First off sorry to post this in this section but it wouldn't let me post it in faq. Anyways I don't have a tethering plan but I read on here the only way to ACCURATLY check your network speed is to use it as a modem on your computer. I have the speed test app but I want to know my real upload and download speeds. Is there anyway I can do this on my computer and not be charged for tethering? Any help would be appreciated.
    P.s I have a tour if this would change something I would have to do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 10:17 PM
    Yea your right in saying that you have to tether with a blackberry to get true speeds.

Unfortunately you'll have to have a tethering plan to transfer any data with VZ.
    08-04-09 11:01 PM
    Yea your right in saying that you have to tether with a blackberry to get true speeds.

Unfortunately you'll have to have a tethering plan to transfer any data with VZ.
    That's what I was hoping not to hear I'm not paying that 15 a month because I have no need for that plan I just want to test my phones speed

08-05-09 07:57 AM
    try tetherberry.com

Using that software I got:

632Kb/s down
    122Kb/s up
    295ms latency
    Last edited by novaman64; 08-05-09 at 09:31 AM.
    08-05-09 09:21 AM
    try tetherberry.com

632Kb/s down
    122Kb/s up
    295ms latency
    And tether berry cost 50 bucks... I don't think so like I said I don't need to tether I just want to find out my speeds

08-05-09 12:29 PM
    Theres a free trial on their site good for 7 days.
    08-05-09 12:31 PM
    Isn't there a free trial?

Also, you can try installing the xtremelabs speedtest. It seems pretty accurate.

08-05-09 12:32 PM
    try tetherberry.com

632Kb/s down
    122Kb/s up
    295ms latency
    And tether berry cost 50 bucks... I don't think so like I said I don't need to tether I just want to find out my speeds

08-05-09 12:45 PM
    My bad didn't mean to repost that but this free trial want cost me anything even through verizon

08-05-09 12:46 PM
    Correct, well assuming you meant even though you dont have a verizon data pack, sort didnt finish that sentence.
    08-05-09 12:50 PM
    I have a data plan just not the tethering plan will I be charged

08-05-09 01:15 PM
    Correct, thats the point of the software. So you dont have to have a thether plan yet u can tether and not get charged.

What would be the point of buying software that does the same thing as Verizon Access Manager
    08-05-09 01:20 PM
    I just tested my speed.... 900 kb/s...WITH 3 BARS IN 1X ( I live way out in the country) the fastest iv got it with full service is 690 using the speed test app I have a question though if I buy tether berry will it only work on one computer or will I be able to download it on multiple computers thanks for all the help

08-05-09 01:36 PM
    is that 900 supposed to be 90? Did you disconnect the computer from all other internet connections before you did the speed test? I find it pretty hard to believe that you were downloading at almost 1mbit off a 1x signal.... Shoot that almost seems a little far fetched on a rev a with full signal....
    08-05-09 01:44 PM
    Nope it was 896 k and at one point it did tip 1 meg. Acording to the gauge on the site and that's with my pcs connection off

08-05-09 02:08 PM
    Thats pretty impressive, with a data card I have only ever gotten 1 mg and that was on a full signal evdo rev a network.
    08-05-09 02:09 PM
    Ik do you know if I was to download tetherberry on the computer I did would I be able to download it on another computer as well or would I have to but it again to do so the reason I ask is because I want to download it on my other computer and take it to town and see the speed in full service

08-05-09 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD