I have had a Blackberry Tour for about a month and half, and all through out that time, I've both terrible reception and battery life issues. I have lowered my brightness down to 50% and turned off GPS, and to my knowledge, the radio has been set to "1XEV" and not "Global" the whole time. Yet still, I have drained 30% of my battery after 3 hours of lightish usage. (Used browser about 5 times for less than 3 minutes at a time, checked UberTwitter for literally less than 30 seconds) As for reception, I had great data reception at my house and the other areas around my area (Monmouth County) with my Blackberry Curve 8330m, so I know it is just the Tour. Yes, I do realize the two issues are related but I have two questions:
    1. Is there anything I can do right now to improve either?
    2. I am planning on going to a Sprint repair center, is it worth getting a new one, or should I try getting an early upgrade to the Bold or something?
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 10:06 AM
    If you're eligible for an early upgrade, I'd opt for the Bold. As for keeping the Tour, you can try to upgrade the OS; or if you already have the current (.624 - I think), reinstall the OS.
    07-29-10 10:12 AM
    Okay something is MESSED UP. It froze (which by the way, it's been REALLY slow) so I rebooted and it went from 65% battery to 25!

07-29-10 10:58 AM
    Its normal you loose some battery when you reboot, but thats huge. I would give Sprint a call or go to a tech center
    07-29-10 01:11 PM
    Yeah, I was planning on going after I'm done at work. Hopefully if I tell them all my problems they'll be able to give me an early upgrade to the Bold or the EVO (if they have it)

07-29-10 01:23 PM
    Sorry for the double post, but here's an update on the battery. I unplugged it from the charger and turned it on at about 8:15 this morning, and it lowered all the way down to 7% at 2:45. That means almost drained after only 6 and a half hours!

07-29-10 01:46 PM
    Thats not ok.. did you get ur Tour new from sprint?

And which os do you have installed? you can try to wipe ur phone, install a clean recent solid os (484 or 662) and dont put your back up back. See if it makes any difference just to make sure. If its still laggish then it might be a hardware defect
    Last edited by Mistik1973; 07-29-10 at 02:08 PM.
    07-29-10 02:03 PM
    I had a rogue app that was draining my battery like crazy over the last few days. I uninstalled a few of them and now battery life has been great (at 90% after 8 hours).

I uninstalled Google Voice, Yelp, Tapatalk and a few others.

As far as signal goes, what helped mine was going into Setup, Email Setup, then Service Books and request them to be sent again. Make sure you update your PRL and Profile under Options > Mobile Network Options too. After you do all that, reboot.

Since you've had freezing I would also suggest a wipe or reinstall a new OS. Some people have complained about the battery life with the 732 OS, but its been pretty good for me and the signal has been stable for me. Its a Verizon ROM but you can read on here how to get it working on the Sprint Tour.
    07-29-10 03:10 PM
    I've had the Tour on Sprint for three months now and I had a signal problem until two or so weeks ago. It was only a voice signal problem, data worked fine. Anyway, a little over two weeks ago, my phone ended up in the freezer somehow. Since then, it's had 1xEV with no less than 3 bars in the places I wasn't getting service. It was a very stranger fortunate event for me. :P

07-30-10 02:07 AM
    Okay after waiting two whole hours for the Sprint repair center to finish with my phone. It appears all they did is wipe my phone! When I tried to restore from a backup, the phone rebooted itself and got the no OS error! After it installed the new software and restored from a backup, I STILL don't have any of my 3rd party apps or themes, and I am STILL receiving antenna issues! I am tired of all this crap, and when I called Sprint for a third time, they said I had to go out of my way to the repair center again to get a replacement Tour! No way! As soon as I can I'm upgrading to the EVO or Hero!

07-30-10 07:58 AM
    That happened to me with my first replacement Tour. Now I'm on my third Tour. They should completely discontinue it, it's garbage.

07-30-10 02:50 PM
    I got the Seidio 2600mAh battery for my Tour which solved the ridiculous battery life problems. Of course that doesn't stop me from now utilizing a charger at home, at work & in my car.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=1pLfkXF5

The pringles-can signal technology causes the phone to be in a continual loop of suck. Sometimes it takes an act of God just to get a f****** text message out. The amount of drain it puts on the tour/battery is terrible.

It's a mystery to me how RIMM hasn't gotten sued for the boot times of these phones.
    07-30-10 04:16 PM
    Anyone have any idea on why it fixed battery draining issues after being left in my freezer for a few hours? I know that my batter drained quick because of over-heating problems. And my reception is always 1xEV 3 bars or more. It is really bizarre to me.

07-30-10 06:00 PM
    Sprint is FINALLY sending me a replacement. The very rude customer service employee hassled me for 15 minutes trying to convince me it was my fault it wasn't working. I doubt the new phone will fix the problems, but we'll see. By the way, am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that the battery is considered an accessory to the phone even though it's required for it to run? The employee said if the battery was the problem I'd have to pay for it myself!
    08-01-10 11:17 AM
    ...am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that the battery is considered an accessory to the phone even though it's required for it to run? The employee said if the battery was the problem I'd have to pay for it myself!
    I agree, batteries do not fit the true definition of 'accessory'; however, that's how they're categorized when being sold. Maybe it should be called a 'part'.

Anyway, aren't batteries covered under the device's warranty? Many, many people have had their [supposed defective] batteries replaced gratis.
    08-01-10 01:15 PM
    I have a sprint tour. When I am in a poor reception area, I get a very fast battery drain. This is a product of the CDMA radio.

Assuming you have checked for rogue programs (burning battery in background) I would take the phone back to Sprint and get another. Occasionally you get one with poor reception (bad antenna?).

Next, and what has worked for me, is to keep a charging cradle on your desk at work. Reception at my office is terrible and keeping it in a charging dock has me topped off all day.

If you can't get a dock to work for you, perhaps it is time to switch carriers (for better coverage). You can usually get a one week trial at other carriers.

Good luck,
    -Sean
    08-01-10 01:51 PM
    I too hate the customer service attitude I consistently get from Sprint phone centers-HATE the newish HR policies that base store employees' worth on inane/ subjective survey's rendering- a specific # of 5's must be met each month-so I never recognize the staff, let alone establish the old rapport I treasured w/them. BUT-with Sprint, clear signal everywhere-even on oft traveled Mountain passes where no other service touches. LOVE much about Tour but on my sixth replacement-all on trackball/OS issues-and Sprint always replaces but it takes hours of ugly combat to get thru blame, defensive posturing. Haven't ever found access to chain of command to be heard. RE: Battery, have coolest flip cases w/sleep when closed-and keep it safe, look cool and R thin leather. I stay connected to the net all day, send dozens of texts-battery lasts 16 hrs easy as long as I flip it shut between uses. Had great luck w/BB tech but they hv no power to replace-

08-01-10 03:19 PM
    I have a sprint tour. When I am in a poor reception area, I get a very fast battery drain. This is a product of the CDMA radio.

Assuming you have checked for rogue programs (burning battery in background) I would take the phone back to Sprint and get another. Occasionally you get one with poor reception (bad antenna?).

Next, and what has worked for me, is to keep a charging cradle on your desk at work. Reception at my office is terrible and keeping it in a charging dock has me topped off all day.

If you can't get a dock to work for you, perhaps it is time to switch carriers (for better coverage). You can usually get a one week trial at other carriers.

Good luck,
    -Sean
    Thanks for the advice, but the thing is that I don't want to have to keep a dock at my desk, I want it to have the battery life a smartphone should, one that lasts throughout the whole work day. And as for the coverage, that isn't the problem. The other phones on my account and my previous phone (Curve 8330m) have crystal clear reception for both data and voice all around my area, and mostly in my state. (NJ) Plus, Sprint is way too awesome to give up. All the free perks with a cheap price is awesome. I'll see if my problems get any better with the replacement which should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. I actually hope it kinda doesn't because I'm more excited to get a Hero. :P
    08-01-10 03:46 PM
    Hey, Matt-My kid has the hero thru Sprint and LOVES it-hope U get it. Wondering abt Ur statement abt Sprint and perks. While I have had them for 8 years, love the coverage, hv All Data plans, insur, & roadside srvs for 3 smartphones for less than $180 per mo, I endure Sprint. I used to be evangelistic in my pro-Sprint spirit. With my current rage at the continuing problems w/the Tour & Customer Service staff's attitude, lack of investment in finding a win/win outcome & inability/lack of interest to do anything to stop my revolving Tours (6), pls tell me of the perks U speak, oh Wise One, and help me find my Sprint religion agn?

08-01-10 06:02 PM
    OMG, I was actually seriously about to sell my brand spanking new, working flawlessly 8350 in a attempt to upgrade to the 9630(as a boostberry, w/ no ins or anything). But after reading this thread and a couple others, the 9630 sounds like it's a nightmare. Everyone in here has had 5 and 6 replacements already, which is something I really have to try to avoid since Ill be the one paying the replacement charge.

Is it really as bad as it sounds? Here I thought moving to the CDMA side and upgrading to the Tour would be a major improvement. Should I just be happy with my,although slow iden speeds, non the less working perfectly 8350i?
    08-02-10 02:03 AM
    Why entertain a Tour and not the Bold? The Tour has been EOL'd.

08-02-10 02:10 AM
    Believe me if I could Boostberry a Bold, I would already be on a mission to do so. Unfortunately, this is not possible(I believe so at least), my choices for upgrade are the 8330m and 9630 or the factory boost mobile 8330. I thought the obvious choice would be the 9630 but now I'm not so sure.
    08-02-10 02:25 AM

Good luck,
    -Sean

Very true.

When I used my Tour on a GSM carrier overseas, battery life improved TREMENDOUSLY because of this, and because I almost always had 5 bars wherever I went.
    08-02-10 07:05 AM
    Hey, Matt-My kid has the hero thru Sprint and LOVES it-hope U get it. Wondering abt Ur statement abt Sprint and perks. While I have had them for 8 years, love the coverage, hv All Data plans, insur, & roadside srvs for 3 smartphones for less than $180 per mo, I endure Sprint. I used to be evangelistic in my pro-Sprint spirit. With my current rage at the continuing problems w/the Tour & Customer Service staff's attitude, lack of investment in finding a win/win outcome & inability/lack of interest to do anything to stop my revolving Tours (6), pls tell me of the perks U speak, oh Wise One, and help me find my Sprint religion agn?

The perks I mean are the Sprint TV, the fact the data plan is the same for smartphones and dumbphones, and I guess that's it. :P

08-02-10 11:43 AM
    Here's another problem guys. In the already slow and clunky browser, I can't zoom in with the trackball, I have to go through the menu sometimes. And yes, zooming is enabled. Also, sometimes when I try to click on a link, it takes a few clicks to register. Is this a browser issue, or the trackball? (Which I have had no problems with so far lol)

08-02-10 01:01 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD