So in the next few weeks I plan to disassemble my tour to switch the bezel out (mine managed to get chipped while my phone had a silicone skin on and the phone was in the leather holster!). Today I noticed how the status LED just doesn't look right to me. I wonder if it would be possible to swap it out to a blue one. Anyone have any idea on the specs of the stock one? Size, voltage, etc.
    09-07-09 05:21 PM
    im pretty sure there is a soft mod that will let you do that check the blackberry appstore its free if not im sure there is one u can download it .. i had done it to a blackberry i used to have. i could be wrong though it would be worth looking into before you try any hard mods like that
    09-07-09 05:34 PM
    How well can you solder? Lol If I'm remembering right, I think the Curve I took apart had a tiny flat-pack like led soldered directly onto the pcb (I'll verify tomorrow). Past that, I THINK blue vs. red leds have a slight different "typical" operating voltage and the allowance designed for that. it MAY work, but just wouldn't be optimal and might cause heat issues, etc...I'll read some more & post back if no one else jumps in and adds/corrects. Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-09 09:03 PM
    just buy buzz berry. it's what, three bucks?
    09-07-09 09:14 PM
    The Tour has a multi-color LED and can produce a huge range of colors.

Try an app called "BerryBuzz"
    09-07-09 09:38 PM
    ColorID in Blackberry App World. (Free version) may do what you want.

09-07-09 09:43 PM
    Thanks guys. I'm not that good at soldering yet (Still practicing) and I didn't plan on switching it until I was confident enough of my skills. Thanks for the heads up on the App.
    09-07-09 10:49 PM
    There is really no reason for phyically swapping that LED. If you want a blue status light blinking, Berrybuzz can do it. It can also make it blink almost any other color you want.
    09-08-09 01:23 AM
    Thanks guys. I'm not that good at soldering yet (Still practicing) and I didn't plan on switching it until I was confident enough of my skills. Thanks for the heads up on the App.
    I'm a professional at soldering and wouldn't attempt it without a high $ monoscope and VERY high $$$ soldering equipment. I haven't specifically looked at the status LED on the Tour but I've done a few board, screen and trackball replacements. I wouldn't even bother to repair my own phone at the component level. I promise you it's not economically feasable to replace a surface-mount, micro-component like an LED at that scale. The manufactures scrap the stuff and replace it with new when it's broke. I've managed to pull off a few repairs at that level and I had access to special equipment at that time. I've also screwed up some stuff larger than this after I made it known it was *at your own risk* type work. You can practice all you feel like with with the LED. Getting the solder to stick where you want it is practically 1/10th of the problem. There are many other problems amplified by scale to be considered like over-dwelling on the components and cooking them with heat. These things are manufactured with automated equipment thats impossible to reproduce with human hands/eyes. It's always good to learn but you're looking at a lot of dynamics here. This is in addition to the possiblility of shorting the phone in the process which would pretty much kill it. I doubt you'd be able to find 1, 2 or maybe 10 of these LED's for sale. It would be a good bet that you'd have to buy a production run of them or else spend a lot on a couple to get them repackaged for individual resale. These LEDs are voltage/polarity driven to different colors which is ultimately driven by the software. Honestly, I think learning the software would probably yeild a lot higher payoff than getting them soldered out and back in. It's pretty much a dead art to do this stuff by hand unless you're handling very old/obsolete or industrial hardware like I do (and that is quickly drying up).
    09-08-09 04:22 AM
    I can't find this berrybuzz by searching through lists or in the search. I'm typing "berrybuzz" in the search. hmmm
    09-08-09 06:19 AM
    ColorID in Blackberry App World. (Free version) may do what you want.

Yep coloriD is the bomb

09-08-09 09:44 AM
    Try buzz me pro.I like it more than berry buzz xD

09-08-09 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD