will us cellular flash my sprint tour (9630)
    01-02-11 08:57 PM
    Extremely doubtful. You may be able to use Boost, though, since Sprint owns them.
    01-02-11 09:03 PM
    They might. The smaller regional carriers sometimes will. It won't hurt to ask. But be sure that you really want to go from a national carrier to a smaller one. You may find significant coverage issues. Note, I'm a Verizon user and have no experience with either USCellular or Sprint. And even if I did, your results might be different.
    01-02-11 09:04 PM
    Like Jeff said, "It won't hurt to ask". I have gotten approval to get a VZW 9650 hooked up on CellularSouth. Of course that may be because of my awesomeness

Jeff, the little guys (regional carriers) are doing a pretty good job with their coverage, and are VERY competitive on their plan pricing. Just sayin'....
    01-02-11 10:40 PM
    If they say no, call the customer service line and tell them you want to activate an old phone. Then give them the Tour MEID number. Don't tell them it came from Sprint. Should work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by scuebydue; 01-03-11 at 12:48 PM.
    01-03-11 06:22 AM
    US Cellular only allows USCC-branded phones. It would probably need USCC's firmware flashed on it, at the very least.

What are the first 3 numbers of a USCC ESN/MEID? I did a quick search on ebay and couldn't find any listings with the ESN in it. Sprint Tours are 268, and if USCC's is not 268 (or 270) then it won't go into their database, because it will show as "incompatible" just like an Evo 4G would...for example.
    01-03-11 12:28 PM
    US Cellular only allows USCC-branded phones. It would probably need USCC's firmware flashed on it, at the very least.

What are the first 3 numbers of a USCC ESN/MEID? I did a quick search on ebay and couldn't find any listings with the ESN in it. Sprint Tours are 268, and if USCC's is not 268 (or 270) then it won't go into their database, because it will show as "incompatible" just like an Evo 4G would...for example.
    USCC MEID starts with 268. The 9630 is a world phone so all models should be exactly the same. The carrier wouldn't matter. And I know a few people that have done this with Curve/tours. One tried with Storm and it did work, but didn't have broswer data. Just text and calls.
    Last edited by scuebydue; 01-03-11 at 12:47 PM.
    01-03-11 12:31 PM
    They might. The smaller regional carriers sometimes will. It won't hurt to ask. But be sure that you really want to go from a national carrier to a smaller one. You may find significant coverage issues. Note, I'm a Verizon user and have no experience with either USCellular or Sprint. And even if I did, your results might be different.
    USCC does use tower shares for the National Coverage. I actually have better service than my partner who has AT&T. To compare oranges to oranges, USCC would be an almost exact match for Verizons' service.
    01-03-11 12:33 PM
    USCC MEID starts with 268. The 9630 is a world phone so all models should be exactly the same. The carrier would matter. And I know a few people that have done this with Curve/tours. One tried with Storm and it did work, but didn't have broswer data. Just text and calls.
    Ah, thanks for confirming the number...makes sense.

I would suspect you'd have to get into modifying the files to get data working (maybe a simple thing like an APN modification?)...which is silly times 10 because USCC already offers a Tour
    USCC does use tower shares for the National Coverage. I actually have better service than my partner who has AT&T. To compare oranges to oranges, USCC would be an almost exact match for Verizons' service.
    I fully agree. Having been with USCC for 5 years, going to AT&T for 6 months or so, then moving to Boost (Sprint) for the past 6 months...USCC has the best coverage and tied with Sprint for the best voice quality. I can always tell when I'm talking to someone with AT&T (and if they have an iPhone or not)
    01-03-11 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD