As of 8/21/09 the trackball problem is a "Known Issue" as far as Sprint is concerned. Sprint is waiting to hear from RIM what serial numbers (or batch production dates) are defective.
    08-21-09 12:26 PM
    Hmm... I hope Verizon does the right thing as well...
    08-21-09 12:33 PM
    Source please???
    08-21-09 12:35 PM
    Its in whatever system the Sprint employees can look this information up in. Employees reported not seeing it earlier this week, but I just confirmed with someone else it is now a known issue.

Sprint is trying to work with RIM to get the information. As of now SOP apply in terms of returning units. I chose to wait until we get more info. as I don't want another defective Tour.

stay tuned.
    08-21-09 12:40 PM
    as far as sprints systems are concerned, this is NOT a KNOWN ISSUE, it was just simply stated in the dealer communication on August 3rd that it it a CONCERN, and still is as of today.
    08-21-09 01:19 PM
    That's cool that atleast Sprint is saying this is a problem and is taking up the issue with RIM
    08-21-09 01:24 PM
    simple fix for the moment is to replace trackball with a ball assembly from an 8330. Personally have a tour and replaced the ball and it seems to resolve the issue. AE is on the way.
    08-21-09 01:24 PM
    simple fix for the moment is to replace trackball with a ball assembly from an 8330. Personally have a tour and replaced the ball and it seems to resolve the issue. AE is on the way.
    I refuse that option; I paid too much for the phone to have ghetto-rig with other parts.
    08-21-09 01:29 PM
    as far as sprints systems are concerned, this is NOT a KNOWN ISSUE, it was just simply stated in the dealer communication on August 3rd that it it a CONCERN, and still is as of today.
    Not according to the ES rep I spoke with this morning. She read me the exact text of the Known Issue entry and confirmed it was posted this morning. She then emailed the "owner" of the entry and had a conversation with the point of contact on this matter in the ES office.

Either way, she had not been aware of the issue, but as soon as i mentioned Tour and trackball she pulled up the known issue document.
    08-21-09 01:30 PM
    I refuse that option; I paid too much for the phone to have ghetto-rig with other parts.
    well considering that its not "ghetto riging" by sprint's standards. This is the fix coming directly from the Service and Repair manager for the area, but have a screwed up trackball.
    08-21-09 01:31 PM
    Additional update, as per the sprint community MB (Sarah, Wengla, *any* word on these...) another sprint employee (in a different dept than my source) confirmed this is now a known issue. Wengla (the author of that post) is a sprint employee.
    08-21-09 01:35 PM
    is that enough proof for you Jf?
    08-21-09 01:40 PM
    well considering that its not "ghetto riging" by sprint's standards. This is the fix coming directly from the Service and Repair manager for the area, but have a screwed up trackball.
    Sprint's standards also involved ignoring the fact that they've been continuing to stock defective Tours for over a month. I don't think that's a good measuring stick. As it is, my phone is supposed to have a working 9630 trackball, not an 8330 trackball.
    08-21-09 02:21 PM
    Source please???
    I just got off the phone with Sprint tech support and the woman told me that this is a known issue and there is no solution right now other than exchanging your device and "hoping" you get a better trackball.
    08-21-09 02:44 PM
    so we're supposed to replace the black trackball with a white one?

i'll be taking this up with the NAACP
    08-21-09 03:00 PM
    so we're supposed to replace the black trackball with a white one?

i'll be taking this up with the NAACP
    LOL thats funny.

As for the stocking issue, They didnt know they were defective yet, so you cant blame them for that. Regardless of the fact they have a warranty and the issue is being addressed is that not enough for you?
    08-21-09 03:46 PM
    Just got home with my new Verizon Tour after giving up on my 4th Curve with faulty buttons/keyboards.

I noticed the trackball lag in the store but the employees swore to me I just needed to adjust the sensitivity and get used to it.

Knew I could count on CB to affirm I'm not a total moron. At least I still have the old Curve to butcher, I may throw things if I go back into the store anytime soon.

Edit to add: If it gives anyone some hope that it IS a software fix and not a hardware issue; I just restored the Tour from my old Curve backup file and there seems to be no lag now. Strange. I guess I'll give it a day or two before I rip it apart.
    Last edited by naloxone; 08-21-09 at 04:57 PM.
    08-21-09 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD