Is it worth it? do you miss wifi? I like my 8900 a lot but the tour seems nice too. I don't have 3G with tmobile so that is one of the main reasons of why I want to switch.
    09-02-09 09:26 PM
    Honestly I miss my 8900 for stability. I know a lot on here will say the tour is perfect yada yada, but my phone has random reboots, and the gps works sometimes and other times not, I think 4.6.1 was way more stable than 4.7.1. Personally I think the 8900 was way more solid of a device.
    09-02-09 10:18 PM
    The OS was only stable on the Curve was because it was out longer and the newer OS's really made the curve 8900 great.

I don't see any reason why you would want the Tour over your Curve 8900 since you mention you don't need 3G. They have the same specs. Same memory, screen size and resolution, camera, processor etc... The curve 8900 is a bit smaller with a different keyboard layout.

I'd say keep the curve 8900 because if you don't need 3G, you at least have wifi.
    09-03-09 03:52 AM
    Peoples experiences vary don't they? I have had better luck with my Tour GPS than I did with the 8900. It locks on quicker and finds more birds.
    However it wasn't until I installed the latest beta OS that I felt they were equal. My Tour's battery life was unsatisfactory. I'm one of the few that like the 8900 keyboard a little better. I love the 3G, and with VZW I get signal everywhere, and this was spotty with TMO. I would say if you wait for the Tour with wifi and trackpad to come out you will be very happy. If you make the jump now you will still be pleased especially if VZW has your area saturated with towers like it does mine.

Oh and if you still run 4.6.1, wordwrap work on the tour
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 04:24 AM
    Or since you are on T-mobile... wait altogether so you can get the Onyx that will boast the new powerful processor.
    09-03-09 04:43 AM
    If i had a choice between wifi or 3G, it would be 3G no questions so Tour for me. Of course having both would be great although i dont see myself using wifi that much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 06:09 AM
    Using Tour on VZW for personal, and 8900 on T-Mobile for work...

I like the 8900's keyboard better (I always liked the 72xx, 87xx, 83xx keybaord better than 88xx and 9000 keyboard).

The 8900 gives me wifi which I really don't use, except for UMA/Hotspot calling to save me on "Anytime minutes" when I work from home. This is a BIG plus as it keeps my bill really low!! Even if the Tour had Wifi, VZW doesn't support UMA so on VZW I don't care about wifi.

And the 8900 is slightly smaller and feels lighter.

Other than that, they both "feel" and "work" about the same. I can't say that I could choose one over the other.

With what I have install on my devices, I don't have any stability problems with either. They are both quick. have great screens, good reception, etc.
    09-03-09 09:51 AM
    Yeah service wise where I am verizon runs rings around tmo. I was constantly getting sos on my 8900 and that def was frustrating on the tour there are very few spots where I have had bad coverage. The tradeoff is my curve 8900 battery would last all day, but the one on my tour def winds down a lot quicker. Overall they are pretty similar except for keyboard.
    09-03-09 12:31 PM
    I really want 3G but I'm not sure if I'm going to have good coverage in my area. I heard about this network extender from verizon but oh boy it's expensive, $250 =(
    09-03-09 07:27 PM
    I really want 3G but I'm not sure if I'm going to have good coverage in my area. I heard about this network extender from verizon but oh boy it's expensive, $250 =(

I have one of the Verizon network extenders because I couldn't even get reliable phone service in my part of town. The extender will not do anything to help data transmission, only phone. It was worth it to me to spend the money because I have now gotten rid of Vonage so the extender will pay for itself in less than a year.
    09-03-09 07:35 PM
    ...The tradeoff is my curve 8900 battery would last all day, but the one on my tour def winds down a lot quicker. Overall they are pretty similar except for keyboard.
    Yes, CDMA devices use more battery power than GSM. And if you're in an area where the device keeps switching between 1X and 1XEV or your device is "searching for signal" the battery runs down even quicker.

That being said, I get a 2.5 days use out of my Tour before it NEEDS charging, and about 3.5 days out of my 8900.

I do however try to put BOTH devices on the charger every night, in an attempt to start the next day with a fully charged battery... (ok, some nights i'm lazy, and they don't make it to their chargers)

This is a big change from a few years ago where the 7230, 7290, 8700 (all GSM) would last a week before I needed to put them on the charger.
    09-04-09 07:57 AM
    I say stay with the 8900 for a couple more months and wait for the Driftwood to release for T-Mobile..it has Wifi and 3G...PS the Tour has too many hardware and software issues right now
    09-04-09 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD