With all the problems that I'm reading and I'm already on my 2nd Tour and yet to have the same issues. I been to two Sprint stores in my area, and both stores are giving me a hard time about exchanging the phone and they are telling me that I'm only allowed one exchange. I know, it's stupid. Because many of you have exchanged phones more than three times.

I love the Tour, and I just cannot deal with the Trackball issues that I am having and the other various issues (slight muffle sound, slight screen ripple). The main issue that really bothers me is the Trackball not being responsive and when I scroll from left to right, not left to right, then down one.

Since I'm within my 30 day period. I was debating on returning the phone and just wait for the new 2nd generation Tours or revisions to come out.

What do you all think?
    08-09-09 11:29 PM
    I went back to my 8330 and haven't missed the Tour one bit.

Ultimately, it has to be your decision. You wouldn't want to have any regrets either way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 11:37 PM
    I can understand frustation with any new device, but honestly nothing is 100% out of the gate. If RIM came out and said nothing wrong, nothing to fix deal with it, then yes I would be ticked off as well. But it has been noted that they are aware of it and will push out an OS update to address it. Most likely its with Verizon for verification and that is the hold up. It would be great if RIM would got the Palm & Apple route and bypass the carrier with OS updates.
    08-10-09 07:19 AM
    It would be great if RIM would got the Palm & Apple route and bypass the carrier with OS updates.
    +1
    10chars
    08-10-09 07:37 AM
    With all the problems that I'm reading and I'm already on my 2nd Tour and yet to have the same issues. I been to two Sprint stores in my area, and both stores are giving me a hard time about exchanging the phone and they are telling me that I'm only allowed one exchange. I know, it's stupid. Because many of you have exchanged phones more than three times.

I love the Tour, and I just cannot deal with the Trackball issues that I am having and the other various issues (slight muffle sound, slight screen ripple). The main issue that really bothers me is the Trackball not being responsive and when I scroll from left to right, not left to right, then down one.

Since I'm within my 30 day period. I was debating on returning the phone and just wait for the new 2nd generation Tours or revisions to come out.

What do you all think?
    Well, if you are within your 30 day "no reason required" return period take advantage of it because on day 31 you are stuck with the phone for the duration of the contract. If they can't supply a working phone within 30 days it sounds like breach of contract by the supplier so they can't argue.

There is nothing stopping you getting another Tour (or any other phone) 5 minutes after your return, and starting another 30 days if you wish.
    08-10-09 07:43 AM
    I can understand frustation with any new device, but honestly nothing is 100% out of the gate. If RIM came out and said nothing wrong, nothing to fix deal with it, then yes I would be ticked off as well. But it has been noted that they are aware of it and will push out an OS update to address it. Most likely its with Verizon for verification and that is the hold up. It would be great if RIM would got the Palm & Apple route and bypass the carrier with OS updates.
    The certainly does not provide a note of confidence - that Verizon will check it out. After all, Verizon went with the release of this model with its problems. Clearly, someone did not beta test this phone besides the QC issues. I mean, just the loose battery door shows someone was not minding the store. They missed the fact that the OS did not track the movement of the trackball which leads to lag (if you believe it is a software issue). So, what, Verizon has 3 tech people checking the new OS before it is released - to repeat: real confidence builder.
    08-10-09 08:49 AM
    There are very few things that come out brand new that work correctly and have no issues. If you don't want to experience any of the release issues, then you shouldn't have gotten the phone when it first came out. Next time you go to buy a new release product wait a while before you buy it so then you don't have to deal with these issues.
    08-10-09 09:14 AM
    i too was frustrated with the answers (or lack thereof) i was getting from verizon with regards to my problems. telling me that these are "known issues" and that my only recourse is to accept the fact they sold me a half-baked phone doesn't build a lot of consumer confidence. nor does shrugging your shoulders and saying "uh huh" when i ask, "so, you're knowingly continuing to sell defective phones to people?" granted, i was being a **** for the sake of being a **** (i installed the tour hybrid OS which solved about 90% of my issues) but it just speaks to the nature of the industry. i still think the tour is a vast improvement over my curve and i'm not planning on downgrading. but the cell phone industry in general is just friggin' clown shoes IMO.
    08-10-09 09:57 AM
    Love how the "I hate Verizon" replies are starting to take over a thread where the OP was complaining about Sprint. lol!
    08-10-09 10:02 AM
    And yet, despite what you read at Crackberry, the overwhelming majority of Tour owners are quite satisfied.

Still, if you're not happy, you should return it. You can wait until a software update fixes some of the issues. Of course, the screen ripple is simply what happens when you put pressure on an LCD. The Tour keyboard is connected closely enough to the keyboard (perhaps too closely), that if you press hard enough on the send/end/menu/back keys, some ripple occurs. It's nothing compared to what my old Palm did. I can see it, but don't see it as a problem.

Or, you can wait for the next version, which will have its own teething pains when it is introduced. Complicated devices, especially modern smartphones, have issues. Are they tolerable or are they deal-breakers?

That's up to you.

For me, the Tour has exceeded my expectations. Despite having device password protection and encryption, along with RobLock and 18 other 3rd party apps, the Tour does everything far faster and better than my Curve did under the best conditions. It doesn't disappoint. It just works. The thought of going back to my Curve is unacceptable.
    08-10-09 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD