We've all heard the defense. "what does it matter if you can't pre-order 11 days before it comes out? you can pre-order in a few days!"

that isn't the point. obviously we know this, obviously we are all going to get the phone on or within a couple days of its release.

The POINT is, this is gross incompetence on the part of verizon OR they are just lying to us and claiming its a "system bug".

Is this the first time they've had a new phone for pre-order? the programming is exactly the same. To claim its a "system error" and to not have it fixed within hours shows their incompetence. That much is fact.

Whether that's really whats happening here, well who really knows, but either way, its an embarrasment to this company.

RANT OVER
    07-01-09 09:58 PM
    Thanks for this useless addition to this already crowded sub-forum.

Verizon is correcting the issue and if they are delaying it than they have a good reason for it. Just hold your horses.
    07-01-09 10:03 PM
    and there you have it. a reply that supports the original post to begin with. Correcting what? The most basic of webpage functionality which they've had in place for countless other phones? they aren't flying to the moon for the first time here, they are setting up their website to work the same way it's worked for every other phone release! for it to take days to fix is the very definition of incompetence.
    07-01-09 10:06 PM
    and there you have it. a reply that supports the original post to begin with. Correcting what? The most basic of webpage functionality which they've had in place for countless other phones? they aren't flying to the moon for the first time here, they are setting up their website to work the same way it's worked for every other phone release! for it to take days to fix is the very definition of incompetence.
    Please feel free to list all the phones that have had pre-orders such as this. We'll all wait patiently.
    07-01-09 10:09 PM
    Yeah i agree with OP this thread is a complete waste of time bandwith and brain power...
    07-01-09 10:09 PM
    And you are not worthy to have Dwight Schrute as your avatar. Take it off
    07-01-09 10:10 PM
    Please feel free to list all the phones that have had pre-orders such as this. We'll all wait patiently.
    well the storm for one? no issues there right? same code no? are they teaching themselves html for the first time or something?

keep defending them though, its the point of the thread afterall.
    07-01-09 10:11 PM
    I agree with you. I personally think they were not going to pre-release it to existing customers and my guess is they got a lot of complaints from loyal customers like myself and had to back peddle and decided to blame it on a technical issue on their website. I would think if it were a technical problem it would not have had big red bold letters stating not for upgrade. Again just my opinion but I think at this point they are trying to baby face it and not admit that they were willing to shut out all their pre-existing customers.
    I could care less if I tried to pre-order and they told me they were no longer taking orders or were out etc. etc., but I am almost willing to pull my business after 10 years with them just out of principle that they would leave their current customer base out intentionally. Yeah, yeah I know I'm a baby, Wahhhhh but I have spent a lot of money with them over the years and I think I am just as much entitled to a pre-release order than anyone else. Just a bad business move overall IMHO. Yes, I can go down to the store and get one on the 12th and have it sooner but normally I am stuck behind this computer all hours of the day and night so just having the brown truck show up to the door makes it much easier. Once I finally move away from my dumb phone to the Tour I will be able to venture out of the office more and still be in constant contact with my clients.
    Last edited by neoflex; 07-01-09 at 10:14 PM.
    07-01-09 10:12 PM
    Do you know PHP, MYSQP, XHTML, CSS and the countless other languages that are needed to keep the websites going?

I'm guessing it is a very complicated system especially when you add in having switch between upgrades and new users. It isn't as simple as it looks.

I would also like to mention that every change has to make its way through all their servers.
    07-01-09 10:12 PM
    Please keep the posts on topic and respectful. If you disagree, state your point and move on. But we don't need bickering and fighting. Thanks for the cooperation.
    07-01-09 10:13 PM
    On one hand, I agree that it is completely useless to complain too much, because, at the end of the day we're all going to get the phone during the first week it's out.

On the other hand... I just don't get it. How can it be so difficult to update the website? I know apple is only a point of sale, but they are able to take the page down for an hour, update it, and have new products up on the store and good to go as soon as Steve exits the stage...

Just don't get it.
    07-01-09 10:14 PM
    well the storm for one? no issues there right? same code no? are they teaching themselves html for the first time or something?

keep defending them though, its the point of the thread afterall.
    Incorrect.

The Storm release was a fiasco. Most phones (as you seem to keep implying) don't have pre-orders (or even official announcements). I'm not even sure if the Storm had a pre-order.
    07-01-09 10:14 PM
    i don't understand the need for this rant. This isn't a big deal
    07-01-09 10:18 PM
    The Storm was available for pre-order and most certainly was available for upgrades for existing customers. If you think that they write code (no matter the complexity), in this case to have existing customers pre-order phones as upgrades, and then toss it out after using it, you are sadly mistaken. Obviously it isn't as simple as cutting and pasting the code used for the Storm, but it most CERTAINLY doesn't take 72 hours or more to get it going! So it comes down to either they are giving us the run around for whatever motive they might have, or they are completely incompetent. Either way, its a disgrace as a loooong time Verizon customer.

there will always people that agree to disagree, but thanks to the few of you that see it might may.

- The guy that will get the Tour week of the 12th regardless (but as i said, thats not the point)
    07-01-09 10:21 PM
    In this thread:
    A forum member of crack berry who is complaining because he didn't get to pre order his tour.

If Verizon is giving us the run around it is for good reason. What if there is oh say... A glitch in the OS that RIM is releasing with the Verizon Tour or... A problem with one of their servers that handles the preorders but not the server that handles the payments... Hm... Would you like to pay for your tour then have them come back and say that there was no record of you pre ordering it then you having to go through the process of reversing the payment.

Just hush and wait there's a good reason IF they are giving us the run around and if there is a serious problem they are fixing it.
    07-01-09 10:26 PM
    Who the **** cares. It doesnt matter when you preorder the device because you are going to receive the Tour on the same day whether you preorder the phone today or preorder the phone 3 days before release.
    Wow, did you even read the OP? That is exactly what I said to preface this whole thing! I'm not challenging that point, or even saying there is a chance that they will be out of stock. Obviously that is a very unlikely event. Obviously anyone that wants a Tour will get it that week. Again, not the point at all. It's the window dressing they are attempting to apply and the ridiculousness of their claims that is the point. Best case scenario, 3+ days to fix a coding error on the website that has been programmed in the past? The programming involved in getting new customers pre-ordered should be much more complex than having an existing customer pre-order. But what do I know, I'm in finance.
    07-01-09 10:27 PM
    i don't understand the need for this rant. This isn't a big deal
    LOL, I'm drawing a blank to on this thread. Just go to the VZ store on the 12th and pick it up if you can't preorder, It's more fun anyway to go to the store.

There isn't a need to pick at every little problem that comes up.
    07-01-09 10:34 PM
    I think from the standpoint of web development there can be issues when working with huge databases and such..

but if it was my business I would have figured out a workaround to put preorders through whether it be through telesales or not...
    07-01-09 10:41 PM
    Ok, you can't play nice and keep the discussion civil so its now closed.
    07-01-09 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD