I have a BlackBerry that was water or should I say Diet Coke damaged and wouldn't turn on.

I left it in a bowl of rice overnight and can now fully power it on and recover data. The letter keys and track ball seem to work fine, however the the four primary keys, Talk, BB, Back, and End do not function.

What is the best way to repair it? should I look at replacing the entire keyboard?

thanks!
    02-02-11 10:43 AM
    What's the point of leaving the phone in a bowl of rice? Very curious

Haha we posted almost at the exact same time. I'm having trouble with the left side keys (green call + bbmenu). Very irritating for a frequent texter and web browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 12:51 PM
    the rice helps pull the moisture out of the phone, as anyone who has ever cooked rice knows, it sucks up water and expands.
    02-02-11 01:00 PM
    Well I would start dis assembly + battery removal (asap) the sugar will definitely make a brown substance on the motherboard and between the contacts. I wasn't there to see....was it splashed onto the BB? Or was it completely soaking the unit?

You will need to separate the unit and clean it with alcohol and set it to dry for the afternoon only because it has artificial sweetener in the drink. After that turn it on without putting it completely together. The metal contacts will be open and you can tell if there is permanent dmg.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD