I've seen it posted before that Sprint customers have taken in their Tours to a Sprint store to get some things fixed. Is this true?

Does anyone know if a Tour owner on a different service provider can take their phone in and get it repaired by a Sprint tech? I'm sure there would be some fees involved if they would even do this, but I would like to know if they would even do this to begin with.

If I take it into a VZW store, even one with a tech available at the location, they still try to get me to take a refurbished one instead. I just want the trackball assembly replaced not the entire phone as I don't trust refurbished phones (never had a good replacement before and I've had several in the past).

The first question is whether they would even fixed it to begin with.
    01-17-10 05:25 PM
    Sprint will usually repair the trackball at an in-store repair center. There have been a few people I've known that had the early trackball replaced with a Curve version, then returned when a replacement Tour trackball was available.

If you have the Total Equipment Protection, they will do this at no charge to you. There is a charge if you don't have the TEP.

Sprint is usually pretty good about making the minor repairs like that as quickly as possible. I've had various repairs on devices over the years, and the longest wait I had in-store was an hour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 06:57 PM
    Sprint will usually repair the trackball at an in-store repair center. There have been a few people I've known that had the early trackball replaced with a Curve version, then returned when a replacement Tour trackball was available.

If you have the Total Equipment Protection, they will do this at no charge to you. There is a charge if you don't have the TEP.

Sprint is usually pretty good about making the minor repairs like that as quickly as possible. I've had various repairs on devices over the years, and the longest wait I had in-store was an hour.

Thanks for replying BergerKing, but you misunderstood my question.

What I'm trying to get at is will Sprint fix a Tour that is not one of their own? I'm not a Sprint/Nextel customer but I am a VZW customer. I want to know if they would fix mine regardless of my not being a customer of theirs. I would expect some sort of charge if they would even do this to begin with. That's the question I want answered.
    01-17-10 07:10 PM
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I would contact the store and see if they might do this. I have seen cases where they would, but on an idividual by case basis.

If not, I would contact the folks at bbrepairshop.com in Houston, Texas. They will give you a solid quote, back up their work, and overnight ship and return your Tour ASAP. Usually a next-day type of thing.

01-17-10 07:16 PM
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I would contact the store and see if they might do this. I have seen cases where they would, but on an idividual by case basis.

If not, I would contact the folks at bbrepairshop.com in Houston, Texas. They will give you a solid quote, back up their work, and overnight ship and return your Tour ASAP. Usually a next-day type of thing.

Thank you.
    01-17-10 07:18 PM
    Verizon wants to swap the phones because they usually (at least here) don't have a dedicated in-house technician. All Sprint stores here have one since Sprint prefers to try to correct issues before replacing the phone.

Since you're not a Sprint customer, you'll probably have to use a 3rd party repair shop. The 1-year manufacturer warranty is between RIM and the carrier, not between RIM and the consumer. If Sprint opens a Verizon's unit, that would mean your warranty will be terminated.
    01-17-10 08:23 PM
    I've seen it posted before that Sprint customers have taken in their Tours to a Sprint store to get some things fixed. Is this true?

Does anyone know if a Tour owner on a different service provider can take their phone in and get it repaired by a Sprint tech? I'm sure there would be some fees involved if they would even do this, but I would like to know if they would even do this to begin with.

If I take it into a VZW store, even one with a tech available at the location, they still try to get me to take a refurbished one instead. I just want the trackball assembly replaced not the entire phone as I don't trust refurbished phones (never had a good replacement before and I've had several in the past).

The first question is whether they would even fixed it to begin with.
    I work at a Sprint service and repair center. Here at the store I work at...we are not allowed to take the Blackberry Tour apart.

At my store as well...we are not allowed to take apart phones of other service providers because of the liability. If something were to go wrong during the repair we have no way of replacing the phone nor do we have a way of compensating you for the damage caused. So we are not allowed to handle phones from other carriers.

That being said...that is how things work at my store. I cant completely speak for other Sprint stores in other areas but I would assume it would be the same.
    01-17-10 09:46 PM
    yeah, at the sprint store in my town, they dont do repairs, they just replace them with new phones :/ If you have the Equipment protection, theyll do it free of charge, i was on my 5th HTC Touch Pro, and i got rid of it, and now im on my second Tour, the new one will be here friday. Just make sure you have the EPP and ask for a replacement. They should accommodate you.
    01-20-10 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD