1) Crappy back light / hard to light up characters on keys.. (8900 = v hard to use in low light.. who on earth thought dark red on black was a good idea? ) Darth Vader styling waddeva... release an 'uncool' silver model with those white/silver keys my old 8300 had - and I will BUY IT!

2) Tinny sound (lack of bass) and mono audio of 8900 - give us stereo!

3) Niagra 9630 would be an ideal launch opportunity for RIM to release a browser that isn't total balz. It's a drag is to always have to use Opera Mini...

4) Get the battery life right from the start?

5) OTA OS upgrades? OK carriers.. LETS GIVE IT A WHIRL? Wadda ya say?

How do you think they could improve on 8900?

Chime in!

Rock on BB comrades..!
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 03-09-09 at 05:39 PM.
    03-09-09 05:31 PM
    Use same the same trackball setup as 8300.
    03-09-09 06:11 PM
    I love #3. That would be great.
    03-09-09 06:13 PM
    8900 is a sweet device. Virtually all issues I had with it were T-mobile related (i.e. poor reception + choppy UMA + under-informed technical staff). Some of the problem with the Curve is that it is a consumer level devise I believe that is made from cheaper material and in a smaller footprint (hence the tin can speaker). I am so happy to see the Niagara is smaller like the curve but at the same time worry about it won't be as sturdy as my trusty 8830. Having said that; I am so going to get the Niagara on the release day LOL
    03-09-09 09:03 PM
    The Niagara DOES have a better browser, according to Crucial. So we can all celebrate! But, I'll probably end up using Opera Mini anyways
    03-09-09 10:51 PM
    The Niagara DOES have a better browser, according to Crucial. So we can all celebrate! But, I'll probably end up using Opera Mini anyways
    or Skyfire.
    03-23-09 11:01 PM
    I actually LIKE the 8900 browser it is a LOT better than the Bold's.
    03-23-09 11:52 PM
    I actually LIKE the 8900 browser it is a LOT better than the Bold's.
    In what ways? I like to know.
    03-24-09 12:38 PM
    In what ways? I like to know.
    OK first of all I'll tell you that I live in an area where there is no 3G from AT&T so that has no bearing on anything. Also I am running the very current OS .247 on my Bold but the launch .114 on the Curve. All that being said:

* The pages load faster in the Curve
    * The scrolling across the pages is faster and more uniform (read: less jerly) on the Curve -- this suprised me because the Curve has a more recessed trackball than the Bold.
    * Ditto on the zooming in and out. When you move to a new place on the page it is usually already partly rendered already, and finishes up faster.
    03-24-09 08:59 PM
    Why are people knocking the curve? minus the 3G the bold has nothing on the curve? The Niagra doesn't seem too much to me, its just a hybrid device to me. Little bit of a bold, little bit of an 8900
    03-26-09 11:07 PM
    Why are people knocking the curve? minus the 3G the bold has nothing on the curve? The Niagra doesn't seem too much to me, its just a hybrid device to me. Little bit of a bold, little bit of an 8900
    It's got the best parts of 3 phones, so yeah it's a hybrid. In this case that's a good thing.
    03-26-09 11:23 PM
    8900 is a sweet device. Virtually all issues I had with it were T-mobile related (i.e. poor reception + choppy UMA + under-informed technical staff). Some of the problem with the Curve is that it is a consumer level devise I believe that is made from cheaper material and in a smaller footprint (hence the tin can speaker). I am so happy to see the Niagara is smaller like the curve but at the same time worry about it won't be as sturdy as my trusty 8830. Having said that; I am so going to get the Niagara on the release day LOL
    Ill be waiting in line on release day also For some reason, Im more excited about this release then the Storms lol
    03-30-09 12:16 PM
    Ill be waiting in line on release day also For some reason, Im more excited about this release then the Storms lol
    this will be my first berry -- and i CAN"T WAIT. seriously, every day that goes by that there isn't an announced release date I die a little inside. =( lol

as far as release day goes.. any tips/advice? Will there be an online pre-order process? Do I just show up to a verizon store before it opens? Any general info on the process would be appreciated, want to make sure I don't miss out!

Thanks for the help =)

-Cow
    03-30-09 12:37 PM
    this will be my first berry -- and i CAN"T WAIT. seriously, every day that goes by that there isn't an announced release date I die a little inside. =( lol

as far as release day goes.. any tips/advice? Will there be an online pre-order process? Do I just show up to a verizon store before it opens? Any general info on the process would be appreciated, want to make sure I don't miss out!

Thanks for the help =)

-Cow
    No one knows yet how Verizon is going to release it. I don't think this is going to be as big as the Storm's release even though it should be but you should just go to the store as soon as it opens on the release date.
    03-30-09 12:49 PM
    learn from experience. WAIT!!! There is nothing in this phone thats truely revolutionary to wait on long lines or be the first to get it.

A friend of mine had the 8900 and when she told me, I was like, ooo, I wanna check it out. I have the curve with the 8900 theme. When she saw mine, she was like, wait, that looks like the same phone no?

I told her, nope, heres why, and showed her the difference in the lines/color, material, and what not. So my point is that although it may physically look nice, it doesn't stray too far off from the basic curve design and it doesnt offer anything revolutionary (software or hardware wise) that warrants ppl lining up 24 hours prior just to get it n day one!

But thats just my view! Then again, I don't think any phone is worth a 24 hour camp out!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-30-09 at 02:58 PM.
    03-30-09 02:56 PM
    while i totally understand where you're coming from, I currently have the basic "comes with the plan for free" LG phone from about 3 years ago.. so it will be a HUGE upgrade for me.

granted, i suppose i couldn't debate too strongly about simply waiting another month to ensure the device i buy is bug-free.. but because this is a hybrid device im hoping they will have fewer issues with the OS. not that the 9630's we've seen so far have had a working OS... heh

-Cow
    03-30-09 03:01 PM
    I wasn't talking about camping out. I was just saying go to the store early because I don't think there would be a need to camp out anyways since this phone won't go as fast as the Storm. Of course I'm assuming that it won't get as much attention as the Storm.
    03-30-09 03:37 PM
    its a strom with a keyboard. That's it! A keyboard was the big question of the day when the storm came out. And those who adopted the storm anyway, did so knowing they wanted a touch screen over a keyboard. So why go all out and pay full price for a device whos only real difference so far is just the keyboard?

Just relax and let the reviews come out and see what this thing really has before you jump ship from your storms or whatever! Lets not forget, your actions allow for Verizon to give you less for more when your so willing to buy a device at full price and then exend your contract for 2 more years in the process. So in essence, you do your own self a disservice, and for little improvement
    03-30-09 03:46 PM
    First of I want to say I don't want this to turn into a bad argument, let's keep this civilize.

RicanMedic78, I was talking to Cowadin who needs an upgrade so it's huge for him.

As for the Storm, people didn't exactly know what they were getting into because of the SurePress. People thought this could eliminate the need of an actual keyboard. Also, if people pay the full price they won't need to renew their contract for 2 more years.
    03-30-09 03:57 PM
    don't take my comment to mean I think all upgrades are stupid. My point is just do not flock like sheep! Its very rare that any technology u have now is so bad that one cannot wait at least a month before upgrading!

Oh and your right about not extending ur contract if u pay full price... my blip!
    03-30-09 04:06 PM
    Your right, people could wait but then again they have 30 days to return it. The Niagara isn't completely new technology since it is similar to many devices recently released, unlike the Storm was. It definitely is up to the person to decide how long they want to wait but it's not like they would be jumping into the complete unknown.
    03-30-09 08:34 PM
    thanks for the opinions here, i appreciate it. =)

as far as my situation goes, i've been on a verizon family plan for almost 8 years now, but have been too cheap to get anything above the free phone. i finally decided to treat myself to a nice berry about a week before the first pictures of the Niagara leaked, which I saw about 15 hours before I was going to go pick up a storm... so i decided to wait one more time for this one (figuring i would prefer the QWERTY).

so i don't think im flocking to the newest and the greatest, im actually proud of my self restraint so far

thanks again!

-cow
    03-30-09 08:43 PM
    thanks for the opinions here, i appreciate it. =)

as far as my situation goes, i've been on a verizon family plan for almost 8 years now, but have been too cheap to get anything above the free phone. i finally decided to treat myself to a nice berry about a week before the first pictures of the Niagara leaked, which I saw about 15 hours before I was going to go pick up a storm... so i decided to wait one more time for this one (figuring i would prefer the QWERTY).

so i don't think im flocking to the newest and the greatest, im actually proud of my self restraint so far

thanks again!

-cow
    Your going to love BBs.
    Just remember your going to have to add the $30 data plan so if you don't need it or want it, maybe too expensive, then maybe you would prefer a different phone.
    03-30-09 08:48 PM
    its gonna open his eyes to a new world, lol! Especially when coming from the freebe phone world to this... lol

just remember, it isn't going to be instant love. U'll have to get used to it as it developes to suit ur needs. Its sort of like twitter in that way, lol. Although I'm still not utterly facinated with twitter anyway but u know what I mean...
    03-30-09 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD