I installed the new OS 5.0.0.591 by downloading the update directly to my phone. The phone worked fine for about 20 hours. I was checking my email yesterday morning and at the very instant I received a text message my phone seemingly shutdown. I happened to be standing in very bright sunlight at the time that this happened, so I noticed that it was just the back lighting that went out. If you have the error message that other threads have mentioned, with the "technical issue", I could see written in the same font an error message at the top left of the screen. I didn't have a chance to read the message, it was about two lines long.

I went a day without the phone and read posts by others on this site that they either received a refurbished phone from verizon wireless, usually after wasting time convincing them of the error, or having them attempt to patch the phone themselves.

I just didn't have the patience to deal with verizon, having had a trackball issue on the first version of this phone in July 2009, which was replaced in August 2009. I wasn't happy to receive the refurbished phone in exchange for what was a brand new phone.

If you go directly to Research In Motion's website you can download the 9630's software; you don't have to use Verizon's link. I don't know if this makes a difference, but for whatever reason I was able to downgrade the OS to version 4.7.1.61. At least I was able to get the phone running again, and without having to deal with returning the phone in exchange for a refurbished one from Verizon (assuming I could convince them to do so).

If you just don't have the time to deal with waiting for a replacement phone to arrive, or you don't want to go to the vzw store, I just wanted to post, as stated by another member, you can downgrade and it will work again.
    04-02-10 05:45 PM
    Thanks. i got a replacement phone from VZW because of that error. If it happens again i will take your suggestion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 05:54 PM
    This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. However I couldnt get my Tour to respond or connect with my computer to downgrade. So I had no choice but to get a replacement.
    04-02-10 06:20 PM
    This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. However I couldnt get my Tour to respond or connect with my computer to downgrade. So I had no choice but to get a replacement.

04-02-10 06:29 PM
    What I did was another suggestion I read on another thread. The desktop software used to backup data is what you use, but don't let it connect using the device settings you may already have---and don't worry if it doesn't show that it is connected.

By the way I'm traveling and won't be home until Sunday, so this was really the wrong time for this. I used a laptop running Vista that didn't have any RIM software on it. Maybe that was lucky since I would have tried to sync with the data I have at home.

I'm thinking set up a new vista/xp user and run under that profile. Then don't try and register the phone. As I read on another thread, take out the battery and connect the cable. Then go to upgrade software option. You can downgrade from this option as well. I initially tried to redo the new OS, but it failed right away.

Initially it may deny that it has access to the software downgrade, but you can tell it to proceed. I'm not sure how, but it started the download from RIM directly. It did all this without asking for device PIN.

Set under advanced options to backup data. Whether or not this helped I also don't know.

I was able to keep all the photos I took on my trip and couldn't backup. Lastly, reissue the service books from email settings.

04-02-10 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD