I'm not sure if I fully understand the term but doesn't it just lay out the to and from messages just like our phone already does only maybe makes the colors different or makes it easier to differentiate from the two?

While I could see this would be slightly cooler I am seeing ppl who "can't wait" for it so there has to be something I'm missing? Please enlighten me.

Is it just going to make our inbox look more like iphone or treo?

Thx!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 11:48 AM
    It's really nothing special in my opinion. I could live without it.
    09-20-09 11:50 AM
    Coming from a Palm Treo 680, one of the first things I noticed was the lack of threaded SMS/MMS and how much I miss it. Palm's implementation of threaded messaging is excellent, and I certainly hope that RIM brings it to BlackBerry OS 5.0 for my Bold.
    09-20-09 11:53 AM
    I would rather a feature that told us the time a text was sent and the time it was actually received so we could tell if there was lag and we could tell when it was sent if phone was off and we turn it on later in middle of night so we don't accidentally wake some one up not knowing how fresh the message was.

09-20-09 11:53 AM
    The people who havent come from a palm device don't know what they are missing, threaded SMS was awesome...i am on the tour from a 700p, i loved the threaded SMS capability...and only didnt like one thing, the palm lagged when i had a conversation of like 100 messages
    09-20-09 11:55 AM
    Coming from a Palm Treo 680, one of the first things I noticed was the lack of threaded SMS/MMS and how much I miss it. Palm's implementation of threaded messaging is excellent, and I certainly hope that RIM brings it to BlackBerry OS 5.0 for my Bold.
    Thx for replying so its probably one of those things you don't miss until you have had it lol. Makes sense.

Obviously there are third party apps but I try to keep third party apps to minimum.

09-20-09 11:55 AM
    I would rather a feature that told us the time a text was sent and the time it was actually received so we could tell if there was lag and we could tell when it was sent if phone was off and we turn it on later in middle of night so we don't accidentally wake some one up not knowing how fresh the message was.

Verizon has a delivery acknowledgment, but I would be nice for an app cross carrier. The biggest thing I like about threaded is not all the messages being able to be read, but having a conversation vs. a box full of messages. I am running 5.0 and its great, but I switched because I love trying the beta os's not for threaded messaging...

09-20-09 11:58 AM
    Threaded SMS makes it much easier to have and follow a conversation. Since using BBM, i've come to dislike texting!

Besides being able to view an ongoing conversation clearly, i'll like being able to push enter to send the SMS.

IMO the colors in threaded SMS aren't eye candy; they help separate the convo so it's easily read. Unlike the all black, huge font and repeated header in SMS currently.

09-20-09 12:00 PM
    Verizon has a delivery acknowledgment, but I would be nice for an app cross carrier. The biggest thing I like about threaded is not all the messages being able to be read, but having a conversation vs. a box full of messages. I am running 5.0 and its great, but I switched because I love trying the beta os's not for threaded messaging...

Another good point I didn't think of. You won't see the benefit unless you have a ton of texts going with different peeps the same time. I could see that being a nice feature now.

09-20-09 12:01 PM
    Threaded SMS makes it much easier to have and follow a conversation. Since using BBM, i've come to dislike texting!

Besides being able to view an ongoing conversation clearly, i'll like being able to push enter to send the SMS.

IMO the colors in threaded SMS aren't eye candy; they help separate the convo so it's easily read. Unlike the all black, huge font and repeated header in SMS currently.

Exactly!

09-20-09 12:02 PM
    Coming from a slew of Treos, this is the one thing I hate about my Tour.

Threaded SMS not only lets you keep track of conversations, it helps you easily see what your replies to each message have been. Everything is within the thread instaed of having to navigate to the outbox to see replies.
    09-22-09 01:18 PM
    Threaded SMS is very very needed on a Blackberry. When I was trying out OS 5.0 on the Tour, I can't believe how nice threaded SMS is can't believe it took this long to get to Blackberrys.

Threaded SMS is a must have
    09-22-09 01:23 PM
    Threaded SMS not only lets you keep track of conversations, it helps you easily see what your replies to each message have been. Everything is within the thread instaed of having to navigate to the outbox to see replies.
    I feel like I'm going crazy... my Tour w/ standard OS already does this! When I open a text message that was in response to something I wrote, the message lists all the SMS exchanges between me and the other person in a chonological order...
    09-22-09 01:28 PM
    It really just creates a significantlt more organized SMS/MMS inboc. I can have a few hundres messages in my BBM at any time but only three contacts show which is awesome. Since I have it on BBM I really want it on SMS. It's not one of those things where if you don't have it, you don't miss it because we do have it. It's just in BBM. If your not a heavy BBM user, I would understand it not mattering that much.
    09-22-09 01:34 PM
    I had threaded SMS on my Omnia and while I generally liked it, it only displayed 12 messages at a time. So if I wanted to see older ones, I had to keep selecting previous. It got a little annoying. What I like about the BB is that you can set how many previous messages you can see at a time. If BB can get threaded SMS with more than 12 at a time, it'd be great. For now, I like the BB SMS system.
    09-22-09 01:49 PM
    I can't wait for threaded SMS. Since a majority of my texts are to/from one person (the gf loves to text), it would be great to only show her name once in the SMS inbox, so I can view the other people who have texted me and reply to them much easier.
    09-22-09 02:00 PM
    I had threaded SMS on my Omnia and while I generally liked it, it only displayed 12 messages at a time. So if I wanted to see older ones, I had to keep selecting previous. It got a little annoying. What I like about the BB is that you can set how many previous messages you can see at a time. If BB can get threaded SMS with more than 12 at a time, it'd be great. For now, I like the BB SMS system.
    5.0.0.230 sms is amazing. Even though I lost facebook and BBM 5.0 its well worth it IMO.
    I feel like I'm going crazy... my Tour w/ standard OS already does this! When I open a text message that was in response to something I wrote, the message lists all the SMS exchanges between me and the other person in a chonological order...
    I know what you're saying. Imagine it being like aim or instant messaging. For example, here's a shot of threaded sms in action on WinMo:

When you select a name of a person you text it opens it up like that^.

Now here's ours:

Not a huge difference but it puts all conversations of the same person under their name and it goes from oldest at top to newest on bottom.
    Last edited by Goodfella.; 09-22-09 at 02:04 PM.
    5.0.0.230 sms is amazing. Even though I lost facebook and BBM 5.0 its well worth it IMO.
    Can you see more than 12 messages at a time?
    09-22-09 02:03 PM
    I came to the BB world from a normal samsung gleam flip phone piece of garbage. I am actually having a hard time adjusting to the SMS system on my Tour since it was completely different, although not threaded. I love my BB but texting is annoying sometimes!

09-22-09 02:14 PM
    after having an iphone and seeing what threaded sms actually was, it is a very good feature, and yes of course i could live without it, i have a blackberry bold and im doing fine with that but it would be an added perk and make texting a lot easier and fun.
    09-22-09 02:18 PM
    Palm definitely pioneered the threaded sms and I loved it on my Treo but windows mobile, iphone, and so many other OS have it now its really a shame that the BB OS hasnt caught up yet. I would say its the main thing I dont like about Blackberry so much so im considering a new phone soon I text ALOT and i hate having to scroll thru all my messages to get to the one i need. The OS seems very outdated compared to whats out there now.
    09-22-09 02:19 PM
    Can you see more than 12 messages at a time?
    I just looked at that and I have one convo with 39 messages in it. I cleared all my other ones sorry.
    09-22-09 02:24 PM
    You'll have to excuse some of this to my inexperience with the BB os.
    My sms settings were set to only show a few prior messages, I bumped it up to 40.
    On another note, I also ended up trying "Empower SMS", this app feel quite a bit more like the Treo's threaded application. The bigeest issue that still remains for me is as DBone says, there is no organizaion of the texts by contact. I think I aam going to stick with Empower until os 5 comes out.
    09-23-09 10:42 PM
    I've survived this long without threaded SMS but now that I keep hearing about it more and more, I also subsequently want it more and more.

Let's hope that the official 5.0 OS is released soon!
    09-24-09 12:53 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD