Hello,

I have had my Tour for about 8 months and really havent had battery life issues. I could work a 16 hour shift, may a few phone calls, emails, txt and the phone would still be at least 1/2 charged at the end of the day.
    Now my phone suddenly is now critically low after 8 hours with minimal use. I had installed the YouTube app, which never worked, and uninstalled that. I also had a recently BlackBerry software update that updated messenger, and did a PRL update through my carrier. Other than that, no changes.
    I thought it was the battery, just going bad, so I bought a new one. No change with the new battery. I have done lots of battery pulls and soft resets. I have the same configuration and apps as before. My Bluetooth has always been on. I run programs in the background like Epocrates, Google Voice, Line 2, etc. and there have been no changes there.

I have started deleting apps one-by-one that run in the background, no success yet. I have also read to consider re-imaging my phone.

Any tips?
    07-25-10 07:28 AM
    BBMessenger is always on and using battery. If you had just installed it for the first time, that would be one reason why your battery life would change. However, if you were using it previously and only upgraded to a newer version, that's probably not the explanation, or at least not the sole reason.

The PRL update may have changed the tower you are hitting during the day. If the new tower is requiring your phone to operate at a higher transmit power level than did the previous tower, that would certainly deplete your battery more rapidly.

And of course, BBM always being on and accessing the tower exacerbates a transmit power problem.

Try another PRL update and see if that improves the situation. I don't know any way to go back to a previous PRL.

Finally, the problem could simply be a local tower problem. If the tower you normally hit is having a problem, your phone may be having to go to higher transmit power to reach a more distant tower. Call Customer Service and report the problem. Get a trouble ticket number. If other people are calling from the same area, a technician will be dispatched to check the tower. If you are the only person calling, it may take several days of calls to get a tech out. That's why you need to get a Trouble Ticket number and refer to it each time you call, so you can get the problem escalated.
    07-25-10 11:00 AM
    Which OS version are you using? There are a few out there that have a tendency to sap 20 or so percent after a battery pull/reset.
    07-25-10 12:47 PM
    Jeff,

Yes, I have already had BB Messenger installed, it was just a software update via BB Desktop.

I have re-done the PRL update several times. My carrier is not very progressive and they only offered to send the phone in for service (6-8 weeks).

I think I may have discovered the problem. Epocrates runs in the background and downloads updates on its own at night. When I uninstalled that I was able to have the phone off the charger for 17 hours and the battery status was orange when I plugged it in at 1 AM.
    07-26-10 09:58 AM
    I am running 4.7.1.61
    07-26-10 09:59 AM
    i'd recommend updating to os 5. preferably .591 or something other than the .732 as that is not to sparing on battery life
    07-27-10 03:43 AM
    My carrier is not that progressive, when I plug in my phone and do a BB Desktop Manager sync there are no further updates available. I tried to update an OS ahead of my carrier with my last phone and had problems.
    07-27-10 11:38 AM
    I never had a problem with my battery until I updated to .732. It has been draining my battery within 4 hours of a charge. Also, i find that when i am on the phone even a few min. it drains drastically. I even just got a new tour due to a warranty issue and that did nothing for my battery life. Bought backup batterys and they drain just as fast. updated the roaming capabilities as well with no luck. I guess i should just downgrade? thoughts?
    07-27-10 09:20 PM
    First post here.
    I'm new to the bb world with my Verizon 9650.
    Trying to learn all the in's/out's of this phone.
    So far so good but what are all these .732 etc #'s all mean?
    Mine came with OS6 built in it (just got it 2 1/2 weeks ago).
    Thanx to CB I finally figured out how to find my PRL #.
    Any info would be great.

Thanx,
    07-02-11 02:04 PM
    First post here.
    I'm new to the bb world with my Verizon 9650.
    Trying to learn all the in's/out's of this phone.
    So far so good but what are all these .732 etc #'s all mean?
    Mine came with OS6 built in it (just got it 2 1/2 weeks ago).
    Thanx to CB I finally figured out how to find my PRL #.
    Any info would be great.

Thanx,
    Well first you're in the 9630 section which is different from the 9650 but .732 etc are different blackberry operating system versions. Most all of the phones have different versions, some good, some bad. You can install any version for your particular phone model and has to be for model, if you're interested in that there is plenty on it in the help section at the top of forum.

I'm not sure how to find your PRL but a search will probably help you.

Welcome and check out the help section and search, if you can't find an answer there just start a new thread and someone will help along with some snide remarks and trolls hanging around but just ignore them.
    07-02-11 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD