So I took my Tour back to Verizon to address the Trackball and battery cover issues that had developed (For some reason they seemed to get worse over the past couple of weeks). VZW gave me a new one and it has NO issues whatsoever. Trackball works great and the battery door doesnt budge. If it makes a difference the new one is a "Canada 1" Phone, and my prior phone was a "Mexico 5" for people tracking this kind of stuff. The Canadian phone definitely seems to be better built, perhaps better Quality Control up north?
    07-31-09 12:44 PM
    Cool. Yeah I don't think it really matters where you get it. Both Canada 1 and Mexico 5 had the same results in a poll. I have a Mexico 5 and so far it's been awesome no issues yet. The door is barely lose nothing I'd complain over.
    07-31-09 12:55 PM
    How can you tell where your phone was made?
    07-31-09 01:16 PM
    How can you tell where your phone was made?
    The sticker on the outside of the box with all the information on it
    07-31-09 01:21 PM
    Cool i will look for that
    07-31-09 02:31 PM
    I had all the mentioned problems, muffed calls, loose battery door, bouncing signals (even with just 1xEV) and bad trackball. I got a replacement at VZW store and everything except the battery door is fixed.

The funny thing is if you go to any VZW store, the battery doors of their demo Tours have silver tape on it. That's just sad
    07-31-09 04:24 PM
    You know what's funny? I don't think it matters where your phone is built. At first I did. Now I'm thinking it's something other than that. Here is why I say that....

I'm on my third Tour. The first one.. which I don't know where it was from because at the time, it was the first day of launch, and people were not tracking that sort of thing... well anyway, it had call quality issues.. Very muffled. Battery door was super loose, but I don't care about that. The battery life was also very bad. 6hours, and I had a completely dead battery with no 3rd party apps, GPS turned off, and 1xEV radio on only. Exchanged it for another the next day.

This one was worse. As soon as I got to the car from the store, I knew instantly this one had issues. I even kept the screen and top bezel plastic peel protectors on it. It was 9pm, and the store was closed... but thought I would try it anyway... By this time I was reading forums, and kinda knew to look at where it was built. It was a Canada 1. Kept it for a week and a half cause I had no time to exchange it. EVERYTHING was wrong with it. Gone was bad call quality, and battery life went from 6 hours to about 12. So in those to aspects it was better. But it's main problem was A SEVERE Lag on the trackball. The lag was only in menus, and txt. When in the web browser, the cursor moved freely. The device Locked up ALL the time, had to do about 4 batt pulls a day, batt pulls took about 12 min, BBM never worked, dropped calls, I can go on and on. So that was a Canada 1, and I began to really HATE the phone. Many times I wanted to chuck it so bad.

Then I get this absolutely wonderful Mexico 5 a few days ago. OMFG!!! This thing is PERFECT.. I don't even want to lose it. I cherish this baby, and I will take great care of it, cause I know I might not get one like this ever again.

It's So freaking SAD that RIM's quality control had gone down the sh*tter. But anyway, I'm liking my MEXICO 5!! and the keyboard is noticably different than the Canada.. it's tighter... Screen is easier to read with polarized sun glasses, the auto dim, and auto bright in sun actually works!! Last phone it was so freaking hard to read in the sun. BBM works flawlessly, even better than my Curve, it's uber fast, I have not had to do a batt pull since I installed my apps... 50 some hours ago. This thing is awesome, but I do have to agree, there are lemons out there, and I'm sorry to those who get them. RIM needs their CQ division fired. There is just not consistency, and for electronics, that's not good.
    07-31-09 04:53 PM
    What happens if you sent your sticker from the side of the box to get a rebate? Where would i found out where my phone was made? is it under the battery? (my phone takes like 5 minutes to boot up, I try not to take the battery out to much, ha ha)
    07-31-09 04:58 PM
    Ordered mine with my company and got it about 3 days ago. Have had the curve as well as an 8830 sprint. All I can say is I have the trackball issue.

Called Verizon and they said to head down to the nearest store to get a new one. So, just resting from work and I'll be headed out to get my new Tour. Wish me luck, I hate exchanges and was going to live with it, but copying addresses from my emails was just a pain to select the addresses.

Hope my New Tour doesn't have any of the defects.
    07-31-09 05:06 PM
    I have a Mexico 5 (in spite of the fact that I got my phone and live in Canada). Other than a minor trackball issue that was resolved by increasing horizontal tracking to 90 I've had no issues. It's a very well constructed, very well finished phone.
    07-31-09 05:20 PM
    Mexico 5 here and I wouldn't trade this phone for ANYHING. No trackball issues, slight OS lag that happens RARELY and that I'm sure will improve with an update, and a very slightly loose battery door, but NOTHING compared to the Pearl I used to have - THAT was a loose battery door.

I agree with some of the other posts - I don't think it matters where the phone came from, just a certain (relatively small, compared to the Storm debacle) precentage that have issues.

Love this phone!!
    07-31-09 05:32 PM
    i just got my second tour as well, the first one when using bluetooth and dialing a number would literally turn the screen blue and freeze (needing a battery pull) which is hard to do sometimes while driving, the second issue which was known was the media player constantly needing to be restarted, then the rim..bb..phone..exception message (still no one at verizon knew what that means) other than i was not able to make a call without a reboot, lastly the known battery door.

the second tour is soo much better though the door is a hair loose i can live with that and it seems everything else mentioned above has not happened (thumbs crossed)
    07-31-09 05:41 PM
    I just got my third tour from Mexico 5 and this one has no issues at all... just the battery cover moves a little tiny bit... lol
    07-31-09 07:01 PM
    Just got back from Verizon with my 2nd Tour. So far so good although its only been 5 mins of playing. Time to activate it with BES. I still do see the fluctuating drop in signals, but that maybe just software issues and future OS upgrade should fix that. The new one is made in Mexico 5 still just like my first Tour.
    07-31-09 07:50 PM
    What happens if you sent your sticker from the side of the box to get a rebate? Where would i found out where my phone was made? is it under the battery? (my phone takes like 5 minutes to boot up, I try not to take the battery out to much, ha ha)
    yes it is under the battery. on the bottom right of the sticker.
    07-31-09 08:04 PM
    So I took my Tour back to Verizon to address the Trackball and battery cover issues that had developed (For some reason they seemed to get worse over the past couple of weeks). VZW gave me a new one and it has NO issues whatsoever. Trackball works great and the battery door doesnt budge. If it makes a difference the new one is a "Canada 1" Phone, and my prior phone was a "Mexico 5" for people tracking this kind of stuff. The Canadian phone definitely seems to be better built, perhaps better Quality Control up north?
    take the battery cover off and look at the numbers to the left of the battery in little white letters and numbers...does it say -004 or -004A? Mexico canada thing don't matter, what matters is -004 or-004A next to battery. 004A is newest revised batch.
    07-31-09 09:03 PM
    I'm with Sprint and I want to swap out my tour because it gets hot and the battery seems awful, but I am nervous to do so and end up with a loose battery loose keys, bad trackball, messed up housing...ugh! The possibilites are endless. It wouldnt' be a big deal if it weren't for the $35 restocking fee that Sprint now charges to do an exchange. WTH is that all about?? What do you guys think?? is it worth a try...please help!
    07-31-09 09:11 PM
    I have a Mexico 5 (in spite of the fact that I got my phone and live in Canada). Other than a minor trackball issue that was resolved by increasing horizontal tracking to 90 I've had no issues. It's a very well constructed, very well finished phone.
    Trust me, swap the phone. I tried the same thing but this is a hardware issue that my VZW tech admitted somewhat sheepishly.
    07-31-09 09:14 PM
    take the battery cover off and look at the numbers to the left of the battery in little white letters and numbers...does it say -004 or -004A? Mexico canada thing don't matter, what matters is -004 or-004A next to battery. 004A is newest revised batch.
    Mine is a revision A. Kind of funny to see revisions so soon, but I am glad that they have seemingly addressed the problem.
    07-31-09 09:17 PM
    I'm with Sprint and I want to swap out my tour because it gets hot and the battery seems awful, but I am nervous to do so and end up with a loose battery loose keys, bad trackball, messed up housing...ugh! The possibilites are endless. It wouldnt' be a big deal if it weren't for the $35 restocking fee that Sprint now charges to do an exchange. WTH is that all about?? What do you guys think?? is it worth a try...please help!
    I just swapped out mine w/o $35 fee. Go to a upscale neighborhood Sprint Store and be sure to wear a low cleavage shirt when you go. Then you smile alot and tell them that you're within your 30 days and you need to swap it for another BRAND NEW one.
    07-31-09 09:19 PM
    Mine is a revision A. Kind of funny to see revisions so soon, but I am glad that they have seemingly addressed the problem.
    ohhh ya lucky bast*rd! see, i don't think sprint store's been moving tours like the vzw stores. I was hoping to get the 004A but got 004.....
    07-31-09 09:21 PM
    ohhh ya lucky bast*rd! see, i don't think sprint store's been moving tours like the vzw stores. I was hoping to get the 004A but got 004.....
    Considering the amount of customers Sprint hemorrhaged last quarter it is not a surprise that they arent moving phones. Not dissing Sprint, I had them for years with basically no issues. Just stating the facts from their own reports.
    07-31-09 09:44 PM
    Considering the amount of customers Sprint hemorrhaged last quarter it is not a surprise that they arent moving phones. Not dissing Sprint, I had them for years with basically no issues. Just stating the facts from their own reports.
    yeah no, i don't care...im not one of those who cares if you like sprint or vzw. I prefer vzw but have sprint solely because $$$
    07-31-09 09:52 PM
    I have an 004A (got it on the second day the Tour was released though) and I have horizontal trackball issues. At first, it worked flawlessly and then after about a week it started having problems. I change sensitivity to 90/90 and it works better but I still need to "feather" (touch lightly) the trackball to get it scrolling properly horizontally.

I'm thinknig about a warranty swap but I'll wait until they really fix the problem before swapping. I'm also a little curious if an OS upgrade will solve the issue because vertical scrolling is perfect.
    Last edited by mallinj; 07-31-09 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added second paragraph
    07-31-09 10:16 PM
    I have an 004A (got it on the second day the Tour was released though) and I have horizontal trackball issues. At first, it worked flawlessly and then after about a week it started having problems. I change sensitivity to 90/90 and it works better but I still need to "feather" (touch lightly) the trackball to get it scrolling properly horizontally.

I'm thinknig about a warranty swap but I'll wait until they really fix the problem before swapping. I'm also a little curious if an OS upgrade will solve the issue because vertical scrolling is perfect.
    I'd have to say that's hardware defect. 004A and ball is messed up? any other issues? if its just trackball, you might want to try the fix, if everything else is fine.
    07-31-09 10:20 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD