Please help, I'm desperate and a newbie. I had an 8703e blackberry and used it as a modem for my laptop. I am not unable to do so with the tour. Is there any solution for this? Bluetooth or not? Please help. Thank you very much
    07-30-09 08:40 AM
    you have to get Sprint's software to do this, call them up and they will get you the link. I searched for it but cant find it - I think its on the Sprint.com site -
    07-30-09 08:45 AM
    Please help, I'm desperate and a newbie. I had an 8703e blackberry and used it as a modem for my laptop. I am not unable to do so with the tour. Is there any solution for this? Bluetooth or not? Please help. Thank you very much
    what you have to do is, go to

Sprint Software Downloads - Smartphones - BlackBerry� Curve� 8330

and go to where it says Sprint SmartView for Windows� and click the link of the right side that says MORE DETAILS and go to the download link in blue and download the sprint viewer

when it runs on your computer, update it directly from there and then you can use ur tour as a modem

07-30-09 09:01 AM
    I have the Sprint Smart Viewer Downloaded and all Blackberry desktop software up and running, and smartview still says no device detected.
    08-07-09 09:48 AM
    I didnt use any software. Atleast in my setup.
    Windows 7RC.
    I first BT setup between Tour and Windows7 on my laptop.
    then went to Networks and created a Dial Up Networking. From there selected "Standard Bluetooth Modem". The # i setup to dial is #777 no user name or password. i clicked Dial and poof I have connection.
    This was for sprint's network...works like a charm:-)

depending on you Windows OS, you may have a slightly varied way of creating a DialUpNetworking Shortcut.
    08-07-09 11:43 AM
    So I tried it and nothing. So I went to sprint and did a little chat with them...they inform me they will not be allowing the Tour to be used a Modem....WTF?
    08-07-09 01:33 PM
    On both my old Palm Centro and PPC-6700, didn't have to use Sprint's "phone as a modem" software. The software I used for those two devices used the phone's own unlimited internet to tether my computers. Does Blackberry have something similar, or are we tied to the "phone as a modem" solution that costs extra through Sprint?
    08-07-09 01:36 PM
    I'm using Smartview with my Tour. When I first start the program, it doesn't detect the phone. I wait about 20-30 seconds, and it's detected.
    08-07-09 01:53 PM
    You probably don't have the proper drivers for your phone installed on your laptop. When you check device hardware, in the modems section, your Tour should show up as a Standard Modem. That was the problem for me at least. Now I can tether with Sprint View, but I still cannot get the phone to tether with it which I know is also possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 02:38 PM
    I just tried to use my tour as a modem about an hour ago. I started up Sprint Smart View and it would not show a device attached. I unplugged it a few times and it finally picked it up. Seemed to take about 5 min. Works like a charm.
    08-07-09 02:41 PM
    I have Sprint Aircard. How would the tour compare as a modem to the aircard? Are the upload/download speeds comparable? I use my card infrequently so my thought would be I sould cancel my aircard.
    09-11-09 11:15 PM
    geeez! All I did is run Desktop Manager, create a new connection to #777 and Off I went flying away on the internet!

Whats all this mess about smart view? I also think DM is not even required to run because the drivers are already installed. took me literally 2mins to tether the phone the first time!!
    09-12-09 02:44 AM
    geeez! All I did is run Desktop Manager, create a new connection to #777 and Off I went flying away on the internet!

Whats all this mess about smart view? I also think DM is not even required to run because the drivers are already installed. took me literally 2mins to tether the phone the first time!!
    Desktop Manager is required. I just checked earlier to see if I could tether my Tour. I had my computer already set up for Phone-As-Modem with Sprint when I hacked my last phone (so that I could tether without Sprint realizing it was my computer). The USB drivers were already installed, but my computer just couldn't see my phone. It wasn't until I turned on DM when suddenly it could see my phone. Dialed it right up, and the tether worked without any 3rd party software. People who buy the tetherberry app or download smartview ought to learn how to use Windows' abilities since it's free and doesn't take up space/memory.

davidf, I didn't test out the Tour's speeds, but my last phone was pretty quick that I didn't mind using dial up. I reckon the Tour should be the same since Sprint's network is pretty good in this respect. I even downloaded a few big programs at work (I use PAM to bypass my work's firewall).

Sharpie, long ago Sprint stopped advertising PAM/tethering. However, it is still possible to do. You won't be able to get Sprint to help you with that, though.
    09-12-09 04:53 AM

I just did what you said here but there is an error (#692 There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device)), Do I have to do something to my phone? I have windows XP, can you please explain step by step how you use the tour as a modem? I really need to use it as a modem. Please Help me. I will appreciate it. Thanks.
    10-08-09 02:00 PM
    i imagine you may need to add the modem initialization strings. i dont know for fact because im at work but i know i needed to do that for my curve and things seem similar with the tour.
    10-11-09 11:04 AM
    You can use the existing Bluetooth on your computer to tether. It works seamlessly once you set your phone to discoverable, and use the 'new connection' wizard on your computer to link. Some dialed #777, whereas others dialed #99*. I set up my Tour to dial #777. Don't need smartview, tetherberry or other 3rd party c***. I already had it set up with my laptop, but the post prompted me to set it up with my desktop. I am using a MoGo Bluetooth dongle with BlueSoleil software, was able to set up BT DUN and tether with my Tour in less than 2 minutes. Running XP on both. No special modem strings needed.

Of note, I found some had trouble with this.

See this thread for additional info: http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/us...-modem-284896/
    Last edited by dohturdima; 10-11-09 at 11:25 AM.
    10-11-09 11:18 AM
    Did you get it fixed??? I had the same problem with my tour, but using Quick Pull Lite, and doing a couple of quick pulls and re-hooking it up fixed the problem.
    10-19-09 02:07 PM
    ^^you're able to tether again with no problem at all??? which number do you dial?
    10-19-09 04:43 PM
    I got the same error msg. Wouldn't let me connect to the internet either

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 05:32 PM
    I was able to set up my Tour as modem on my xp

just standard modem over bluetooth and it works but will this be detected by sprint?
    07-27-10 08:26 AM
    I used the QPST hack and can tether both with USB and Bluetooth.

I was able to set up my Tour as modem on my xp

just standard modem over bluetooth and it works but will this be detected by sprint?
    If you stream lots of video/download a lot of crap, then yes, Sprint might notice.
    07-27-10 06:39 PM
    also you need to subscribe to a tethering plan from Sprint if you are going to use ''phone as modem'' ...I downloaded Tetherberry when it was $25 (or 50%) and it works great....super fast speeds (depending what I am doing and where I am located) and it has really already paid for itself in the few weeks I have had it when I needed wifi and did not have access to it. Having a program like this is much more valuable because you do not need a monthly subscription...it is a one time fee for the application. Very easy install for your computer and blackberry device *and* you can use either a bluetooth connection or your blackberry usb cable.
    07-29-10 07:48 AM
    I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while so I hope someone who can help me sees this. I have the Tour on Sprint's network. I have Windows 7 and the new BB 6.0 deskt op software. I have read on how to setup a connection through BB Desktop Manager and how to do it in Windows. With the new 6.0 software I do not see the options on how to setup the tour to work as a modem nor do I see the options I need to click on in the control panel in windows 7. Does ANYONE out there know how to configure the TOUR to work as a USB modem using Windows 7 and the new 6.0 BB Desktop Software?
    08-22-10 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD