I searched for about an hour and couldn't find anything... I was wondering if someone could assist.

My device is a Verizion Tour... I just upgraded from the factory OS to 5.0.0.230 last night. Everything is working great however I noticed that text messages that come in show the persons phone number and not their name. I'm really not sure why as they are in my contact list.

Anyone have any suggestions...

Thank you,

Rick
    10-24-09 05:26 PM
    Go to MESSAGES > OPTIONS > GENERAL OPTIONS > Display Name to 'Yes'.
    10-24-09 06:41 PM
    Yeah... I read that post and it was already set to YES...

Any other ideas...?
    10-24-09 06:54 PM
    Check how you have that particular contact's number entered. Also check the Smart Dialing settings. Country Code to Unknown. National Number Length > 10. And 'No' for Use '1' for National Dialing.
    10-24-09 07:01 PM
    "Check how you have that particular contact's number entered"... I'm not sure what you mean..??

"Country Code to Unknown".... it was set to 1 and I changed it to Unknown as suggested.

"National Number Length > 10"... it was already set to 10.

"And 'No' for Use '1' for National Dialing"... My setting was set to YES, so I changed it to No... and Saved Settings...

Testing now... I'll let you know how I make out...
    10-24-09 07:57 PM
    Here is the update...
    if she sends me a MMS Text Msg it show her phone number instead of her contact name. Now with 5.0.0.230 OS it shows up in the "Balloon" fashion

if she sends me a picture it shows up as her contact name..

Any thoughts...? I have NO IDEA what this could be...

Thanks
    10-24-09 08:20 PM
    "Check how you have that particular contact's number entered"... I'm not sure what you mean..??
    Do you have a '1' preceding the area code?
    10-24-09 08:20 PM
    ...if she sends me a MMS Text Msg it show her phone number instead of her contact name. Now with 5.0.0.230 OS it shows up in the "Balloon" fashion ...if she sends me a picture it shows up as her contact name..
    Not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that if she sends you an MMS text, it displays her number; but if she sends you an MMS image, it displays her name? What is the 'balloon fashion'?
    10-24-09 08:25 PM
    First.. Yes, there was a 1 preceeding her area code... which I now removed...

Yes... when she sends me a text it displays as her phone number in the message list.... however, when she sends me a picture it shows up as her name as its written in my Contacts.

By the "Balloon fashioin" I speaking of how the text messages are "threaded" with the colored boxes or ballon's... (i.e. when she txt's the ballon is colored blue...and when I reply... my balloon is colored white)... does that make sense now...?

anyway.. I just removed the 1 preceeding her number... so I'm having her try it again...
    10-24-09 08:34 PM
    Just tested again.. and still the same issue...
    10-24-09 08:37 PM
    Yes... when she sends me a text it displays as her phone number in the message list.... however, when she sends me a picture it shows up as her name as its written in my Contacts.

By the "Balloon fashioin" I speaking of how the text messages are "threaded" with the colored boxes or ballon's...
    The text she's sending, is it MMS or SMS? And, now I get the Balloon thing. Thanks!
    10-24-09 08:45 PM
    My device is a Verizion Tour... I just upgraded from the factory OS to 5.0.0.230 last night. Everything is working great however I noticed that text messages that come in show the persons phone number and not their name. I'm really not sure why as they are in my contact list.

Anyone have any suggestions...
    I don't know how it is in 5.0, but in 4.7, you can toggle whether you see the person's name or address when you receive a text. I just scroll up to the person's name, click the trackball, and then select either "show address" or "show name". This might not affect you since you're on 5.0, but I figured I'd toss it out as a suggestion (maybe someone with 4.7 might find this post in a search anyway).
    10-24-09 11:13 PM
    ...in 4.7, you can toggle whether you see the person's name or address when you receive a text. I just scroll up to the person's name, click the trackball, and then select either "show address" or "show name".
    This is very true, but it's only momentary for that particular viewing session.
    10-24-09 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD