Hello all.

I've read the webernets for some documentation on tethering the blackberry to a computer. I've noticed there are two main approaches. The first approach is to use a pppd+some_other_software to communicate to the blackberry and use it as a modem, dialing into Verizon's(or other ISP)'s network. Unfortunately, you have to pay for this "tethering service".

The other approach however (As far as I know, only implemented by TetherBerry, which doesn't work on Linux), is to install software on the blackberry which will allow you to route CDMA(data plan) to USB, which would give you free access (via the data plan) from your computer to the world. This is what I would like to do, as it's cheaper and makes more sense (I already pay for the data plan). Is this approach possible in Ubuntu? Has anyone tried it?

PS: I've gotten tethering working with the first approach, and am taken to a gated-in-verizon-page. (using berry4all). What I want to do, however, is route my data plan(cdma network).

Thanks in advance,

-- Spec
    10-07-09 12:42 PM
    WINE?

10char
    10-07-09 12:49 PM
    Another linked question; I have heard it both ways but has anyone used Tetherberry on their VZ BB? I need to know if it works without the tethering charge; heard stories of people using it then receiving a tether charge on their next bill. Hopefully it is rumor because I have to go out of town next week and plan to use it the whole week.

Sorry if this seems like a hijack, I just feel that this is relavant to the origional post.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 01:00 PM
    I started using tetherberry last month and it works great.Just make sure you stay under the 5gb cap and you should be fine.
    10-09-09 01:02 PM
    I use tetherberry and haven't got a charge. Just don't be stupid and go downloading movies and whatnot while using it. As long as you stay under the 5GB they really won't care.
    10-09-09 04:54 PM
    Might be a stupid question but is there a way you can check to make sure you stay under the 5gb???
    10-09-09 07:29 PM
    Might be a stupid question but is there a way you can check to make sure you stay under the 5gb???
    You can check your data usage on Verizon's page any time.

Mike
    10-10-09 07:03 PM
    I use tetherberry and check online all the time. Works perfect for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD