my knowledge and tried to guess my password and I had it set to 10 attempts and when she did it the 10th try and got it wrong it did a complete wipe of my phone including the memory card. is this normal? I thought it would lock out for like an hour or so when it was guessed wrong not erase everything, I thought the idea was to keep people that may have stolen the phone from getting access to it not wipe the phone and restore it to factory settings and having a working phone.
    11-25-10 08:11 PM
    Yes it is normal. Its a precautionary system to avoid people's info getting into the wrong hands. Usually I recommend perform a back-up via DM every week or two.
    11-25-10 08:13 PM
    Usually I recommend perform a back-up via DM every week or two.
    I do the back-ups as well I just was not aware that it did a complete wipe. glad to hear it is a normal reaction. Thanks
    11-25-10 08:15 PM
    No worries
    11-25-10 08:18 PM
    Definitely designed to do that, as indicated. Security can be a royal PITA, but at what cost would you compromise your info? I'd rather reload information than lose all of the goodies I keep in my BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-10 09:38 PM
    This evening my daughter got my phone without my knowledge and tried to guess my password and I had it set to 10 attempts and when she did it the 10th try and got it wrong it did a complete wipe of my phone including the memory card. is this normal? I thought it would lock out for like an hour or so when it was guessed wrong not erase everything, I thought the idea was to keep people that may have stolen the phone from getting access to it not wipe the phone and restore it to factory settings and having a working phone.
    The reason it wipes the device rather than times out is to prevent "brute force" password guessing attacks to break your password and access your data.

Basically it destroys your data to protect it from being stolen. If it didn't do that a thief could eventually break into your device and then they have your data plus a working device.
    11-25-10 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD