My blackberry tour was just stolen, i wanted to know if there is ANYYYYYYY way to track it down? Thanks !
    09-28-09 04:05 PM
    I don't think so... for your next phone, check out SmrtGuard :: Your Smartphone Guardian�. Relatively cheap and worth every penny if your phone gets stolen.
    09-28-09 04:22 PM
    If you think it was stolen then get everybody you know in your contacts list to email, txt, bbm, and call your phone. Make it a pain in the *** to have and tell them to tell the thief to return it to a verizon store.

Worked for my wifes phone and there were only three of us doing it.
    09-28-09 04:35 PM
    well sprint has their family locator and it works REALLY well...like within 20 feet of where the phone is. as long as your location was set to "on", it'd find it.

maybe verizon has something like that for you.
    09-28-09 04:47 PM
    I wish I knew how to track it as well if there was a way. Mine was just stolen too
    09-28-09 04:58 PM
    will your insurance cover it? I know it sucks to pay the fee but at least you wouldn't be out completely...
    09-28-09 05:00 PM
    If you filed a police report, get them to track it?

My friend was mugged and they took his dumbphone, but the police were able to track it down and find the guy using it. Like I said though, its a matter of how it was stolen. If your house was robbed or you were mugged, then that would be a proper way for it to be reclaimed. However if you just left it at a bar or somewhere and it was taken, then this wouldn't be the way to go.

If you aren't going to have it tracked, I would call your provider ASAP and have it put on the stolen list, so nobody else can activate it.
    09-28-09 05:36 PM
    did you have google maps app with latitude? for the heck of it check and see if you show up on a friends latitude app.
    09-28-09 06:43 PM
    ye i filed a police report saying i got robbed at gunpoint, did nothing...called blackberry, nothing, called verizon, nothing...
    i have google maps on it and i registered with the latitude thing but on my previous tour...im not even sure how to use the latitude honestly

thanks guys! i appreciate all your help!
    Last edited by RENEGADE3E; 04-27-10 at 09:45 AM.
    09-28-09 07:05 PM
    Here's a tip for anyone who ever has to endure the pain of going thru a stolen or lost berry...on all of my previous bb's, including the Tour, this is my setup:

First, I've downloaded a program called GPS Tracker (can be found in bb app world). Download and install - then go into options, and select the option to launch GPS Tracker at startup. When this program is launched, it will sync the exact coordinates, as well show you the path that the phone is travelling, if it is moving or in a car, etc...on the website, you can track and detail all kinds of information. It is VERY useful-and in my testing, was SPOT on EVERY time. With the latitude and longitude coordinates, you can plug them into google maps on a computer, and can then see the exact street view of where your phone is.

Now, I realize that you don't want this app running in the background 24/7...so here is one of many options. As I said above, set the app to launch on phone startup. So if your criminal tries to do a battery pull, the app will auto-launch as soon as the phone starts-and you can then track his movements with your phone via the website.

However, a smart criminal will see this app launch, and try to exit out of it before it takes effect. To stop this from happening, go into options>password on your bb, and set a password. This way, when the phone reboots after a battery pull, the criminal will be presented with a password screen-and while they try to enter the password, the gps tracker app will launch in the background without them being able to see...I realize that after 10 attempts, the phone will wipe (for security reasons) but at least by then you'll have an accurate gps fix of your phones location.

I set my password to expire after an hour. I figure, if the phone is ever stolen-by the time the criminal gets it in their grubby hands and tries to do something, it'll be locked, and they will think they can simply pull the battery, and reinsert it to get past the password. However, once they try this, gps tracker will launch and they're caught red handed.

Just one of many ways to go about tracking your device...good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 08:06 PM
    did my part, text him at 1:27am estern. ill text him every night, just pm me if its ever turned in.

good idea 7horn.

uploading my contacts to my email would make this quite easy if I had to do this
    09-29-09 12:29 AM
    I don't think so... for your next phone, check out SmrtGuard :: Your Smartphone Guardian�. Relatively cheap and worth every penny if your phone gets stolen.
    SmrtGuard is not actually that cheap. You have to pay a monthly fee for it's use. RobLock on the otherhand is cheap and not fee based.

If he has reported the phone stolen then there is no point in calling or texting since the phone would have been deactivated. On the otherhand if this guy is trying to prank a friend, you just helped him by texting him in the middle of the night.
    09-29-09 01:07 AM
    The OP sounds a bit suspicious to me...I wouldn't help this person as they could be up to no good here and you wouldn't want to be responsible for lending a hand in helping them bring grief or harm to another person.
    09-29-09 02:17 AM
    No way to to track it down... Cops or phone companies don;t care for it being stolen and so won't track the signal or give it to you for some good ole' vigilante justice.

Best you can do is request the phone company or RIM block the pin or IMEI and so he cannot acces BIS services such as bbm, email etc...

He can still unlock it and use it make calls or receive texts. As for any programs or anything, I'm pretty sure he will keep the network off and wipe the device.
    09-29-09 05:05 AM
    Here's a tip for anyone who ever has to endure the pain of going thru a stolen or lost berry...on all of my previous bb's, including the Tour, this is my setup:

First, I've downloaded a program called GPS Tracker (can be found in bb app world). Download and install - then go into options, and select the option to launch GPS Tracker at startup. When this program is launched, it will sync the exact coordinates, as well show you the path that the phone is travelling, if it is moving or in a car, etc...on the website, you can track and detail all kinds of information. It is VERY useful-and in my testing, was SPOT on EVERY time. With the latitude and longitude coordinates, you can plug them into google maps on a computer, and can then see the exact street view of where your phone is.

Now, I realize that you don't want this app running in the background 24/7...so here is one of many options. As I said above, set the app to launch on phone startup. So if your criminal tries to do a battery pull, the app will auto-launch as soon as the phone starts-and you can then track his movements with your phone via the website.

However, a smart criminal will see this app launch, and try to exit out of it before it takes effect. To stop this from happening, go into options>password on your bb, and set a password. This way, when the phone reboots after a battery pull, the criminal will be presented with a password screen-and while they try to enter the password, the gps tracker app will launch in the background without them being able to see...I realize that after 10 attempts, the phone will wipe (for security reasons) but at least by then you'll have an accurate gps fix of your phones location.

I set my password to expire after an hour. I figure, if the phone is ever stolen-by the time the criminal gets it in their grubby hands and tries to do something, it'll be locked, and they will think they can simply pull the battery, and reinsert it to get past the password. However, once they try this, gps tracker will launch and they're caught red handed.

Just one of many ways to go about tracking your device...good luck!

Do you have a link to the applicaiton you are talking about? A search of app world for gps tracker returned many trackers but not one with the exact name you mentioned.
    09-29-09 08:28 AM
    I will always recommend SmrtGuard. It has the GPS tracker. It does the backup/restore of your contacts and such. It has the load beep you can use to find the phone if you lost it in your house. It has the remote wipe, which completely erases yours phone. It is basically full of awesome, totally worth the monthly fee.

As for tracking the phone down, you are SoL I think.
    09-29-09 08:34 AM
    SmrtGuard is not actually that cheap. You have to pay a monthly fee for it's use. RobLock on the otherhand is cheap and not fee based.

If he has reported the phone stolen then there is no point in calling or texting since the phone would have been deactivated. On the otherhand if this guy is trying to prank a friend, you just helped him by texting him in the middle of the night.
    It's $20 for six months of use. That's cheap for what it offers - remote backup/restore, GPS tracking, remote phone-wiping, remote phone-locking, also audio pinging. It's definitely worth the money.
    09-29-09 08:56 AM
    No way to to track it down... Cops or phone companies don;t care for it being stolen and so won't track the signal or give it to you for some good ole' vigilante justice.

Best you can do is request the phone company or RIM block the pin or IMEI and so he cannot acces BIS services such as bbm, email etc...

He can still unlock it and use it make calls or receive texts. As for any programs or anything, I'm pretty sure he will keep the network off and wipe the device.

Not if the ESN is blocked. If you call up Verizon and report the BB stolen they will blacklist the ESN/MEID rendering it less useful than a doorstop.
    09-29-09 09:54 AM
    I just went into bb world, clicked search, typed in "gps tracker" and while there were about 30 results, only one app popped up with the name "gps tracker" lol...that's the one! the logo is a brown/gold satellite. Its made by instamapper llc

Do you have a link to the applicaiton you are talking about? A search of app world for gps tracker returned many trackers but not one with the exact name you mentioned.
    Last edited by mconk; 09-29-09 at 11:24 AM.
    09-29-09 11:20 AM
    I just went into bb world, clicked search, typed in "gps tracker" and while there were about 30 results, only one app popped up with the name "gps tracker" lol...that's the one! the logo is a brown/gold satellite. Its made by instamapper llc

I think that is the one he was talking about. I've used InstaMapper before and it works very well.

When i'm driving back to Michigan to visit family, I always send them the link to the webpage that will show them exactly where I am at on a google map. You can set it to update the site as often as you want. This way they aren't calling me every hour saying "Where are you at? When will you be here?".
    09-29-09 11:25 AM
    It's $20 for six months of use. That's cheap for what it offers - remote backup/restore, GPS tracking, remote phone-wiping, remote phone-locking, also audio pinging. It's definitely worth the money.
    I am sure it is great for some people, but for my money, a one time $9.95 cost with all the same features sans the back up feature is better than paying $20 every 6 months for the service. RobLock also does most of it's features via sms instead of email which is a plus for those of us not using BIS or BES.
    09-29-09 05:24 PM
    Nice! Very useful...I haven't even thought of that...will give that a shot on the next road trip..or even next time I travel period...that way people who need to check in, can. I like how you can copy the lat and long, and past them into google maps for a street view of your exact location...very useful!

I think that is the one he was talking about. I've used InstaMapper before and it works very well.

When i'm driving back to Michigan to visit family, I always send them the link to the webpage that will show them exactly where I am at on a google map. You can set it to update the site as often as you want. This way they aren't calling me every hour saying "Where are you at? When will you be here?".
    09-29-09 09:43 PM
    On my lock screen, I have a picture of my pug and it says "if found, please contact xxx-xxx-xxx immediately."

Being an honest, goodhearted person, I would reward the person returning the device. $100 cash is fitting..as it would be the deductible for a claim.

Also, if I leave it behind in a store and an employee turns it in, I'd make every effort to ensure that employee is rewarded.

If someone is dishonest and decides to sell it on a street corner, then I hope they have fun explaining to whoever why it won't work with Sprint.

09-29-09 10:29 PM
    thanks guys, i will try that on my next tour, i went to verizon they said it costs 250 with a 100 mail in rebate, so 150 total which isnt bad at all...

for the next phone ill install either one of those, smart guard, gps tracker, or roblock

should have done that earlier, but mistakes are there for u to learn from them lol i suggest everyone puts one of these programs to track their phone down before its too late...
    10-01-09 09:39 AM
    The theif is probably reading this forum right now!

10-01-09 12:38 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD