I do not use the holster so whenever I put my bb in my pocket I hold the top right button for a second to put the phone into standby. Then I just tap it again to get it out of standby when I need to use it.

I was wondering if I am using the standby feature properly, because I do not see why people would use the lock function over the standby function since lock is worse on battery life and take an extra click to unlock it.
    07-31-09 01:42 AM
    In case you leave your phone somewhere and not want anyone to go through your messages, it would be good to lock the phone. That would be my guess.

Or you go to the bar and not want your friends playing with your phone! Well ofcourse you'd have to set a password first.
    07-31-09 02:14 AM
    when I put the phone in my holster or pocket I put it on standby but I set my phone to auto-lock after 30 mins of inactivity just in case I lose it or some one gets hold of it
    07-31-09 02:27 AM
    I always use lock on my phone. That standby stuff is crap. If you give anyone your phone or lose it, they've got your phone and all your information on it. Locking it, even if someone uses CrackUtilities will scrub the device and wipe all the information. Even if you set it to give you 10 password tries, if they don't get it, the device gets wiped on the 10th wrong try.

I don't know where you heard that the lock feature uses more battery than the standby feature. They should use the same since they are both essentially the same. The only difference is that the lock feature requires a password to get into the phone.

This to me is a much better feature since I usually leave my phone on my desk and stuff and don't want coworkers getting into it or even other people like my daughter and her friends.
    07-31-09 08:53 AM
    I guess there is that middle ground - no password - just the LOCK where you need to press the GREEN PHONE button and the Asterisk to unlock. That would slow folks down but gives a pretty clear hint how to unlock (G)
    07-31-09 08:56 AM
    A good thing about the standby is that it doesn't activate the screen when you hit the keyboard keys - ONLY when you hit the top four buttons. This makes it a good "pocket-mode" since you won't be turning on the screen every five seconds and draining battery.
    07-31-09 08:58 AM
    i guess i just lock it..i always forget there is the standby option.. :P
    07-31-09 09:01 AM
    Is there anyway to lock you phone on standby?
    07-31-09 09:24 AM
    Another disadvantage to standby is that it will stop apps from running as well. If you use the AutoLock or AutoStandby apps (I have both), you will notice this. I used to wonder why Pandora or Iheartradio would cut out suddenly, it's because the phone goes on to standby. You don't have this when you lock the phone.
    07-31-09 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD