Not really Tour specific but I use the Tour so...

I tether my Tour for my internet usage at home. I was tired of paying for a home phone justy so I could have internet so I decided to just tether.

My question is, is there a way to set up a home network so that I can have internet access on a laptop and a desktop at the same time just using my Tour? Both computers wouldn't be used at the same time, it is just a hassle to have to disconnect on one computer to connect on the other one to print something out or something.

Any ideas?

TIA
    09-17-09 02:42 PM
    dont think theres a way to do that short of disconnecting a reconnecting, ****ty as it seems.
    09-17-09 03:16 PM
    If i was to try and do it, and if it was going to work..

Insert another (2nd, USB) Network Card on the laptop.

Then use windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share the (Connected, DUN) connection over to the New/USB/Network Card.

(right click active connection & share over to new usb/nic)

From there you run a network cord from the new usb/card to a hub/switch then out to however many machines you want from there.

Kinda have to know some networking, might bring a friend over. It's possible it won't work.. i've not shared a DUN connection in a while.

I'm sure your provider probly wouldn't approve.. although i duno if i'd worry too much about it.. just don't use too much bandwidth.
    09-17-09 03:43 PM
    Not really Tour specific but I use the Tour so...

I tether my Tour for my internet usage at home. I was tired of paying for a home phone just so I could have internet so I decided to just tether.

My question is, is there a way to set up a home network so that I can have internet access on a laptop and a desktop at the same time just using my Tour? Both computers wouldn't be used at the same time, it is just a hassle to have to disconnect on one computer to connect on the other one to print something out or something.

Any ideas?

TIA
    I am not sure you're carrier as I am on my tour but if you are verizon you may want to look into their myfi (I believe that's the name). It connects as a cell phone and I believe is 30$ a month and allows up to 5 connections at their EVDO Rev A speeds via a WiFi signal.

I haven't personally used it but I have heard very good things about it and it would free up your blackberry for calls.

Just a thought, hope this was at least minorly helpful.

Best of luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 04:15 PM
    He's on Verizon. No MiFi.

Although on that topic.. 5 connections.. where/how does the 5GB bandwidth cap come in?
    09-17-09 04:20 PM
    He's on Verizon. No MiFi.

Although on that topic.. 5 connections.. where/how does the 5GB bandwidth cap come in?
    Actually, Verizon was the first carrier to release MiFi....it's been out for a bit now..

Enter your location
    09-17-09 06:55 PM
    Oh i didn't know that. So.. what is the monthly bw cap w/those ?
    09-17-09 09:44 PM
    Oh i didn't know that. So.. what is the monthly bw cap w/those ?
    I honestly do not know any of the details of the device as I have WiFi in my house and when I am out i tether my blackberry to my one laptop which is perfect for me.

But I have a friend who takes frequent road trips and actually had the device installed in his car so his family has internet wherever they go. He claims that it works with incredible speed.

Not sure about usage limits, I suppose as a primary internet source you could run into some trouble but then again if he has been doing it with his blackberry he should be seeing similar if not higher data limits. I would assume - do not hold me to that statement.
    09-17-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD