Hey all,

Need some assistance. I have a sprint 9630 and am in South America. Using a local sim card is allowing me access to internet and to make calls, but some applications will not work. I think what I want to do is wipe the phone and install verizon software so I can use apps such as skype and any others that i cant already use.

anybody have any suggestions ?
    09-20-10 02:47 PM
    1. You need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan on your SIM card in order to get data features and applications to work.

2. "Wiping the phone and installing verizon software" won't allow you to use Skype. (I don't know about "any others i cant already use", but BlackBerry OS doesn't work that way.) The Skype BlackBerry application will only work on Verizon branded devices, only on the Verizon network AND only while you and the device are in the US>
    09-20-10 04:51 PM
    As someone who has used a Tour in Central America, I can say that for some reason, some apps won't work over BIS when using the Tour in GSM Mode (slacker, pandora etc). (and I've tried this with THREE different carriers in the same country)
    09-20-10 05:01 PM
    As someone who has used a Tour in Central America, I can say that for some reason, some apps won't work over BIS when using the Tour in GSM Mode (slacker, pandora etc). (and I've tried this with THREE different carriers in the same country)
    Are you able to use BBM?
    09-20-10 05:58 PM
    i can. i have data but can only use bbm, browser, and email. i cant use my pdanet nor any other apps that i have. it sucks that verizon and sprint put a strangle hold on devices so you cant use them however you wish after paying hundreds.

also when connected to desktop manager it tells me the phone is roaming which is also bs.

i was just in colombia and a guy i know from nyc had a blackberry and was using skype on it everyday. im not sure how and he told me he took it to a shop and they hooked it up, so i have to believe there is a way...
    Last edited by forexap; 09-20-10 at 08:46 PM.
    09-20-10 08:44 PM
    I'm planning a trip to Italy and need to make sure my phone will work there. I have Sprint and they told me I had to add some feature to my phone which cost an extra $10/month plus any calls I made would be x amount of cents per minute.
    I don't understand the point of having the tour if I have to pay extra every month to use it when I travel.
    09-26-10 11:30 AM
    The "point" of having the Tour is that with the proper features activated, the device will actually work overseas as opposed to a CDMA only device would not work at all.

You still have to pay for the extra features. I don't think that anyone represented those roaming features as being included in your domestic plan.
    09-26-10 11:57 AM
    Has anyone used their tour overseas after cancelling service with Sprint? After they cancelled the overseas plan, I don't have much use for my tour. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars everytime I go overseas. Can I still use local Sim cards? Are there any good international data Sim cards that will work in Europe and the Middle East?
    10-02-10 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD