Hello
    I am having trouble with the syncing of my contact between my blackberry tour 9630 and google contacts. I keep ending up with duplicate contacts. Then I merge them (on google) and resync (from phone) and they duplicate again. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Can I only maintain contacts on the phone and then sync to Google? I seem to have similar but not as bad issues with the calendar as well. Perhaps there is another setting that I have missed.

thanks
    12-11-09 08:17 AM
    I noticed this too when I first set it up. I think I just went through and deleted the duplicates and then it synced up eventually. Make sure you downloaded the sync app as well.
    12-11-09 01:34 PM
    The duplicate contacts are usually causeed by mutliple syncing apps or methods.

The most common combo is.

Running Google Sync App and Desktop Manager Sync.

or

Running Google Sycn App and native BB IS 5.0 Google Contact Sync.

or

All of above.

You should only use one syncing method/apps. My preference is the actual Google Sync app at m.google.com
    12-11-09 02:01 PM
    Okay, I think I do sync from multiple places within my phone. Is the Google Sync app at m.google.com run from my phone like the others? Can you tell me how to access it? I think I have multiple google syncs that I can run but didn't realize that they were "different".
    12-12-09 09:07 AM
    Okay, I think I do sync from multiple places within my phone. Is the Google Sync app at m.google.com run from my phone like the others? Can you tell me how to access it? I think I have multiple google syncs that I can run but didn't realize that they were "different".
    Yes, Google BB Sync App is the one from m.google. com. If you have it install, it should in the application list/screen. It's the white circle icon with blue shading/strikes. (This syncs both contacts and calendar)

Now if you are running BB OS 5.0 you could be running BB Google Sync on BB system. You check that at BlackBerry Internet Service from your computer. (This sync contacts only)

Between, use the genuine Google BB Sync App.

To fix the problem, you have disable and/or sign out of the App. This is delink everything from Gmail. Check/correct your Gmail data to make sure everything is correct. The Gmail data should be your master data. Make a backup of the Gmail contact / calendar by using the export to file features.

Next is to clean house. If any, delete all calendar and contacts off your BB.

Make sure BB Contact Sync is disable.

Sign back in to Google Sync App.
    12-12-09 10:25 AM

To fix the problem, you have disable and/or sign out of the App. This is delink everything from Gmail. Check/correct your Gmail data to make sure everything is correct. The Gmail data should be your master data. Make a backup of the Gmail contact / calendar by using the export to file features.
    Can I set up this Google calendar/sync without having a Gmail email address? Or do I have to have Gmail in order to make the calendar sync with my phone?
    I currently don't have a Gmail address and I personally don't need one.

And how do I delete all the entries off my phone? Is there a way to delete them all at once or do i have to delete them one at a time?
    12-12-09 02:30 PM
    Yeah you gotta have a gmail account.
    12-12-09 03:10 PM
    Can I set up this Google calendar/sync without having a Gmail email address? Or do I have to have Gmail in order to make the calendar sync with my phone?
    I currently don't have a Gmail address and I personally don't need one.

And how do I delete all the entries off my phone? Is there a way to delete them all at once or do i have to delete them one at a time?
    You do need a Gmail Account to sync your Gmail data. You can sign up for a Gmail account and don't use the email feature and store your calendar and contacts in the Gmail account. What's the point thou if you don't want use Gmail and have information at separate locations. Another way of thinking about Gmail is think of it as an email client, like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. You can forward your existing email to Gmail and just use Gmail do the email client thing for you. You are still using your existing email address.

Depends on your OS, there is a wipe feature, but it might wipe more than you want. Just delete them manually.
    12-12-09 03:27 PM
    This all makes sense to me but I cannot get it to work. Perhaps its because I have Verizon and they are not letting me do something? I tried going to the Blackberry Internet Service, I do have a Blackberry account or so I thought, but it tells me I cannot do it via html and must go through my phone? I am about ready to throw this BB out the window as the main reason I got it was so that I could maintain my calendar and contacts on the phone and online.
    12-15-09 09:06 AM
    Okay, so I deleted all of the contacts from the BB. I signed out of gmail and signed back in and did the sync. It synced, but I have no idea who or what is synced with because the contacts now in my BB looked different then that in my gmail account. IS there something else I am missing? Going crazy
    12-15-09 09:28 AM
    Okay, so I deleted all of the contacts from the BB. I signed out of gmail and signed back in and did the sync. It synced, but I have no idea who or what is synced with because the contacts now in my BB looked different then that in my gmail account. IS there something else I am missing? Going crazy
    What do you mean they look different? You are saying John Smith contact info is different on BB than in your Gmail account?

Do you have Facebook App installed?
    12-15-09 09:59 AM
    Hope it's all right to borrow this thread -- I see a lot of sync experts here.

Would you folks mind having a look at my question here?
    12-15-09 10:22 AM
    ive had similar issues with the calander...

i had to clear the database on the phone and re sync.

however remember that it will only sync with info made that day and later - thus past dates etc will not sync. you have to uninstall google sync, battery pull, then reinstall and re-sync to get past dates synced.
    12-15-09 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD