I'm on my third tour. The first Tour had a screen that turned neon green after about two minutes of use. My second (new) tour's trackball failed after about a month. Now, my third tour feels like its trackball is about to kick it. Putting any pressure on the trackball makes it refuse to move left or right. You have to barely feather it to get any movement.

I'm wanting to move to a different device, due to this being a work phone. The constant problems are extremely annoying and time consuming.

I'm hoping this one doesn't fail, but Its not looking good. Does anybody have any tips for getting verizon to let me switch? I don't have a problem with paying contract price if I have to, but I'm not paying retail for a new phone.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 03:11 PM
    I'm on my third tour. The first Tour had a screen that turned neon green after about two minutes of use. My second (new) tour's trackball failed after about a month. Now, my third tour feels like its trackball is about to kick it. Putting any pressure on the trackball makes it refuse to move left or right. You have to barely feather it to get any movement.

I'm wanting to move to a different device, due to this being a work phone. The constant problems are extremely annoying and time consuming.

I'm hoping this one doesn't fail, but Its not looking good. Does anybody have any tips for getting verizon to let me switch? I don't have a problem with paying contract price if I have to, but I'm not paying retail for a new phone.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your Tour.
    I have had mine since Aug 20 and no problems.
    11-19-09 03:49 PM
    I think if you will grin and bear it for one more exchange that then they will let you switch to a comparable device.

11-19-09 04:35 PM
    the trackballs do give problems when using in dirty environments
    11-19-09 04:46 PM
    I still can't believe how "hit and miss" the trackball issue is. Some people have absolutely no problems and others are on their 3/4/5th phone. Just doesn't seem like the quality control on the Tour, or any phone for that matter, would be this varied. Not to accuse the OP or anyone else, but it makes me wonder how usage varies between the problem phones and the no problem phones - just kind of thinking out loud here. I've got no problems with mine, granted I've only had it bout 2 weeks.
    11-19-09 04:53 PM
    I just received a green dot replacement and it's perfect. I suggest going to a vzw store, show them the problem and demand a replacement on the spot. If they don't have it in stock go to another vzw store. Make sure the new device is a "green dot" device and was manufactured on or after 8/19/09 I beleive. It says on the side of the box where the pin, imei etc...are.
    11-19-09 05:09 PM
    I got my Tour at the beginning of October and have had absolutely no issues. Granted, I'm a BB noob so I don't expect it to do a whole lot but still, I don't see what all the complaints are about.
    11-19-09 05:58 PM
    I also am having no problems with my tour....
    11-19-09 06:01 PM
    I just received a green dot replacement and it's perfect. I suggest going to a vzw store, show them the problem and demand a replacement on the spot. If they don't have it in stock go to another vzw store. Make sure the new device is a "green dot" device and was manufactured on or after 8/19/09 I beleive. It says on the side of the box where the pin, imei etc...are.
    LOL...they will all be green dots.
    11-19-09 06:09 PM
    I am on my 5th or 6th tour i lost count most of them were before the green dot, the keyboard on my first green dot failed the q w and e keys would get stuck and s top working, my current one is perfect no problems, my mistake was buying it the day it came out, consider yourself lucky once you have a good one or have one currently, it is a really great phone besides the hardware let down, but thats what you get when rim cuts corners for a profit and sends their manufacturing elswhere, my world edition curve and pearl never had any problems and this was before they started building them in mexico im running .230 and no problems at all

11-19-09 06:20 PM
    I work in a bank, so its not really a dirty environment issue. It stays in my pocket or on my desk the majority of the day.

This (third) Tour was a green dot refurb.

I was told I would have to go through one more refurb before I could switch to a new phone, but I was hoping to be able to avoid that.
    11-19-09 07:38 PM
    I also am having no problems with my tour....
    +1

11-19-09 07:39 PM
    I am on my 5th or 6th tour i lost count most of them were before the green dot, the keyboard on my first green dot failed the q w and e keys would get stuck and s top working, my current one is perfect no problems, my mistake was buying it the day it came out, consider yourself lucky once you have a good one or have one currently, it is a really great phone besides the hardware let down, but thats what you get when rim cuts corners for a profit and sends their manufacturing elswhere, my world edition curve and pearl never had any problems and this was before they started building them in mexico im running .230 and no problems at all

What does the green dot have to do with your hardware issues? Green dots are not hardware related and are simply for employee purposes to identify the phones that have the newest preloaded software. They are all green dots and are currently on the 2nd green dot (a larger green dot) the last I heard. Hardware issues are not color coded.
    11-19-09 07:42 PM
    The Tour's trackball design jams easier than other BB's.

I got mine stuck in 2 weeks in clean environments and not even putting it in my pocket... Not to mention the occasional cursor movement when clicking the trackball down.
    11-19-09 07:46 PM
    Dear Sir/Madam;
    Thank you for participating in Research In Motion's 9630 beta testing program. We value your patronage and want to express our gratitude for your valuable time. Please be aware that during this open beta test you may not have complete reliability from your device. We recommend that if you will need to rely on your device for important functions or communication in the event of an emergency, you revert back to the R.I.M. model 8830. We know you are free to use and patronize any smart phone manufacturer, and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued patronage. Look for exciting events in our 96xx product line in the future!

Sincerely,
    Jim and Mike
    XXX OOO
    11-19-09 07:53 PM
    What does the green dot have to do with your hardware issues? Green dots are not hardware related and are simply for employee purposes to identify the phones that have the newest preloaded software. They are all green dots and are currently on the 2nd green dot (a larger green dot) the last I heard. Hardware issues are not color coded.
    the green dot signified the fixed trackball problem with the tour......there was no software change between the first tour's that came out and the green dot tours that fixed the trackball issue a month or so later

11-19-09 10:09 PM
    the green dot signified the fixed trackball problem with the tour......there was no software change between the first tour's that came out and the green dot tours that fixed the trackball issue a month or so later

Go into a your local VZW and ask what the green dot means to the employee. It has nothing to do with hardware in any sense. It signifies only updated preloaded software, which includes preloaded applications.

I know it's not intentional, but you're spreading nonsense and misleading people.
    11-19-09 10:16 PM
    Go into a your local VZW and ask what the green dot means to the employee. It has nothing to do with hardware in any sense. It signifies only updated preloaded software, which includes preloaded applications.

I know it's not intentional, but you're spreading nonsense and misleading people.
    give me a break man 3 of my friends work for verizon they showed me the corporate email that states specifically that the green dot marked the fixed trackball issues on the tour so i suggest before you become confrontational f or absolutely no reason and talk out of your exit hole then get your information in order

11-19-09 10:35 PM
    give me a break man 3 of my friends work for verizon they showed me the corporate email that states specifically that the green dot marked the fixed trackball issues on the tour so i suggest before you become confrontational f or absolutely no reason and talk out of your exit hole then get your information in order

LoL...I'm confrontational because I said that your misleading people, but you tell me I'm talking "out of [my] exit hole"? Whatever you say there guy. Care to share with us this corporate email then? Anyone here can go into the VZW store and ask for themselves and can find out by themselves, it's not all that hard to find out really. If they want to listen to this green dot bull you're pushing, let them. I perfer to not to look like an i d i o t when talking to those I do business with...just saying...
    Last edited by Tour Up From the Floor Up; 11-19-09 at 10:52 PM.
    11-19-09 10:45 PM
    Seriously? I dont have the email it was shown to me in store by a manager, It stated that "It has come to our attention that there are known trackball issues regarding the Blackberry Tour 9630, new stock marked with a green dot accordingly resolve these issues" I don't remember the rest, seriously if you "do" work for Verizon like you state you would have known about this a long time ago, I saw this email before the green dots were even received in store and two you would know I don't have this email because said person would get in quite a lot of trouble if people found out he showed it to me.
    11-19-09 11:55 PM
    This is the reason I've been a member of this forum for so long but rarely post, people that don't know the difference between RAM and ROM from flash to open circuit yada yada, I have no reason to lie or mislead people on this forum, now exactly were is your proof in this? This is a total waste of everybody's time, I obviously am not going to go as far as to drive to his house get him to give me the exact email to prove you wrong if he even has it still, people are looking for help on these forums I was giving my 2 cents on my experience, not for people to flame like you
    11-19-09 11:59 PM
    and last but not least going into the Verizon store wont get you a straight answer because reps are not allowed to officially divulge that the tour had trackball issues hence why people always get 5 different answers so the answer they will give you is that the green dot is used to differrentiate between stock placed in the same cupboard
    11-20-09 12:04 AM
    Seriously? I dont have the email it was shown to me in store by a manager, It stated that "It has come to our attention that there are known trackball issues regarding the Blackberry Tour 9630, new stock marked with a green dot accordingly resolve these issues" I don't remember the rest, seriously if you "do" work for Verizon like you state you would have known about this a long time ago, I saw this email before the green dots were even received in store and two you would know I don't have this email because said person would get in quite a lot of trouble if people found out he showed it to me.
    You were the one that claimed to have seen an email on this. You can't produce anything to back up your claim. ANYONE can go into a VZW store and ask an employee what the green dot represents. It does NOT represent hardware issues is exactly what they will be told. Not all the employees in the store even know what the color dots represent.

Now where did you get the idea that I "stated" that I worked for Verizon? I never said as much. Slow down when reading if that will help you. I simply pointed out how easy it is for a person to verify what I stated is true or not, the next time they are in the store they can ask for themselves. How can we verify you're telling the truth or that you're talking through your "exit hole"?

This is the reason I've been a member of this forum for so long but rarely post, people that don't know the difference between RAM and ROM from flash to open circuit yada yada, I have no reason to lie or mislead people on this forum, now exactly were is your proof in this? This is a total waste of everybody's time, I obviously am not going to go as far as to drive to his house get him to give me the exact email to prove you wrong if he even has it still, people are looking for help on these forums I was giving my 2 cents on my experience, not for people to flame like you
    I have a feeling that you don't post much because you make statements that have no substance and when someone calls you on it you explode and immediately insult them like the above statement that people don't know the difference between this and that. A forum should be a place where one can discuss certain things and find reliable information, but even though some have good intentions they will sometimes spread misinformation without really researching what they are stating as facts. If I'm wrong then there are a lot of misguided employees working for Verizon that all have the same idea about the green dot which they say has nothing to do with hardware, hardware would include the trackball. We don't know your buddy and you can't produce this email you spoke of, but any one of us can walk into a VZW store and ask for ourselves.

Would that bother you if they did just that?
    Last edited by Tour Up From the Floor Up; 11-20-09 at 12:18 AM.
    11-20-09 12:16 AM
    Let me break this down for you because obviously you can't comprehend my first post.....A = Trackball issues which B = Blackberry fixes these issues and sends out new stock C = Green dot signifies new stock to differentiate from first stock with issues, B + C = all new stock have fixed trackballs, the green dot didnt signify the problem just the new stock, but the new stock are the fixed ones so they go hand in hand that make enough sense to you?
    11-20-09 12:25 AM
    You were the one that claimed to have seen an email on this. You can't produce anything to back up your claim. ANYONE can go into a VZW store and ask an employee what the green dot represents. It does NOT represent hardware issues is exactly what they will be told. Not all the employees in the store even know what the color dots represent.

Now where did you get the idea that I "stated" that I worked for Verizon? I never said as much. Slow down when reading if that will help you. I simply pointed out how easy it is for a person to verify what I stated is true or not, the next time they are in the store they can ask for themselves. How can we verify you're telling the truth or that you're talking through your "exit hole"?

I have a feeling that you don't post much because you make statements that have no substance and when someone calls you on it you explode and immediately insult them like the above statement that people don't know the difference between this and that. A forum should be a place where one can discuss certain things and find reliable information, but even though some have good intentions they will sometimes spread misinformation without really researching what they are stating as facts. If I'm wrong then there are a lot of misguided employees working for Verizon that all have the same idea about the green dot which they say has nothing to do with hardware, hardware would include the trackball. We don't know your buddy and you can't produce this email you spoke of, but any one of us can walk into a VZW store and ask for ourselves.

Would that bother you if they did just that?
    No what bothers me is somebody that is practically calling me a liar, didn't even carefully read my first post and flames me for absolutely no reason, and has absolutely no proof in what he's saying maybe some random Verizon rep telling him some random stuff and most of the people on this forum know that reps don't know very much a lot of the time, my proof is reading an email sent to all managers and blackberry techs from corporate
    11-20-09 12:36 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD